IGNORED

New iphone....

BULLman

Nobody has talked about the new 3G iphone for $199, what do the old users think of the new phone and the new price?

Funny video about what will happen to you if you unlock your iphone...

linky

BULLman - stirring the pot, because he's an itouch owner [lol]

Crazy_Canuck

I currently have an iPhone and love it! The new iPhone will GPS and 3G which is nice. The price is awesome!

Any other iPhone lovers out there?

PS I posted this with my iPhone ;-)

DavidEBSmith

I just spent 5 days in an area not too far off a major US route where there was no GSM service which means the 3G and the GPS on the new iPhone would be useless.

And it wasn't Torrey, but last time I was there, there wasn't any GSM there, either.

My Sprint Treo worked pretty well, though, for voice and data, albeit slow 1X data. It's not sexy cool like the iPhone, all it does is perform some useful functions.

Face it dood...yer a tech freak.

Will it work in Torrey?

MB>

My I-Phone works pretty good in Torrey.....I'll prolly check out the new one.

My "old one" could use some improvement. :dopeslap:

Whip

bakerzdosen

Huh... according to AT&T it won't work in Torrey for cell calls. It would obviously still do wireless. However, I'm not going to argue with Whip. :)

That's not stopping me from getting one next month. If they don't have enough supply for business customers, well, that might stop me. But lack of Torrey coverage won't.

Huh... according to AT&T it won't work in Torrey for cell calls. It would obviously still do wireless. However, I'm not going to argue with Whip. :)

That's not stopping me from getting one next month. If they don't have enough supply for business customers, well, that might stop me. But lack of Torrey coverage won't.

I think Killer told us they put up a new tower.....it worked great.

Whip

Nobody has talked about the new 3G iphone for $199, what do the old users think of the new phone and the new price?

I put off buying the first generation iPhone, not because of the lack of 3G, but because of the fact that it didn't have a real GPS. Now that the iPhone will have real GPS capabilities, I'll happily take the faster download speeds of 3G along with it.

I'm not a current iPhone owner, but my wifey has an iPod Touch, which I play with whenever she leaves it laying around. It's really phenomenally good technology: it's intuitive and everything actually works as it should. This latter point is something that should not go unnoticed: I've spent many a dollar on techno-gear that never operated properly, or farted so often that it was nearly unusable (my Windows-Mobile Treo comes immediately to mind). Apple's stuff not only wows you, it actually works.

Crazy_Canuck

Will it work in Torrey?

MB>

Yes I am a techno nerd\freak, and Yes it worked in Torrey...quite well actually. ;-)

Will it work in Torrey?

MB>

Yes I am a techno nerd\freak, and Yes it worked in Torrey...quite well actually. ;-)

I was so irked by this. You were surfing the net and e-mailing the wifey from our room while my laptop was useless. Hi Rob, see ya July:wave:

Apple's stuff not only wows you, it actually works.

I agree the itouch works very well, but I've spent alot of money on the accessories that I "needed" for it.

Worst of all, itunes totally bogs down my computer :eek:

...another accessory I'll soon have to buy :dopeslap:

I love my iPhone and might get the new one for my wife. The 3G phone I had before the iPhone didn't get 3G signal in my office or home, so it defaulted to the Edge network in those locations anyway. So for me upgrading isn't that big of a deal. I haven't looked it up yet, but there is probably a price increase of around $20 per month to use the 3G network over the edge network. I know that was the case last year, because when I got my iphone my bill actually went down compared to the 3G plan.

As others have mentioned, it is user friendly and it flat out works. I've had a few other smart phones and I like the iPhone better than any of them. On paper the other phones looked better and may have had better features, but in actual use I just love the iPhone.

bakerzdosen

From what's been said, with an individual plan, it's $10/mo more. Business plans are $45/mo on top of voice.

Crazy_Canuck
I love my iPhone and might get the new one for my wife. The 3G phone I had before the iPhone didn't get 3G signal in my office or home, so it defaulted to the Edge network in those locations anyway. So for me upgrading isn't that big of a deal. I haven't looked it up yet, but there is probably a price increase of around $20 per month to use the 3G network over the edge network. I know that was the case last year, because when I got my iphone my bill actually went down compared to the 3G plan.

As others have mentioned, it is user friendly and it flat out works. I've had a few other smart phones and I like the iPhone better than any of them. On paper the other phones looked better and may have had better features, but in actual use I just love the iPhone.

You are right the cost per month is $10 more for data and you get have to pay an extra $5 for text messages. See some interesting info on the table below. Interesting to look at the 2 year cost.

2573928644_542f0cd550_o.jpg

I've had mine since day one (though I didn't/wouldn't stand in line) and would replace it with another if it broke. I tried many other other 'smart' phones long before the iPhone came out, and hated them. The iPhone is the first phone I've ever used for anything other than a simple communication device. (And the phone it replaced for me didn't even have a calculator function...)

The addition of 3G to the new one is nice, though I find that the Edge connection is generally adequate.

Built in GPS is a big addition for most people. The GPS emulator on the existing one is okay in a pinch, IF you have a connection, but actual GPS is nice to have. (But then, I've got a StreetPilot in the cars and on the bike, so I don't use the iPhone GPS anyway...)

I expect you'll see a load of the old iPhones on eBay, as early adopter move to the new one.

bakerzdosen

Two points:

a) Nothing has done more to convince me to get an iPhone than the Blackberry 8800 "World Phone" that I carried around for a month recently. I can't believe people really haul those things around with them. Just sooo poorly designed and thought out. Blech.

b) I just figured that if I'm going to be paying $40 or so a month extra for a data plan, it'd better be one that I actually WANT to use. That's the major reason I didn't get the first gen one after they announced corporate plans were able to have iPhones on them.

Lets_Play_Two

The weakest part I find of the Iphone is typing text messages and typing and actually sending e-mail messages. They've got to improve that if they want to tangle with RIM for the corporate market.

I inadvertently got one last fall after I bought it for my wife thinking it was a good idea. I knew nothing about them when I saw it in the AT&T store as I went in for some other purpose, but it seemed so intuitive, friendly, and flat lovely that I knew she'd like it.

She hated it. "Too much technology," she said (she's an aerospace engineering support manager, for God's sake!) so she paid for it and gave it to me as a present - my kind of girl!) Then I bought her a watch with shiny pebbles on it and she was happy.

I think it's terrific, and there has been a repercussion. I'd never, ever, even touched Apple equipment, but a couple weeks with the thing and I decided that Mr. Jobs has been right all along: Bill Gates IS the antichrist. I'm due to replace my laptop. The new one will be an Apple.

Pilgrim

Archived