IGNORED

Seen many hummingbirds?

Geezer

We regularly keep hummingbird feeders filled all summer long starting in March here in central Virginia and generally have a number of the hummers feeding each day. Not so this year. There was one male who was around for about a week and now, nothing. I know that proper cleaning of the feeder is important as is fresh nectar so I'm pretty sure that I haven't killed them off. Last year we had eighteen fighting over feeding rights so this absence is particularly noticeable.

I've checked with some neighbors who are experiencing the same thing. So how is it where you are? Is this purely local to us or is it more widespread?

We have a couple feeders at work now. There always seems to be some dominant male that guards the feeders. One friend up in the Sierras that get a goodly migration of 7 types of humbugs had 5 feeders on the deck. 4 were claimed by Mr bully bird and the 5th was the common trough where all the birds fed if they weren't trying to irrate the other 4 males.

Having a feeders means being able to get your camera right next to their beaks once they get used to you too! We are so big that they don't see us as a threat if your movements are slow. :wave:

Our cabin has had the same thing--hardly any there. I put the feeder out for a week before it had barely a sip taken from it. Then they drained it in a day (yesterday). So it's been slow, but building. I miss 'em.

We have two feeders in our yard here in the Bay Area. There are two families that we have identified and there is constant bullying and excited chirping.

The feeding seems to go in spurts and lately there have been a lot of new flyers about. I think the nestlings have taken wing.

DaveTheAffable

Hummingbirds are SO way cool. For you southern california folks, this place is close, and a neat little ride into orange county - Tucker Wildlife and Hummingbirds

They have a nice little wildlife center, and LOTS of humingbirds that you can get very close too.

Last year we almost had to fight them off also. This year I've seen one and even then I never saw him drink anything. What is up?

too old to care

We regularly keep hummingbird feeders filled all summer long starting in March here in central Virginia and generally have a number of the hummers feeding each day. Not so this year. There was one male who was around for about a week and now, nothing. I know that proper cleaning of the feeder is important as is fresh nectar so I'm pretty sure that I haven't killed them off. Last year we had eighteen fighting over feeding rights so this absence is particularly noticeable.

I've checked with some neighbors who are experiencing the same thing. So how is it where you are? Is this purely local to us or is it more widespread?

Same here, last few years they were all over the place, fighting over our two feeders (one in front of house, one in back). This year, nothing. I did see one sample the mixture, but flew off. I am using the same mixture as last year too.

Hey Geezer

I grew up in Richmond and have fond memories of cruising the Skyline Dr./BRP and sitting at the Afton exit/I-64 trying to talk to people on the CB back in Richmond.

Regarding hummingbirds we have a feeder and see them quite regularly here in H.B. We try to keep it full all the time. It is amazing how fast they can empty it. Just checked the level and it still full. Thanks for the reminder.

P.S. How about taking a ride for me on the Skyline Dr. My street riding did not start until 3 months before I moved to Ca. so I have never ridden the S.D. or BRP on a bike. Maybe one of these years.

Hey, keithb;

Interesting, I grew up in Long Beach, CA and migrated to Va. So I guess you and I just changed places. When it gets hot here, which it just did, I live on the BRP so, yes, tomorrow's ride is for you!

So far it looks like the loss of hummers is an east coast thing and the population is healthy in the west. I miss them.

We don't have any this year either. Usually two or three buzzing each other to get to the feeder. I'm in North Carolina, in the Piedmont area.

We put out the feeder when the Coral Honeysuckle starts blooming in the Spring.

In the spring and early summer there is a lot of natural food around and I think that's why we've only seen a couple each day. I have hibiscuc and petunias on my deck and I've seen them at the flowers even though the feeder is hanging right there. When the flowers start dying away and aren't so abundant anymore in Sept/Oct they will be looking for the feeders so leave those feeders up folks.

In September there were so many around my two deck feeders that we made sure we were wearing some kind of eye protection because they were darting by us so fast I was afraid we'd get stuck in the eye with one. No kidding.

Jerry_75_Guy

My wife and I anxiously await the arrival of the hummers each spring; we really enjoy watching them.

There is a site (hummingbirds.com??) that posts a northerly migration map, and we watch it closely to note when they might start showing up in our area (usually early April for central Indiana, but we don't tend to catch a glimpse until ~2 to 4 weeks later than the earliest report for our area).

We've had a fair number working our feeders so far this season, but they do seem to have shown up later, and in fewer numbers that the last few seasons...dunno why.

....There is a site (hummingbirds.com??) that posts a northerly migration map, and we watch it closely to note when they might start showing up in our area (usually early April for central Indiana, but we don't tend to catch a glimpse until ~2 to 4 weeks later than the earliest report for our area)......

Find map here.

Edit: this map is (only) for Spring 2008 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

but other (past) years of this same variety are available.

We've had about our usual number in Utah. Actually, maybe a few more than usual. They're fun to watch. I carry their feeder out to hang it up and they try to feed even before I can hook it on the tree.

bakerzdosen
We've had about our usual number in Utah. Actually, maybe a few more than usual.
I was actually gonna say the same thing, but since I haven't been paying very close attention, I thought perhaps I was wrong.

Last year I had 4 females and 1 male frequenting the feeders relentlessy. Then one day in August a Peregrin Falcon showed up. EVERY bird scattered including dozens of Gold Finches. Never saw another Hummer or Gold FInch the rest of the season. This year I have 1 female who appears at random

Funny you should say that...I was just commenting to Michelle yesterday that we don't have the same number of Hummies as in all previous years. Used to have two to three pairs at the house but now it's only one pair. And they don't seem to visit that often.

I wondered if the early violent weather in the midwest disturbed their migration route, or worse!

(lots of turkeys though)

Jurgen

25thAnniversaryNovaScotia367.jpg

Saw this one in Nova Scotia.

Put it in our saddlebags, but Canadian Customs made us set it free. :/

Slightly off topic, but what do most of you feed your Hummers?

Do you buy a mix or just use sugar at the 1 part sugar, 4 parts water?

Also, do you bother boiling the sugar water or just mix it?

Last, how often do you clean the feeders?

I use the liquid mix....its red which is silly cause nectar isn't red but the hummers like it, I guess the color is more for our appeal than theirs. I clean and change it once a week no matter what.

russell_bynum

We've had one named George who seems to like the plant outside our kitchen window the last few years. That plant nearly died in a freeze over the winter and we hadn't seen him for a while. But...it's making a recovery and we saw George again last week.

I make it with 1 c sugar to 4 cups of water. I boil it in the microwave in a large pyrex measuring cup. It sometimes takes a long time (up to about 8 or 9 minutes) to fully dissolve.

I keep the nectar refrigerated in a closed container, and use it to refill the feeders about once a week.

I usually clean between feedings with very hot water, but if I see deposits of any kind, I use hot water and vinegar.

Jerry_75_Guy

4 to 1 ratio, water to sugar, bring water to a boil on the stove, pour in the sugar along with a bit of red food coloring (I'm assuming that makes the clear glass feeder stand out better, but that's just a guess) and stir for about 30sec. until all the sugar melts.

I thought about trying the mixes, but the birds seem to like the sugar quite a bit, and it's cheap, so we haven't bothered yet.

I do wonder on occasion, though, whether we should be thinking about adding additional 'nutrients' of one kind or another, but haven't research the idea yet.

I do wonder on occasion, though, whether we should be thinking about adding additional 'nutrients' of one kind or another, but haven't research the idea yet.

They don't need it. Hummers get most of their nourishment from insects. They sip nectar to top off the tank, so to speak.

They don't need it. .....

Nor do they need red food coloring. In fact it may harm them.

That & much more here.

George is pissed about that plant! It's less than half its normal size. He comes flying up to the kitchen window (the height the plant is normally at), and (yes, I know I am reading in to this), he shoots me this WTF? look, then flies down to where the plant sits now and gets his drink from the flowers near the ground. Haven't seen him back since then. We can get better plants, gosh darn it, or George won't patronize us. :-)

George is pissed about that plant! It's less than half its normal size. He comes flying up to the kitchen window (the height the plant is normally at), and (yes, I know I am reading in to this), he shoots me this WTF? look, then flies down to where the plant sits now and gets his drink from the flowers near the ground. Haven't seen him back since then. We can get better plants, gosh darn it, or George won't patronize us. :-)

Yep, you got a Hummer with attitude! Be careful when you go outside.

They don't need it. .....

Nor do they need red food coloring. In fact it may harm them.

That & much more here.

That's good info, thanks.

Then I'm glad they're preferring the hibiscus and petunias over the mix in the feeder. I'll keep the 2 hibiscus and 5 petunia plants healthy and going as long as they can this year.

Archived