IGNORED

1981 R65

rusty41251

rusty41251

I used to have an 1100 and then an 1150 RT. Due to conditions they had to go and I am down to a very used Honda GL-500 Silverwing. It is actually ok other than its falling apart. I see a 1981 R65 on craigs list that looks really nice. Are they ok for a BIG guy (300 pounds) like me? Thanks for any info.

Rusty Weil

rusty41251

As an ad-on, it is a 1980 not an '81 for $2,800 with 20K on it. Parts are available, right? Any special issues with these?

It ought to go at least as well as that GL-500 don't you think? I live near the Sierras at 5,000 feet.

Paul Mihalka

Not that the R65 would not do the job, but for somebody your size I would look for a R100 same time period. It would fit you better and would go better. They can be found in the same price range.

I rode and R65LS 217K miles before parting company. I weighed 140/145 during that time. With a three hundred pounder the bike may seem more like suppository. They have 50hp on a good day with new diaphrams in the carbs. It's a better bike for a smaller folk.

I had an '82 R65 for quite a few years. They are nice bikes.

I'm a big guy too, but I wasn't when I bought it. (insert embarrassed guy here) IMHO, it's not a bike for someone of your size.

As far as issues, the early ones had valve guide problems if I remember correctly. Not sure what years though.

Some of the early "snowflake" wheels also had cracking issues too, but I don't remember if it included the R65. (BMW was good with replacing them)

Blue Book has always listed a high re-sale on the R65s, but I've seen them sit on dealer floors a long time when asking BB prices.(again, IMHO)

I never owned one, but always like the R65LS. Mine was the RS next to it taken back in 1983 - anybody know where? (no cheating by searching past posts!) I still have original period BMW brochures if a scan or three are desired...

Jeff

304947929.jpg

Archived