IGNORED

Another date to remember........

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

... for Europeans, Americans and Canadians

Today is June 6th...... aka D-Day back in 1944. The day that started a major change and for better or for worse started to shape the world as we know it today !

Many young men lost their lives in giving us our freedom back, and they need to be remembered !

74786878_Hbnuh-L.jpg

Thank you for posting that Francois. My father and brother have one of those white crosses, although in a national cemetery here...All those who have fallen for the cause of freedom should be remembered...

Motto of the Old Guard - "A soldier never dies until he is forgotten, and a Tomb Guard never forgets.”

REVz

Thank you, Francois, for the reminder of the date and the picture. I see you took it. Where is the location? Out of curiosity, does the US or the local country maintain these cemeteries? Nice, but sad, picture. My sister's dad (mother's first husband) is over there somewhere.

Another thanks Francois.....I have a cousin who is still there...Died flying troops in the ill-conceived "Bridge Too Far" offensive....He still is 21 years old....

Phil..........Redbrick

Francois_Dumas

Hi Al, yes I took it on one of my Normandy trips. It is the largest American WW2 cemetery on European soil, at Coleville. Overlooking 'Omaha Beach'.

I think it is being maintained by the US government: http://www.abmc.gov/home.php

This is a view from the burial grounds onto the Ocean, and Omaha Beach below:

74786873_foQiy-M.jpg

PhillyFlash

Thanks for posting this, Francois.

For those who have XM radio, channel 4, the 40s station, is playing music that was popular in 1944 interspersed with actual newsbroadcasts from June 6. Interesting to hear how the events were presented as they were happening. Give a listen.

I just got back from a visit to Arlington National Cemetery....

Thanks for the D-Day reminder

Whip

Thank you for posting. The young men that participated that day were all heros.

Not to hijack the thread too much, but June 5, 1968 was the date reported that we lost our second nuclear submarine with all 99 souls aboard (USS Scorpion). Few remember this due to the assassination of Bobby Kennedy on that day. Calm winds, and following seas my brothers.

Scorpion

Matts_12GS

Omaha and the large cemetary there are some of my most vivid memories from my last visit to France. Thanks Francois.

I recall the old Brit joke about life in England for the Americans...

From the Brit perspective we were:

Over paid

Over sexed and

Over here

and from the American perspective the Brits were:

Under paid

Under appreciated

Under Ike...

Thanks to those who went on before that gave me the opportunity to continue your fight for freedom. USN 1983-1993.

Paul_Burkett

This is a solemn reminder that freedom is not free, and the cost of freedom, unfortunately, is payed with blood and sacrifice and pain both on that day and for years to come.

Thank you reminding us, these men were heros.

Francois - thank you for posting

All gave some, some gave all.

I do not know who said that but it is very true.

Cherish your freedoms and make their sacrifices count.

aWESOME...many thanks for reminding most of us that today IS today in history. Haunting pix...

Thank you for posting. The young men that participated that day were all heros.

Not to hijack the thread too much, but June 5, 1968 was the date reported that we lost our second nuclear submarine with all 99 souls aboard (USS Scorpion). Few remember this due to the assassination of Bobby Kennedy on that day. Calm winds, and following seas my brothers.

Scorpion

took the words out of my mouth

Archived