IGNORED

Life Next to a Murder in a Small Town

David

We got a call at 5:00a this morning from a neighbor, followed by three other calls: another neighbor, a developer, and a contractor. All were calling to warn us of a killing one-half mile from our place in the mountains.

story link here

Three officers were serving a warrant at ca. 2:00a. One officer--two weeks on the job--was killed. Another lived because his vest redirected the bullet.

So it's been major lockdown here, as well as helicopters, roadblocks, cars patrolling everywhere, etc.

We've been holed up for most of the day, but I scared myself to death this afternoon. I slipped out to let the dogs do their thing and heard a heavy rustling in the woods (the woods are very deep around here). I spin around to see the threat and see our neighbors escaped donkey galloping straight at me. :/ I've never been that happy to see a donkey running straight at an ass.

They still haven't found him, so it should be an interesting night. It's amazing what living in a small community is like, though, to have four different parties call you just to make sure you knew. One said, "I knew you didn't have family, so I wanted to make sure you had heard."

Serving process can be ultra hazardous. Our town is bigger, but the process server we use met a similar fate a week ago, while out making service for someone else.

LINK

Damn shame; he was a very nice person, and exceedingly good at his job. Shook up our whole office.

bakerzdosen

I'm not able to put this very politically correctly, but if I had to choose one of the shootings to be "successfully fatal" (of the individuals he shot,) I sure think it would have been better had the last been fatal rather than the first... But with that said, a part of me is glad he wasn't able to successfully take the "easy way out."

Archived