IGNORED

First Earthquake

Jacqueline

Jacqueline

About a half hour ago I felt my first earthquake :eek:... it felt like someone hit the house was a huge vehicle... re-thinking California ... :grin:.

You felt that dinky little thing????

Wait until the earth really moves for you! (via an earthquake, that is :eek: )

ShovelStrokeEd

Last time I felt one, I was on the 14th floor of a 14 story hotel in Saitama, JP. First indication was finding myself on the floor instead of in bed. The sound was more like a really low sub-bass. Lasted about 15 seconds.

Had another a couple of years before in San Dimas, CA. Don't remember the exact time but there were standing waves in the swimming pool nearly 2 feet high. Pretty good side to side rocker, the one in Japan was more up and down.

Post facto, it is easy to marvel at the forces nature can bring and how insignificant we really are. Even a little thunder boomer like we get down here in S. Fla packs a huge amount of energy when you consider the mass of air flowing required to make one. Reminds one that any time Mother Gaea gets pissed, the entire human race is gone. We are no more than a mild rash and have only been around a very, very short time compared to the age of the planet.

BeniciaRT_GT

We are only 12 miles from the epicenter of it. I was on the phone with JoeG (He's on a trip from hell) and it was fun watching her on her first quake.

It was a good break in quake. Extremely short.

AdventurePoser

We are only 12 miles from the epicenter of it. I was on the phone with JoeG (He's on a trip from hell) and it was fun watching her on her first quake.

Richard,

For the Love of Humanity, get rid of that avatar, I beg you....

Steve in So Cal

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Just so we all have our facts together; It's not officially an "earthquake" until I get an emergency recall.

Yep... I experienced a 1.7 or 1.9 quake once. Epicenter was directly beneath our factory in Anaheim. Amazing what proximity can do.

Glad it wasn't a 6+!

Richard keep the Avatar it's you...

I can see it now, a Purple leotard riding out those Big quakes with that Bufant Hair doo. :wave:

Ed, that reminds me of an earthquake in Tokyo. I was on the 6th floor in our apartment at the time... taking a shower.

Jacqueline, if you stick around you'll get used to the rumblers. You'll sit there for the first couple seconds and think "that feels like a 4.2" and then go back to reading. After a few of those, you'll know it when you feel a big one.

Francois_Dumas

Not sure which I'd prefer...... the house coming down on me because of an earthquake.... or the house flying off because of a hurricane........ :grin::grin:

Can't you guys find someplace nice and quiet somewhere? That country is big enough to have some choice in the matter !!! :grin:

I'm with you, DInky! The Northridge quake woke me up raoring. Bounced the house pretty well. I'm 20 miles from epicenter and on the phone to daughter in basement of a hospital in Long Beach when we had an after shock. Heard it first and described it to daughter. Couple moments later she says I hear it coming. Fascinating if the ceiling isn't on your head!

Oh and we do get Tornados in California too! :eek:

ShovelStrokeEd

Fransois,

Actually, we can't. Just about every region in the country lies on or near to a fault. There is a huge one in the western Kentucky area, another in the southern Appalachian mountains. The entire east coast is subject to hurricanes, the west to tsunami and quakes. The center to tornadoes and severe thunderstorms not to mention extremes of temperature.

Very few places in the world where you can ride for an entire day at 80 mph and not leave the state, though. Gas is still cheap by world standards and most of the country is still relatively empty so scenery and solitude are readily available.

I ain't moving soon.

... it felt like someone hit the house was a huge vehicle... :grin:.

Ahhh, life with Richard. :grin:

Francois, at least we can see a hurricane coming. :dopeslap:

Just buy your waterfront property in Utah,

now.

You did practice safe earthquake drill, right?

Just buy your waterfront property in Utah,

now.

You did practice safe earthquake drill, right?

Huh?

We got earthquakes and tornados too. There is even some modeling that suggests if a quake hits just right we can get a tsunami like effect off the stink'in lake.

Statistically, we're overdue for a big one. However, unlike CA, most of our building are not engineered to withstand it.

Jan

Dennis Andress

When the house sways back and forth in two directions at once it's time to step outside.....

For the Love of Humanity, get rid of that avatar, I beg you....

Steve

Thanks you sooooooo much for beating me to your above statement.

questrider
About a half hour ago I felt my first earthquake :eek:... it felt like someone hit the house was a huge vehicle... re-thinking California ... :grin:.

Your "huge vehicle" comparison brings up a similar memory:

Living in Illinois, earthquakes just "never" happen. A few years ago I was sitting at the computer at about 1am and heard a quick two-second crescendo of low bass that sounded like a train and then the house cracked as if a vehicle hit the house. The cats freaked out. My eyes were wide open. I go outside with a flashlight and there is nothing but darkness and crickets in relative silence. I was expecting to find a vehicle had hit our house but there was nothing. The next morning, of course, the news was all about the "earthquake". I knew it was still nothing compared to California but it freaked me out nonetheless.

I can't even imagine an earthquake of magnitude that would last more than just a few seconds. I'm sure it validates that the earth is awesome and we are merely an insignificant presence to its indigestion.

I was living in Hollywood on a 1-yr. assignment during the Northridge quake in '94. Sure scared the bejeezus out of me.

For the next two weeks every time there was an aftershock I dove under the desk. While meanwhile all the LA 'natives' around me barley missed a word or a keystroke!

Archived