IGNORED

Camera Lens Repair/Cleaning?

Bob Palin

Now I have two Canon lenses out of commission, my standard zoom won't auto focus and on Sunday I dropped my wide angle zoom in a pond, water got inside and it's useless. I know that Canon offers a repair service and I hear that it is $300 per lens pretty much whatever is wrong with it - it's not that I necessarily think that's unreasonable but I'd like to know of alternatives too. It has to be some place I can send the lenses since I'm way out here in the middle of everywhere. Is it worth paying $300 to repair a $500 lens? It is probably well worth $300 for the wide angle which costs $800 but are the results likely to be satisfactory?

I am taking my Sigma in to Tempe Camera Repair tomorrow Killer. Will ask them what they charge for you.

Kaisr

Bob, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd do a little snooping at FredMiranda.com and see if they have a recommendation.

I had my Canon 28-135 repaired by Canon after an 'impact' and it cost me $160.00.

I hope that your costs will be as reasonable.

Bob,

What lenses are they exactly?

I ask because if they are older you might find there is now an image stabilized option, or an EF-S option. The "S" are lighter and more compact. Stabilization is of obvious benefit.

So, if you can't find anything better than $300, and a replacement is in the $500 - $600 range, you might choose to upgrade.

I agree with David, check Fred Miranda.

I'd assume $300 would get you a new housing and electronics with your old glass installed. But why not give Canon a call and ask.

Hope you get it all worked out!

Jan

The lenses are EF-S 10-22 and EF-S IS 17-85 - there's no IS version of the 10-22 presumably because they don't think you need it. There is a better 17-nn zoom but it's $900 which I can't afford.

Calvin  (no socks)

Sell the damaged ones to some dope on Ebay and charge $100 shipping and handling ... then buy a new one! :eek:

Have you looked at the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS? It's the new kit lens. I was trying to buy the body only, and get the 17-85 that you have, but the only "body only" price I could find was as much someone else's kit price. So I decided to give the kit lens a try, since my other lens is a 70-300, so I'm not missing too much focal length flexibility.

All the reviews say this new kit lens is a big improvement over previous kit lens. Still nothing like Canon's best, but a solid entry. It is soooo small and light! It can be had for less than $200. The major limitation is the rotating front element.

Anyway, if you want you can look at mine in Ouray.

SLRGear Review

Dpreview review

Now my turn: Do you use a high telephoto lens? Something in the 400mm range. Which one and why?

Jan

I use a polarizer quite a bit so don't really want a front rotating lens. I don't have a long telephoto, I mostly take landscapes so don't really need one. If I had the money though...

Send them in a get estimates. The most it will cost is the postage. You can call, but I doubt they will quote any prices over the phone. 800-828-4040

• 4 weeks later...

I found the Canon web page where you can submit a repair request

(https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OnlineRepairBookingAct), their standard fee is $93 and you send the item to one of their 3 repair centres. My lenses arrived there yesterday and today I got an email saying they couldn't repair the lens I dropped in the pond :cry: They are sending it back, wonder if it worth looking any further for possible cleaning.

edit: on the Canon page all lenses are listed under the EOS camera not the digital camera, even the EF-S lenses.

I've had a few repair experiences with Canon. They have been A One!!! They have even repaired an item that was out of warranty.

Anyway, you might be able to find replacement lenses on ebay.

Archived