IGNORED

Leaky alkaline batteries...

Gregori

Here's a stumper...

I had some batteries that leaked in one of my kid's annoying noisemaker toys, causing some corrosion and mess. He likes it, so I'd like to repair the silly thing.

I called the battery manufacturer, since they warranty the things against causing damage, and of course they give the typical instructions for cleaning it up. That's "mix water and baking soda to make a paste, and apply it to neutralize.. blah blah blah..."

So I asked the phone rep - if it's an ALKALINE battery, why am I putting a BASE on it? Wouldn't an ACID neutralize an alkaline mess? (Alkaline batteries typically use potassium hydroxide - with a pH 12 or more...)

He didn't know. "Uh - that's just in the script, please hold."

The supervisor didn't know either. He told me he thought it was an excellent point, he understood the concept, but had never thought about it, and nobody has ever asked before.

Rather than figure it out, they're just going to send me a check for the toy, and a coupon for new batteries.

But I'd like to know why they give that answer - anyone here smarter than a battery manufacturer?

(Maybe I should have PMed Mitch?!) :D

To clean up the mess from a leaky alkaline battery I would use water and cotton buds, or a stiff brush, to clear out the worst of the gunk. I would follow this up with a swab-down with vinegar, followed up by a final swabbing out with water. Dry using warm air.

Andy

Andy - that's what I did, despite their instructions....

I tested the solutions on the leaky batteries first - white vinegar gave me the 'fizz' that tells me it's reacting, while baking soda has no reaction... But I'm still curious why they'd be giving the baking soda directions, since it's not like alkaline batteries are exactly a new technology?

motoguy128

Probably because the generic response for leaking batteries is for lead acid batteries, where you need MUST neutralize the acid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery

another quick google search:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03011.htm

So mixing acetic acid (vinegar) and potassium hydroxide, yields water and potassium acetate (salt).

You bring up a good point. Baking soda and potasium hydroxide would yield...umm nothing... except that it might help absorb the liquid. So would corn starch.... or cellulose (paper towel)

Right - the 'old' response to leaking batteries is baking soda. (Zinc-carbon batteries are filled with ammonium chloride, and ARE acidic, so it's an appropriate response for that type of battery.)

But with the advent (and dominance) of alkaline batteries, you'd hope the the manufacturers would change their response to leakage issues. (Particularly when they've already identified what kind of battery you had leaking!)

Lemon juice or vinegar are common household acids that would neutralize the high pH - why not tell people to use THOSE? As you know - baking soda does nothing. (Though water *will* of course dilute and clean some of the mess...)

Just for laughs I went into my battery stash. I'm not particularly brand conscious, so I have several different ones including: Duracell, Ray-O-Vac, Radio Shack, and a couple more... The ONLY ones in the bunch that aren't Alkaline are the Lithium camera batteries, which I've never seen leak. (And for that matter, I don't know if the electrolyte is acidic or alkaline.)

I guess I'll file this one under: "It's just the way we've always done it."

Lithium batteries use acidic eletrolites BUT, Lithium reacts violently with water and nitrogen. DO NOT USE WATER if a lithium batteries fail. In fact, the atmospheric nitrogen will react violently with lithium, as will the moisture in the air. I have seen a machined alloy box ruptured by a failed lithium-thional-chloride battery - from charging - a big no-no with that type.

Andy

Lithium, Sodium and Potassium: great fun at a beach party!

(Not that I would do such a thing, of course...)

Baking soda is great for neutralizing both strong acids and strong bases.

Although it is slightly basic, it has very high buffering capacity, equal capacity to neutralize acid or base, is inexpensive and generally safe to handle.

Jan

Baking soda is great for neutralizing both strong acids and strong bases.

Although it is slightly basic, it has very high buffering capacity, equal capacity to neutralize acid or base, is inexpensive and generally safe to handle.

Jan

That's why I am addicted to reading this DB - always learning something new, useful or interesting! Now, if I could only remember all the good stuff I read!

Archived