IGNORED

Update from Mom (mine)

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

I have received so many kind mails and posts here and elsehwre... thank you all for that !!!!

Here's a quick update on the situation:

Mom had surgery today, after a 'rough' week. Rough in terms of not knowing what would be next, how serious things are and what chances the doctors still see. Rough for Mom, of course, but also for Dad and even for us.

We've been visiting as much as we could and have regularly 'bent' the visiting rules here and there. Mom had a room of her own, so that made things easier.

After more checks and a lot of probing, we had a meeting with the surgeons on Thursday. They told Mom (and us) that they needed to do a 'stoma' operation to begin with, to relieve her of immediate great discomfort.

They also told her the cancer has spread too much and is too big to cut away. That was a major bummer, obviously.

They also told us that they can't make her 'any better' anymore.

Although you can imagine that such things hit home pretty hard, it somehow helped Mom apparently, because she got visibly better after that conversation.

She was feeling so bad because there was no certainty.

Anyway, today she was under surgery, and we spent the past 43 hours with her when she woke up. She was VERY cheerful and really has hospital staff laugh out loud on many occasions.

The don't often see a 88 year old fragile woman that has never been to hospital and tells them she doesn't like old people.. they nag her too much !!!

She was released from intensive care after 2 hours and now lies on the surgery ward and things will be quiet for the nxt 2 days. Then it will be decided what(if any) next actions will take place.

As we see it she may never be getting out of bed anymore.. she can't walk and needs constant help. But at least today was another one with smiles and laughs and she's beaten the odds for another day.

She also insisted that SHE pays for our trailer (the one I'll pick up tomorrow). I told her 'no way'..... and she then told Dad to put the money in my pocket or in my bank account.

I tell ya, there is no arguing with THAT lady !!! :grin::grin: She also told me to go and pick up that trailer tomorrow and go riding on Sunday !

She is now showing my Florida book (that she hadn't seen yet herself until now) to all the hospital staff, so I may sell one or two of those as well..... (she will threaten them !!). She also said to send greetings to the people in those pictures !

Today I went to their house to make pictures of all the flowers in her garden.. she wanted to make certain Dad is not killing them all by accident.... I'll take her the pictures tomorrow :grin:

We're having fun with her for as long as we can, with laughs and tears, no matter.

Wishing you all a terrific weekend......

Francois

As always, in those situations, it is so difficult to find the right words. It is great that you and your family spend so much time with her. I would think she knows that things are coming to a close and by the sounds of it, she is alright with that.

The important thing is to make the remainder of her life pleasant, lots of visits, lots of loughs and lots of love.

Tell her the whole North American BMWSporttouring community is in her corner and sends her the Best wishes. Bet she didn't know she had so many friends, huh.?

As for you guys, well live goes on, you are doing all the right things and that's all you can do.

All the Best.

Jurgen

AdventurePoser

Francois,

Your mom sounds like a woman with great spirit. It is wonderful that you can spend time with her.

Jennifer and I hold you and your family in our thoughts and prayers!

Steve in So Cal

Francois - thank you for the update on your mom's condition. I wish you and your family strength in these very trying times.

Luis

Les is more

Thanks for the news, Francois. Your mom sounds like someone I would really like. How wonderful that she is able to laugh and joke and worry about her flowers! Your Dad had better watch it!

Firefight911

Many thanks for including us in your family. You are certainly a part of ours!!!

As has been happening since we first heard, we continue to include you in our prayers and thoughts and continue to hope for your peace with the whole situation as it unfolds.

Tell your Mom that Northern California is hugging her and her family for us!

Carpe Diem has never seemed so appropriate...every moment we have with our loved ones is indeed a treasure.

All my prayers to you and your family, Francois.

Matts_12GS

Enjoy her while you can Francois, of course you know that and have been able to share much w/her.

Thanks for the update, Francois. Your Mom sounds like a lady with style. I really admire that. We are keeping you in our thoughts.

Sharon

Francois, sorry to read of this.

Your mother sounds like a woman with a lot of dignity.

Likely the apple did not fall far from the tree.

Jacqueline

I like your Mom!!!

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers...may you all be at peace during this trying time.

warmly, Jacqueline and Richard

Archived