IGNORED

Shipping bikes to Seattle

Patallaire

Patallaire

We are shipping our bikes to Seattle will arrive there on July 3, what is a fun way to get to the ralley?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Gosh Pat, how many miles do you want to ride in a single day? It's about 450 via the interstate, but that's not very fun. I'd probably put you north on I-5/hwy 9 to the North Cascades Highway. The snow should be melted by then. They've been having avalanches due to the late snow and heavy rains. But when it's clear, it's beautiful. Here's one scenario (pull out your map):

I-5 to exit 208, east to Arlington, north on Hwy 9 to Sedro Wooley.

East on 20 to Omak. east/south on 155 to Coulee Dam and then Coulee City & Soap Lake. 28 to Ephrata. Take the 283 spur to I-90 at exit 151. I-90 west for about 12 miles to exit 137 and hwy 243, to south on 240, to 24 and then 241. In Sunnyside you should stop and have lunch here:

85063731_PLjXC-M.jpg

Continue on 241 across 90 into Mabton, and continue to Bickleton and then Roosevelt on the Columbia River. 14 west to Maryhill (only a few places to cross the river - near the John Day Dam!) From Maryhill, there is no bad way to get to the UnRally, except maybe to go down 97. And really 97 is okay too.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with great Oregon roads.

Another option..

South of Seattle take the 410/123/12 around Rainier clockwise to Randle. From Randle head south on 131 to Curly Creek Road then Wind River dumping out at the town of Carson on the Columbia River.

From Carson head East on Hwy.14 and cross over to Hood River Or. for lunch.

From Hood River head East on Hwy. 84 to Biggs. From Biggs string together Wasco, Condon, Fossil, Spray, Kimberly, Dayville and finally John Day.

Patallaire

OK~ So I have 5 days to go 450 miles, what other options are available to do in that area? Is Banff an option?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/

http://www.pashnit.com/

You should have a look at the above websites. The coast is beautiful and you could easily hunker down somewhere along the Pacific. In fact, from Seattle, go across Puget Sound on the Bainbridge Island ferry and follow 101 counter-clockwise around the Olympic Peninsula, stopping at the Hoh Rain Forest and Neah Bay (the NW-most point of the lower-48), before continuing down the coast into the California redwoods. From Arcata, CA go east on 299 to Redding, Fall River Mills to Alturas. Then get 395 all the way into John Day.

Of course, we could also route you into the Okanogan Valley of BC and down through the panhandle of Idaho and Hells Canyon and into John Day that way too.

How are you shipping the bikes back home again?

• 2 weeks later...

Pat - Kitsap has layed out a very fine ride indeed, but my personal favorite would be to continue east from Biggs along the Columbia River to Hepner Junction. At Hepner Jct go south on 100 mph sweepers to Hepner. Just out of town, turn left at the Reservoir turn off and make a run for Ukiah. High Alpine Meadows and Pine Forrests. I have ridden this road many times and have never come across more than 2 cars on it. Good twisties and pavement. From Ukiah, follow 395 south along the river.

Old Rider turned me on to this road and I can't thank him enough. :thumbsup:

If the stars are in alignment, there may actually be 2 Tundra Green sleds parked in John Day this week.

I think we would like to do the Olypic pennisula as well as the Okanogan Valley of BC and down through the panhandle of Idaho and Hells Canyon. Is that possible in the 5 days we have before the ralley?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I think we would like to do the Olypic pennisula as well as the Okanogan Valley of BC and down through the panhandle of Idaho and Hells Canyon. Is that possible in the 5 days we have before the ralley?
Sure, depending on miles-per-day that you're comfortable with. Depart Seattle, loop the Olympic Peninsula clockwise, end up in Port Townsend. Take the Port Townsend-Whidbey Island Ferry, go north on Whidbey (be sure to stop at Deception Pass) to Hwy 20. Take 20 east across the North Cascades to Okanogan and then Omak. Depending on where you want to end up will determine where you should cross the border. Be sure to have your passports with you or DLs and birth certificates.

Hwy 21 is a nicer ride, crossing at Danville, less traffic too. In fact, if you were to ride Omak to Nespelem on 155 then jump over to 21 up through Republic and then to Danville, that's a really nice ride. Republic is a charming little town, great hotels and B&Bs. I give yourself a day to loop the Peninsula (~300 miles), a second day to get to Republic (~280 miles), a day to get into and out of Canada, say ending the third day at Sandpoint, ID. From there it's 450 miles to John Day, via Lewiston, WA and Joseph, OR. You definitely don't want to miss the road between the two.

Does that help?

Archived