IGNORED

Smart Car this!

Effervescent

I'm guessing it weighs a little more than your bike, but if it ran into a Goldwing I'd bet it would bounce right off.

I would have to be in serious disguise to drive that car. Does it come with a fake nose and sunglasses, maybe a hat wouldn't be a bad idea.

BTW....Your bike looks cool.

Whip

Francois_Dumas
I would have to be in serious disguise to drive that car. Does it come with a fake nose and sunglasses, maybe a hat wouldn't be a bad idea.

BTW....Your bike looks cool.

Whip

I drove one a couple years ago.. so did Nina.

Good thing it had a folding roof... my head stuck out and I could still drive it.

It fitted Nina perfectly !!!! I need to find pictures ... !

Calvin  (no socks)

I hear they get great fuel mileage... I wonder when they are going to come out with a V8 SUV and Pick-up truck version? :grin:

You have just about the same cubic feet of luggage capacity as the car.

ShovelStrokeEd

Fuel consumption isn't really their strong point. About the same as a Fit or an Echo. Worse if any freeway driving is involved. Their chief advantage is a much smaller footprint making them easier to park in tight, urban conditions.

They are a little spendy as well.

I'm looking for a plug in electric car at something resembling a reasonable price. 40-50 mile range would be more than adequate. Can't license a golf cart down here or I'd have one already.

Can't license a golf cart down here or I'd have one already.

Move to Cedar Key. They still aren't licensed, but the constable doesn't mind. :grin:

I was in the UK a few years ago, and I had an opportunity to drive one, and LOVED the Smart car. I swore if it ever came to the US I was going to buy one.

But the one I drove looks nothing like the one you've pictured. I don't have any photos, but this one looks remarkably like it:

mmc_smart_roadster_xx.jpg

When I heard Smart was going to start importing cars here, I got excited, thinking my chance to own one might actually arrive. But on further research, found out that they discontinued the model in '05.

I was SO going to love getting a real pocket rocket...

Automobile magazine recently ran a review of the Smart Car as an urban warrior, and they panned it terribly. They said the suspension could not keep up with the road irregularities, and the gas mileage wasn't all that terrific. As someone else noted, they are pricey as well.

Seems like there are better choices out there...a nice bike being one.

Francois_Dumas

They are just nice and expensive 'gadgets' now. But when they were first released (by Mercedes and Greenpeace?) there wasn't any brand on the market seriously looking at ecological issues and fuel saving cars, so at that time they were a novelty and 'good' to have.

Times change.....

Fuel consumption isn't really their strong point. About the same as a Fit or an Echo. Worse if any freeway driving is involved. Their chief advantage is a much smaller footprint making them easier to park in tight, urban conditions.

Right-on, Ed. This might make them "smart" in Paris. But since American cities don't (yet) approach the congestion and parking shortages of European cities, and since a Smart would still have to occupy a full parking stall here, these cars are not really "smart" for the US consumer. People here tend to buy Smarts because they are cute and promise to be trendy.

As far as value-for-the-money goes, these cars have a very low IQ. When Daimler Benz owned the company, they lost money on every Smart they produced, but they made up for it in volume! Really smart.....

A relative in Switzerland has long owned one of these and loves it... just a "fun" car to own. Kinda like owning an RT - there are faster, smoother, larger, smaller, or more reliable or fuel efficient options available but so what it's fun!

Francois_Dumas

My uncle had one of those... FUN !!! But I was too small at the time and couldn't look over his shoulders.....

But when they were first released (by Mercedes and Greenpeace?)
Actually it was Mercedes and the Swatch watch folks. They got in a fight and I believe broke up the deal a few years ago with Mercedes keeping the car & Swatch getting frozen out. Someone is working on a conversion package to take a Smart fortwo and turn it into a plug-in electric (for a nasty amt of money in the 30-40K range IIRC). In the U.S. they're just toys. (Almost every automaker has a cheaper car with better gas mileage.)
motoguy128
Messerschmidt.jpg[/img]

Ja!.....Das Messerschmitt too.........1955....

Phil........Redbrick

Cool... a tail dragger, just like it's cousin the ME109.

We'll see how hte smart does in a few years as automakers catch up and get smaller platforms certifed for the US. Cars like the Mazda 2/Ford Fiesta. I rented a Citreon C2 the last time I was in France. It wasn't too bad, even on the highway going from Paris to Lille. I don't know the exact mileage, but in 50/50 driving I'd guess it got at least 40mpg... with my lead foot.

ShovelStrokeEd

I have always thought the Citroen 2CV to be one of the best cars to come out of France. Next to, of course, an Alpine.

Acceleration isn't a word I would use in conjunction with 2CV but, they do eventually reach something approaching highway speed. Creature comforts? Nope.

Silly fun to drive though as it is nearly impossible to get one to turn turtle and even if you do, it only improves the looks.

Mister Tee

I really don't get it. My 2000 model year Corolla got 40+ mpg, even with my very hard driving. The 2008 Corolla only gets 33, and the Fit only gets in the low 40's despite its anemic size and performance. What gives?

Francois_Dumas
I really don't get it. My 2000 model year Corolla got 40+ mpg, even with my very hard driving. The 2008 Corolla only gets 33, and the Fit only gets in the low 40's despite its anemic size and performance. What gives?

Nowadays they cram these things full with electronics, airco's (ah no, ya'll always had them already), trip computers, satellite navigation systems, Sensurround cinematic passenger entertainment systems, airbags front, side, rear bottom and top and other amenities...... how much do you think that stuff adds to the weight to be motored around !!?? :grin::grin::grin:

bakerzdosen

Along that vein, it's amazing how much old Geo Metro's are going for. Suddenly that 3 cylinder 55mpg engine is in vogue.

CNN linky

Nowadays they cram these things full with electronics, airco's (ah no, ya'll always had them already), trip computers, satellite navigation systems, Sensurround cinematic passenger entertainment systems, airbags front, side, rear bottom and top and other amenities...... how much do you think that stuff adds to the weight to be motored around !!?? :grin::grin::grin:

A really good point. Add in the airbags,crash proofing and pollution controls as well. Wonder what the difference in weight is?

Now for something completely different: Aptera

An electric car coming out next year supposedly. Licensed as a motorcycle. They are taking deposits now. :/

An electric car coming out next year supposedly. Licensed as a motorcycle. They are taking deposits now. :/

Did that thing just come out of George Jetson's briefcase? :Cool:

JerryMather
I like this Smart car.

I want that car. I love the nose wheelie

Funny that you guys are talking about this ........... Today, I just fired up the one I've been working on for the last month, that we squeeze a GSXR 1000 motor into. With just the header on, it sounds just like a full blown race bike.

This isn't your grandma's Smart Car. :grin:

I'm still hoping Venture Vehicles can get the price down to the level they've been promising for this beauty:

FlyTheRoadSplash_8.jpg

The mock-up has been shown on the Today show and earlier this year at the NY Auto show.

Fly The Road

WyreNut

JerryMather
I like this Smart car.

I want that car. I love the nose wheelie

Funny that you guys are talking about this ........... Today, I just fired up the one I've been working on for the last month, that we squeeze a GSXR 1000 motor into. With just the header on, it sounds just like a full blown race bike.

This isn't your grandma's Smart Car. :grin:

UPDATE: Finally put the muffler on it today and on decel ... a one foot flame comes out of it. This thing is soooooo funny and we all believe it will do a wheelie.

Making stuff like this and getting paid to do it is a blast.

JerryMather
Now that's funny.

Remember the fist Honda Civic's back in the early seventies? Well, one showed up and is at our shop right now that was used as a flower pot for years and the owner wants to ebay it off. I've been trying to talk him into throwing a GSXR motor in it like the Smart car , but he's not going for it.

I can just see that little Honda with a new motor showing up at a 4th of July Parade with some Shriner poping out of the top doing wheelies.

Lone_RT_rider

Did that thing just come out of George Jetson's briefcase? :Cool:

I don't care where it came from, did you read the details on that thing? If their claims are correct, that would be a revolution!

From the website....

Diesel or Gasoline? Our first prototype, the Mk-0, was a parallel hybrid Diesel and achieved an average of 230 MPG at a steady state of 55 MPH. This was pure Diesel/mechanical drive with no electric assist.

Wow!!

Shawn

Archived