IGNORED

Inexpensive Garmin Quest Mount (w/Power)

Mike O

Over the past several weeks, I've had several exchanges with folks about GPS's (thanks Stan...) and began a search for the right model for ME. After some hesitation (and with the upcoming Torrey trip) decided to spring for one myself. Here were MY requirements:

Budget of less than $750 total (mounts, software, etc)

Portable (around our cabin for hiking)

Multi vehicle use

color display

fast download

external memory

waterproof (hey, its gonna be on the RT!)

simple for SWMBO to understand

Garmin manufacturer (they're EVERWHERE and lots of good feedback on the board)

I looked at just about ever model Garmin makes (including older models). I checked out GPS-V, 76c, 2610, ique, quest, 276...) After playing around with the ique and quest, I settled on the quest. Did it meet all my requirements? No (it has internal memory that's limited to about 120MB, and not the BEST for hiking), but it came close enough. Complete details on the quest can be found at www.garmin.com

Next came the search for HOW to get it mounted on the bike. It quick search yielded a mount but no power (I understand that Cycle Gadgets is STILL working that angle but DOES have a Ram mount for Quest). I'm sure there may be other options out there as well, but being the DIY kinda person, I thought I try that approach BEFORE I shelled out another $85+ for a RAM mount (I personally just don't care for that system, but I know others that swear by it). So I set off to come up with my own mount.

Since one of my requirements was to use it in multiple vehicles, I couldn't destroy the existing mount that came with the unit. Pictured below is the mount that comes with the Quest:

gps7.jpg

Its actually a very clever design that provides an articulated mechanical mount that really is very flexible, provides 5v power (yes, 5v not 12v), through a standard US accessory outlet with a speaker built in. Works quite well in the car.

Power? If I could get this cable plugged in somewhere, I would not have to damage the power cord. So, I wired myself in a 12V outlet and placed it in the glove compartment (folks that haven't removed the radio chassis?....DO IT!) Pictured below is the outlet:

gps6.jpg

Now, to the mount. I wanted something that put the GPS on the dash (I played around with the GSP in my tank bag map sleeve – it worked but I found myself taking my eyes off the road...not safe), so set about examining how I might craft a mount. Two screws in the middle under the windshield seemed like candidates. I just needed some sheet metal. I ended up using the following that I purchased from a local hardware store for about $5. Its a 12in x 8in T-bracket used to join lumber – very common (have seen this in two other hardware stores as well)

gps1.jpg

I needed to cut this down (sabre saw to the rescure) and make a few bends (my bench vise and a hammer did the job). Here's what the bracket looks like:

gps2.jpg

Next, how to mount the Quest mount to the bracket. This turned out to be the easiest part; two small holes in the center of the Quest mount provides a secure way to attach it.

gps3.jpg

Once attached to my metal brace, I simply routted the power cord underneath the plastic housing above the speedo and tach and down to the glove box(pic below is BEFORE it was routted) ...Now I can't hear the lovely lady telling me I'm off course and 'recalculating' but oh, well. Here it is the mount attached to the new bracket:

gps4.jpg

And finally, here is the Quest sitting in its cradle/mount attached to the new bracket (now painted black). Easily viewable, powered off exteranl power:

gps5.jpg

The beauty of this setup is I can remove the GPS, remove or re-attach the Quest mount using a couple of screws, and preserved ALL the original Garmin hardware (merely drilling 2 unobtrusive and unnoticable holes).

And equally important....all for less than $10.

I'll be using the GPS for Torrey, so of anyone want's a close-up look or maybe give me some additional improvement advice, look me up.

Regards,

Mike O

Mike- really like your bracket - I may steal the idea for my radar detector.

As a suggestion, You could get a RAM Quest cradle for $12 to replace the car cradle.

It is more secure as it has a snap holder thing on top and you wouldn't have to unscrew

it to use the car cradle. Course you would have to fiddle with that little Torx screw that holds the cable on. If it ain't one thing , It's another! crazy.gif

PaBMWRider

I have to agree with TampaJim. I would definately spend the money for the RAM cradle. The car cradle in my opinion is not secure enough to hold the GPS on the bike. Hitting a bump and watching your new $500 GPS bounce down the road behind you would not be fun.

Mike- really like your bracket - I may steal the idea for my radar detector.

As a suggestion, You could get a RAM Quest cradle for $12 to replace the car cradle.

It is more secure as it has a snap holder thing on top and you wouldn't have to unscrew

it to use the car cradle. Course you would have to fiddle with that little Torx screw that holds the cable on. If it ain't one thing , It's another! crazy.gif

Actually, what's not shown above is a velcro strap that secures the GPS within the cradle. Unfortunately, the RAM mount has NO power - a real drawback; its a secure mount, that's it. As for your suggestion, I did read about this, but didn't want to fiddle with the Torx screw every time I transfered it between the bike and car (that Torx screw is very small and I suspect not up to the rigors of frequent changes.)

While I have this in place with 2 #10 bolts today, I plan on replacing those after this trip with thumb screws and lock washers.

Thanks for the input.

Mike O

It was kinda fun...I pounded a few more pieces of metal than whats in the pictures wink.gif

Regards,

Mike O

johnwood54

Mike, I like your budget bracket--looks like a great job.

I recentley received a Quest as a gift and had the same situation of mounting on my RT. I did order the 24" cable to plug in on side of bike and routed under seat to rear of Marsee tank bag and used original speaker/plug combo. I have the radio in glove box on my bike. You can hear the Turn by Turn audio quite well and I really like that feature. Only down side is I did order the RAM mount and cradle and did change over to the sturdier cradle and use it on other ball ram mounts I have in my truck and on my boat so not having to deal with changing out that tiny T-5 Torx screw anymore. Thanks for sharing a good story.

I considered the same sort of homemade bracket. I even went so far as to fabricate one from 0.09" aluminum stock. I was even going to use the same dash mount points.

The problem I ran in to was, as I started to bend the stock, small cracks developed at the bend. Since this was for a Garmin 2610, which weighs in at almost 1 pound, I decided I did not want to chance metal fatigue.

I don't have the ability to work with stainless steel, so I opted to buy a Gadget Guy (www.gadgetguy.net) mount (Bracket Kit IV and Base Plate II). It looks like you went with a galvanized material, which is probably easier to work with, but for me it probably would have been too springy.

Since the Quest is so much lighter than the 2610, you might have better luck or not be concerned with metal fatigue, but I just wanted to chime in with my (similar) attempt at a low cost solution.

Also, with the 2610, there is quite a bit of vibration up there. Again, this is made worse by the mass of the 2610. The GG mount lessens this some with an internal (to the dash) T-bracket that is installed on the back side of the mount and attached to windscreen motor mount point. Even with the bracket the 2610 bounces quite a bit on even moderately bumpy roads. Had my bracket worked, I think the vibration would have been unacceptable.

If the vibration starts to get to me, I still may go with the Touratech mount that attaches to the upper fork bridge (part number 09-040-0650-0). It's about $40 and I would still use the mounting plate (Base Plate II) that came with Bracket Kit IV that I bought. So if I try this, it will "only" cost me another 40…

Ps. Eye movement from road to GPS was the reason I initially chose this location too. I still agree, but with voice guidance it's not as critical as I thought, hence I'm considering the fork bridge location.

• 5 months later...
I considered the same sort of homemade bracket. I even went so far as to fabricate one from 0.09" aluminum stock. I was even going to use the same dash mount points.

Just a note: aluminum is soft but it does NOT bend well in sharp corners, it would rather fracture.

A little late I know, but just to let people know that it is not your fault, it is a characteristic of the material.

I to have the Quest and ordered the Garmin bike mount for it. It allows for mounting the RAM ball in the back, is secure and mounts just fine with the Ram system. I have the bike end as the ball strapped to the right handlebar.

The Garmin power cord is bare wires with a heaphone output for audible directions. I have not wired up the power yet. Do you think I could wire a BMW power plug to the bare wires and plug it into the power outlet on the bike? I don't think I what to hard wire it as I would like the mount to be easly removable. Anyone try this yet?

smile.gif

I to have the Quest and ordered the Garmin bike mount for it. It allows for mounting the RAM ball in the back, is secure and mounts just fine with the Ram system. I have the bike end as the ball strapped to the right handlebar.

The Garmin power cord is bare wires with a heaphone output for audible directions. I have not wired up the power yet. Do you think I could wire a BMW power plug to the bare wires and plug it into the power outlet on the bike? I don't think I what to hard wire it as I would like the mount to be easly removable. Anyone try this yet?

smile.gif

As I noted above, the power to the Quest is +5v (not +12v). Unless Garmin has supplied the setup you are attempting to use with a pre-wired in down to +5v I would be very careful.

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. I have now had my Quest in use on my bike with the above home made bracket and power for 6,000 miles. I did add a small piece of velcro underneath the antenna (and on top of the dash) but mostly because at anything over 65mph, the antenna would flip up. Otherwise still sturdy and never has given me a lick of problems (including surviving a low-side last August). I wouldn't hesitate recommending this set up to anyone.

MikeO,

I got brave over the weekend and tried plugging the Garmin bike mount for the Quest into the power outlet on the bike. I attached a BMW plug to the Garmin bare wires and it worked fine. It powers the Quest while the bike ignition is on and I can hear the audible directions through headphones. However, the power to the outlet shuts down about 1 minute after the ignition is turned off and I didn;t like having the wire runing across the tank to the outlet.

I then got even braver and ran the Garmin wires directly to the battery. I ran them down by the fork and under the tank on the right side under the faring. Now the Quest is powered full time and works just fine. I tried it on a 40 mile ride including highway speeds with earbuds and got usable audible directions so now I'm pretty happy. I'll post pictures later when I have more time and figure out how to do it.

One more question though. The earbuds I used were part of a cheep portable walkman style stereo I had. Now I'm looking for a solution that won't bother my ears on long trips and will provide enough noise reduction for long highway speed rides. I have been using foam earplugs which have worked pretty well. I tried some plastic one's with little "handles" that stick out but they hurt my ears after about an hour. I think it was the "handle' hitting the inside of my helmet. Are there earbud speakers that simulate foam earplugs for noise reduction that don't stick out of the ear canal enough to cause undu pressure when worn inside a helmet? Also, what about these thin helmet speakers that attach inside the helmet with velcro that I see on the Aerostich, Cyclegadgets and Whitehorse press websites. Anyone got experience with them?

Thanks,

Roy,

Make sure that power source has a fues in it.

As for ear-bud-style audio, I never listen to the 'babe' consantly telling me "Recalculating"...so I don't have the audio version of the Quest hooked up (visuals proved fine to me).

But for your question, you have lots of options. It depends on what you want to spend. In-ear, most rave about 'Arizona Al's setup (search the site here for more info), Entymotics (sp?), and Autocom (the setup I have at the moment).

As I stated, do a search on this site...lots of opinions, and prices going from $15...to well into the hundreds. One thing for sure, however, you get what you pay for.

Regards,

Mike O

Thanks Mike. The Quest wiring does have a fuse in the line so it's protected.

I ordered the thin helmet speakers from Whitehorse Press. I'll post the results after I try them out.

Here are some photos of my Quest2 installation as promised. It's hard wired to the battery running the wiring down the fork area a bit and under the tank. That's a RAM mount ball strapped to the right handlebar near the fork area and the Quest is positioned just above the brake resevoir on the right handlebar. It does not obstruct my view of the mirror or the tach. I think it's going to work out fine there.

589557-Quest2.jpg.e8c941e970544542e2ccaa58d3b6d457.jpg

Archived