IGNORED

Bearings rear wheel RT1150RT

Gerrit

Someone experience with replacing the big bearing of the rear wheel? I made a small trip and when I came back I saw some oil on the road. Back home I saw the ?oil-ring? (how do you call that in english) behind the rear wheel was damaged and when I pulled the ring out I saw some broken bearing parts on the wrong place. In my "bible" there's no description for repairing this part. Who can help? I removed allready the housing of both bearings by unscrewing 8 bolts.

Thanks, Gerrit

I just replaced the wheel bearing on my R1150R, and I believe that it is the same as for an RT:

The oilhead FD wheel bearing is the following:

Description: GROOVED BALL BEARING

Size: 85X120X18

BMW Part No.: 33121242210

Bearing type: 61917/C3

Manufacturer: FAG Germany

Cost: about $100

The replacement is pretty easy. After you drain the oil:

1) Remove the wheel

2) Remove the FD cover screws.

3) Tap the FD cover open, and it will fall off with the bearing and the bevel gear.

4) Separate the cover from the gear by tapping. Only friction from the oil seal is keeping the assembly together.

5) Extract old bearing (more on this later)

6) Put gear in refrigerator and new bearing in oven

7) Quickly drop new bearing on gear.

8) Put everything back together, (including some oil!).

The only hard part for me was the reomoval of the old bearing because there was not enough room for a normal bearing puller. I was able to remove it with two thick chisels and a mallet. A smaller puler might fit because ethere is about 3-4mm between the bearing and the back of the bevel gear.

My gears, seals and other bearings were perfect, so I did not bother replacing seals. I don't expct the seal replacement to be difficult, but I suggest that you measure the depth of any seal before you remove it. Many seals should be put with a special tool that sets it at the correct depth.

The manual gives complex instructions on how to shim the bearing. However, I believe that bearings are so accurate that you can re-use the old shims and not worry about the measurements. Note that I fould 2 shims on mine. Don't lose any, including the one on the wheel hub, if you have one.

Will you let us know how it works out? I am glad that you were not left stranded.

Archived