IGNORED

Traveling the Back Roads from CA to John Day

flyingreg

I will be traveling the back roads from CA to John Day going to the UN. If there is any of you that would like to join me for part or all of my ride you are welcome. I will be taking a very indirect route to the UN, covering about 2000 miles in five days. I am leaving Bakersfield on July 3rd and arriving in John Day early on the 8th, at least that is my plan.

The first riding day will cover the major Sierra passes, ending the day at the junction of 49 & 88, or there abouts.

The second day will cover riding across the north western side of the state, going through Stonyford, Covelo, Mad River, Weaverville, etc., ending at Etna.

The third day will take the route less traveled around Copco Lake, Crater Lake, the east side of the Three Sisters, ending the day at Sisters, OR.

The fourth and fifth days are still in the planning stages. There is a chance I may shorten the first three riding days due to necessity, they may be too aggressive in the miles ridden part when considering the type of roads being ridden. So, I may make adjustments in the coming weeks. Also, there is about 100-200 miles of dirt road thrown in for good measure. And camping will be about every other night while on this "road" trip.

If anyone is interested in a little adventure, I have Garmin GPS routes that can be emailed and viewed using Mapsource and Google Earth, pretty cool tool for pre-riding a route.

Anywho, that's my general plan right now. Any interest out there, one day, any day, lemme know.

BTW, any of you that are familiar with the areas I am traveling and have route tips, advice, or road advice to take or avoid, please chime in. The area between Crater Lake and Sisters is currently planned on mostly FS dirt roads. I am not familiar with this area and advice is welcome.

Ryan, Chris K and I are doing something similar.

We leave San Fran airport on Friday July 4 around 1pm.

July 4 we head up 1 to Willits, Ca On Friday night we head over to Fort Bragg to watch fireworks

July 5 we wonder up to McKinleyville, Ca

July 6 we see Redwood Forest and wonder up toward Crater Lake

July 7 we arrive in John Day around 3pm

please e-mail me your file, I believe we will be following similar routes, just on different days. We could use some information from a more knowledgeable local rider.

My routes will not be taking me anywhere near those parts of the coast, but I'll be happy to share my route files with you. Email sent.

Paul Mihalka

My tentative travel plan: June 28 from work, CHARLESTON WV - JEFFERSON CITY MO via I64 and backroads from St. Louis - GARDEN CITY KS via rt. 50 and other two-lanes after Kansas City - GUNNISON CO may be via Alamosa/South Fork/Creede - SALINA UT may be via Grand Mesa/Grand Junction - RENO NV via rt. 50 - EUREKA CA Redwoods - OAKRIDGE OR via Crater Lake - PACKWOOD WA two nights visit Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens - JOHN DAY! on Tuesday 7/8!

City names in capitals are overnight stops. Any suggestions VERY welcome!

Firefight911
My tentative travel plan: June 28 from work, CHARLESTON WV - JEFFERSON CITY MO via I64 and backroads from St. Louis - GARDEN CITY KS via rt. 50 and other two-lanes after Kansas City - GUNNISON CO may be via Alamosa/South Fork/Creede - SALINA UT may be via Grand Mesa/Grand Junction - RENO NV via rt. 50 - EUREKA CA Redwoods - OAKRIDGE OR via Crater Lake - PACKWOOD WA two nights visit Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens - JOHN DAY! on Tuesday 7/8!

Paul, Reno is just over an hour from our house in Diamond Springs, CA. Jamie and I would be very honored to have you spend the night at our place. Dinner on us and a nice comfortable and FREE bed to rest yourself in!

Paul,

If you choose to not take Phil up on his kind offer, I'll make the same offer. (I too would be honored!)

I'm located 11 miles south of the US50 East and US395 intersection in Carson City (and only 7 miles south of the US50 West and US395 intersection).

Paul Mihalka

You guys are wonderful - and I am honored to have all of you as friends.

PMs will follow.

If your plans aren't in cement for Northern California, Oregon and Washington, here are a few thoughts. Take 36 from Red Bluff to Ferndale (near Eureka), then 96 inland toward Crater Lake. Maybe you are already planning on these. I have a website that shows some other roads you will be near. Look here http://rodjules.com/pacific_northwest/overall_map.php and pick roads 7 & 8. 7 is Oak Ridge Canyon, you are staying right near there, and 8 is a great route to Sisters.

Have fun,

Rod

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I will be traveling the back roads from CA to John Day going to the UN. If there is any of you that would like to join me for part or all of my ride you are welcome. I will be taking a very indirect route to the UN, covering about 2000 miles in five days. I am leaving Bakersfield on July 3rd and arriving in John Day early on the 8th, at least that is my plan.

The first riding day will cover the major Sierra passes, ending the day at the junction of 49 & 88, or there abouts.

The second day will cover riding across the north western side of the state, going through Stonyford, Covelo, Mad River, Weaverville, etc., ending at Etna.

The third day will take the route less traveled around Copco Lake, Crater Lake, the east side of the Three Sisters, ending the day at Sisters, OR.

The fourth and fifth days are still in the planning stages. There is a chance I may shorten the first three riding days due to necessity, they may be too aggressive in the miles ridden part when considering the type of roads being ridden. So, I may make adjustments in the coming weeks. Also, there is about 100-200 miles of dirt road thrown in for good measure. And camping will be about every other night while on this "road" trip.

If anyone is interested in a little adventure, I have Garmin GPS routes that can be emailed and viewed using Mapsource and Google Earth, pretty cool tool for pre-riding a route.

Anywho, that's my general plan right now. Any interest out there, one day, any day, lemme know.

BTW, any of you that are familiar with the areas I am traveling and have route tips, advice, or road advice to take or avoid, please chime in. The area between Crater Lake and Sisters is currently planned on mostly FS dirt roads. I am not familiar with this area and advice is welcome.

I am sorry to say that right now I cannot recall what model bike you ride. Must be a GS though....

I am familiar with a lot of those areas. I've ridden some sort of version of them all. Consider this to help you figure out your times- AT BEST, riding hard on a 650 or 640cc D/S bike, I have never been able to raise my off-road over-all average to more than about 17 or 18 MPH.

I'll see about putting together a huge track file for you. There's some good stuff to the north of Covelo that's not to be missed, and you'll be paralleling the OBDT in Oregon. You could potentially hit the good stuff there and still make some time. (you can't get it all, it takes 3 days from CA to Sisters.)

Also, for planning tips, you may already know, the Forest Service has a pretty common road number sysytem. In Mendocino NF the "M" roads are big and well maintained. The 3 digit roads not as much and the 4 digit roads maybe not at all. They seem to stick to something close to this in most of the other NF's I ridden in.

Boney,

Thanks for your input, it is welcomed. I hope you get a chance to put that file together, I can benefit from your knowledge of these roads immensely. I wasn't familiar with the NF road numbering system, so thanks for that too! And, what is the OBDT in Oregon?

As for time averaging, what I have considered is that since I will more or less always be near enough to paved roads in some respect, I figured if I got far behind any schedule, I could bail and either move ahead to another area I wanted to explore, or just bail for John Day, should I get really behind. Since I will know where I need to be from day to day, I can adjust as needed.

I got the GS for this purpose and I will, for the most part, be cutting teeth, not having ridden dirt for too many years. This also explains my need to stick to established dirt roads.

For those of you heading up to Crater Lake, I was there a couple weeks ago over Memorial Day weekend and the loop around the lake was still covered in snow. They had the road cleared up to the gift shop and lodge so you can still ride up to see the lake. When it started hailing on us we decided it was time to head back down.

John B.

'99 R1100RT

Archived