IGNORED

John Day Roads

Bruce H

Steve,

I am posting this here but will send it to you along with an outlined map. What I want to know is this what you wanted. My guess is there isn't going to be time to write a literary masterpiece outlining all the choices.

Commements please?...

Cowboy Roads…

John Day is located in the heart of some of the nicest roads Oregon has to offer. I am sort of a “snob” when it comes to where I ride. There are enough nice ones I don’t travel on the marginal ones; however someone else might think they are fine. There are so many choices it is hard to describe all of them. Some imagination will be required. Every turn and intersection leads to new possibilities.

The ones I lined (enclosed map)are my favorites. Some lines do not connect so you would have to use whatever route to get back to your destination.

Gas is usually not a problem in this part of Oregon however some of the stores close up in the early evening; others seem to go in and out of business or might run out of gas. I keep my tank on the up side of half unless I know for sure where I am going will be open and have gas. Oregon does not have self service so once the stations close there is no gas.

US 26 between Dayville and Prairie City is a road I avoid if possible. The part between Prineville and Mitchell is stunning if you do it early in the morning or late in the evening when there is no traffic. There can be motor home traffic, log trucks, cowboys and LEO’s. This highway is a major east west route thru the heart of Oregon.

When riding thru each of the towns pay attention to the posted speed, they might stop for just five over. For those heavy in the fuel injectors there is a good chance the corners have rock in them. When you pass a farm house, lighten up a bit, a little courtesy goes a long way. If there is someone outside “wave” these country folks are sensitive to high speed motorcycles, especially “crotch rockets” going fast or not. They won’t hesitate to phone and the Sheriff has prime spots already picked out, you wouldn’t see him until too late and your radar detector is mostly useless in these hills.

Highway 97 is the major north south route; I also avoid this road if possible. Truck traffic can be heavy at times. Remember I live in rural Oregon so my opinion of “heavy” might be different than someone coming from the city. There are many days I will go one or two hours without seeing another car.

That said my first pick for a day ride from John Day would be east on 26 thru Prairie City to Austin where you would turn left onto the Susanville road. It would intersect 395 near the town of Ritter.

If you have more time instead of turning at Austin continue east on Highway 7 to Sumpter. From here you might go to Granite thru the woods (all paved) or east thru Baker City to Hells Canyon.

Highway 395 north from Mt. Vernon is also a very nice ride. This highway climbs over the mountains and leaves trees behind near the top at 4700 feet in elevation. You then drop down to Long Creek; here there is a decision to make.

Highway 402 turns left to Monument, drops down to the John Day River at Kimberly. Between here and Highway 26 is a nice piece of road and the John Day Fossil Bed National Monument.

A turn right at Kimberly or west, will wind along the river on Highway 19 to Spray. Between Spray and Service Creek is one of my favorite places along the river to ride. If it is hot there are many places for a swim.

At Service Creek you might turn left on 207 to Mitchell or continue on to Fossil. A really nice choice at Fossil would be to turn left onto 218 and ride at least as far as Clarno or Antelope, here turn around and ride back. If you continue up the hill to Shaniko there is a restaurant in the old hotel as well as other shops and an ice cream store. This is the junction with highway 97, you decide how you are going to get back.

From Fossil it is just 20 miles north to Condon and a turn East on 206. You might drop back down at the Riggs, the junction of 206 and 207. Continuing south the highway intersects with highway 19 near the town of Spray. Or 206 continue east to the junction of 395 at Nye and turn south back to John Day.

If your decision at Long Creek was to continue north on 395 you are in for a treat as the highway rises up then drops again to Ritter. Eventually it snake along the river then rises into the town of Ukiah. Here you might turn left on a paved Forest Service road thru the woods to Heppner or right to Starkey. Both routes are very nice if you like trees. The other choice would be to continue north to the junction of 395 and 74 at Nye. Here a turn left or West on 74 to would bring you to Heppner. Your cruise would be rolling hills, valleys and along the ridge lines.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Thanks Bruce. I think this will really gel once I see a map. Good advice about waving and so forth. I think that I will print that up and give it to the Unralliers.

Archived