IGNORED

mp3 editor 'ware?

bmwscoot

Whatcha' using for editing mp3's?

Mostly, I'd just like to split tracks, dictate start/stops, fade in/out, etc.

Nothing fancy.

I can find a place in iTunes to start/stop tunes anywhere in the song.

But mp3's on another player (ZEN), I am at a loss to find an option to do that.

I can find a place in iTunes to start/stop tunes anywhere in the song.

But mp3's on another player (ZEN), I am at a loss to find an option to do that.

Not sure what you mean exactly, I'm not aware of any stop/start/locate function that is available in iTunes that is not available on the Zen. Are you referring to Bookmarks, or..?

Anyway a good free utility for editing MP3 files (does not need to re-encode so no quality loss) is MP3 DirectCut. For detailed splitting/joining work a good (but not free) program is MP3 Splitter/Joiner.

Not sure what you mean exactly, I'm not aware of any stop/start/locate function that is available in iTunes that is not available on the Zen. Are you referring to Bookmarks, or..?

Anyway a good free utility for editing MP3 files (does not need to re-encode so no quality loss) is MP3 DirectCut.

Thanks, I'll try that.

In particular I was referring to the ability in iTunes to set a start time for a song...that is start the song at say the 30 sec. mark, etc., instead of the beginning. I have a few tunes that I do not like the intro., so I just have iTunes set a different start time for a song.

Ah, I see. FWIW in the Zen you can use the 'Bookmarks' function... just set a bookmark to wherever in the track you want to start and select that bookmark to play the file. Or if you know that you will always want to start at a specific point you can just edit the MP3 file with one of the recommended utilities.

The problem in using Audacity and other sound editors with MP3 files is that these programs will import and convert the file to PCM for editing, then re-encode the file when saving back to MP3. This is very undesirable because it adds an additional decode/recode to each editing session. If you want to edit MP3 files you should use a utility that works on the MP3 file directly.

questrider
The problem in using Audacity and other sound editors with MP3 files is that these programs will import and convert the file to PCM for editing, then re-encode the file when saving back to MP3. This is very undesirable because it adds an additional decode/recode to each editing session. If you want to edit MP3 files you should use a utility that works on the MP3 file directly.

Yes, I realize this and never "edit" MP3 files. I misunderstood the original poster then in that they simply want to "mark" MP3 files instead of editing from source PCM files and then encoding to MP3, which is what I do.

I use the above applications mainly after mixing my original multitrack recordings in 24b/96k down to 16/44 and then 256k MP3s. Of course, I much prefer listening to the original 24/96 recordings but one must compromise when going mobile. My next project is mixing the 24/96 multitracks into DTS 24/96 6.1 surround. :grin: That'll be fun! And slow and deliberate!

Sorry for the hijack. I'm good at that... :(

Archived