IGNORED

SLC to John Day - The Fun Way

Twisties

This was first posted in Pied Piper North, but that is developing a different way. Here is what we're thinking, anyone want to ride along?

Map of Route: SLC to John Day

You can zoom in and out on the map.

Anyone riding with us spend the night of July 3 (or earlier if you want to spend a few days) here at our place in SLC.

July 4 to Jackson, Night of July 4 in Jackson for the great fireworks display on Storm King.

July 5 in the parks. Stops at Jenny Lake, West Thumb, Mammoth and Old Faithful, at least. Night of July 5 in West Yellowstone.

July 6 to Orofino, ID via Lolo

July 7 to John Day via Hells Canyon NRA

This should be a truly fantastic ride. We're thinking hotels for us, but there is certainly camping in all these locales for those that prefer it.

We want to make hotel reservations by June 1, so let us know if you are in.

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Twisties,

Jean and I are kinda sorta useing your plan, but not sure of our arrival dates due to the distance and heat. Might have to run some at night, or take lots of rest stops.

We are not making any reservations for Jacksonhole, or Yellowstone route till we get like a day out, hope this does not put us in a bind for rooms in the high impact tourist areas like Yellowstone.

Hopz and Mrs Hopz are doing something somewhat similar... well you know- not really similar but we end up in the same places.

Leave SLC on 7th, slab to Boise. Stay in nice place downtown, eat in a real restaurant.. one that serves real mixed drinks- not that bummed out utah stuff....make it a double will ya Joe...

Arise at leisure and proceed to John Day. Arrive early afternoon.

At some point depart John Day for Hells Canyon, and overnight in some small town motel; Idaho 12 and Lolo Pass; Salmon, Idaho, Ketchum/Sun Valley; Home to SLC.

Interested parties, hangers-on, tourists, naer-do-wells all invited.

Twisties,

Jean and I are kinda sorta useing your plan, but not sure of our arrival dates due to the distance and heat. Might have to run some at night, or take lots of rest stops.

We are not making any reservations for Jacksonhole, or Yellowstone route till we get like a day out, hope this does not put us in a bind for rooms in the high impact tourist areas like Yellowstone.

I know the feeling. I hate committing when I'm on the road too. Who needs the pressure.

Unfortunately, rooms in Jackson and W.Yellowstone are very tight. We had to call five or six places in each location, and that was two weeks ago. Maybe you should think about visiting the parks on your way home? A couple of years ago I got a last minute (two days before the 4th) room in Jackson... but it was over at the Teton Village, was a dump (we stepped through the floor), and it took me all day to find it. Was a major pain.

Anyway, so far no other takers on our spare room here on 3rd, so it's yours if you make it. I'll pm you my phone number, address and stuff. We'll take it as it comes.

Jan

Bob,

When are you and Suz leaving JD and how many days on the road back? We have been toying with the coast and NCal on the way home, but we really don't have time for that - be some very long days. What's that route 95 like on the east side of Hells Canyon?

Jan

Have never been on any of the roads beyond Twin Falls, Idaho. FUGU advises the route is good.

Take a close look at the section on my route from the south of Hells Canyon up to 12. We plan to stop in Grangeville, having discarded the route through Lewiston. No reason, I just have a feeling Grangeville is a neat little town. Mike also suggests the road to/from Hells Canyon is really good. Google says there is a good Mexican restaurant there.

Our return route takes us to Ketchum where we will celebrate the life of a great friend who passed away. We had planned a trip to there when he took ill and had to cancel.

As for departure from JD... time will tell. I cannot commit at this time.

Will see you in JD of course... We are at the America's Best Inn.

Okay, got a room in Jackson Hole night of 4th, and next 2 days in Yellowstone. Now just to make the miles, ha.

Jean and I are looking forward to meeting up with you and others (Bullett) headed to John Day. Let the Journey begin!

For anyone coming our way from the East, I will leave either early morning 2nd or night before. I-20, US69, US380, US287, I-40 ABQ, US550, HWY 371, Hwy 491, US191, SLC by 3rd. Jacksonhole by 4th.

Looking forward to meeting you guys too!

Because of my job we are pretty much stuck to July 2nd thru the 13th for our trip. We might be able to sneak out the evening of the 1st and stay with family in Anna Texas to cut down on miles traveled in the next couple of days we will have to play it by ear! :grin:

Hey, JustJean and dhanson... I'm Hopz, buddy and SLC resident (well sort of) with Twisties and Bullet.

Moved out here from Houston, so I know your home territory. Curious as to your route from home? How you guys planning to come out?

Looking forward to meeting you in JD.

Bob

Hello Hopz,

Starting to do some serius planning now, may get to leave evening 1st, run to Mckinney, TX and spend night with Sister-inlaw. Then on 2nd run 380, 287, I-40, 550, 666, 191 SLC. Like 1200 miles in two days.

Yep, I figured there would be 287 in there somewhere.

By the way 666 is now 491 so don't let that throw you off. 191 is also commonly called 6, watch for that. That is a good route- we take it once or twice a year when we drive to Houston.

Where you plan to cut over from 550 to 491? Bloomington to Farmington to Shiprock is ok, but can be slow in traffic. Intensely Native American but if you are in the mood for Mutton Stew- this is the place to get it. On the other hand, Bloomington to Durango can be endless with traffic too, but the road over to Cortez from Durango is fun. You are going to Cortez no matter what. The road from Shiprock is ok, relatively short and you can cover some ground.

One more tip... if you can avoid Albuquerque at rush hour you will be happy you did. If you have any questions about the route feel free to ask. Like I said- my car just goes there automatically...

Maybe we'll see you in SLC?

(Ever heard of Stovall Marine in Shreveport, or Jerry Stovall... a cousin. My Granddaddy had some sisters there.)

Thanks for the heads up on the numbers. I have been elk hunting out of Cuba, NM and up a little ways on 550, never been past there in the last 30 years. Looking at the durango to cortez alternate, if you gotta go someplace might as well take the funiest road.

Don't remember Stovall Marine, but reckon I should. Been here all my life, funny what you miss when you live there.

Made a 20 hour drive with trailer and llamas, came through abq at midnight, one lane open due to construction and 2 mile detour, I about expired on that detour.

We were moving from Houston to SLC and I was pulling my Haulmark Low Hauler loaded with art and house plants. We made Albuquerque at about 7:30 in the morning in total stop and go traffic on the elevated ramp where 40 and 25 meet. Some messed up dude in a cheezy car pulled between us and a big rig that was still driving fast into the traffic jam.

If you want a real thrill try looking in your mirror at a 20 ton truck with locked brakes sliding along the concrete barrier wall coming your way. The guy in the car was so close I could not see him in the mirrors. the truck slammed him into the trailer.

I was a little irritated... and used adult language. The dude had a front license plate that said "Elvis" which was implanted in my ramp door. It left Elvis imprinted backward in the door.

Fortunately they all had insurance and after a few weeks and the simple application of money all was made right again.

I still hate Albuquerque.

edit to add... I like Cuba too. They have a good Mexican Restaurant, El Bruno... worth the stop if you have the time. As the sign said once... they do not cater to persons in a hurry.

Took a break from 6 days in the woods hiking for elk with longbow, and came into Cuba to spend the night, wash clothes, recharge my body.

Ate at that restuarant, waitress goes, want somemore hot sauce, I barely could talk and said noooooo. They sold elk droppings in ziplock baggies at the checkout, ha. I asked if they needed sme more, I could bring all they want from the wilderness, ha.

It is always an eye opener to meet and talk to the locals, they report waking up to Elk bugling in the backyard. One dude ran a feed store (I replenished my alfalfa for the llamas), he used to guide elk hunts. He said I got tired of taking guys in that knew nothing about elk hunting and watching them spook every animal for miles over the next mountain.

Elk?... Twisties can tell you I'm not joking... we have a view out our back side looking out to a hilly meadow. We have a herd of Elk out there this time of year. We watched 5 being... foaled?-- this season. they are acting like adolescents now, playing, and play fighting. They are already about the size of the deers (momma deer had her fawn last week it is about the size of our dog- a lab)

Its like a nature show out there. When are you guys going to be in SLC? and for how long? The Coyotes were howling this morning.

Elk?... Twisties can tell you I'm not joking... we have a view out our back side looking out to a hilly meadow. We have a herd of Elk out there this time of year. We watched 5 being... foaled?-- this season. they are acting like adolescents now, playing, and play fighting. They are already about the size of the deers (momma deer had her fawn last week it is about the size of our dog- a lab)

Its like a nature show out there. When are you guys going to be in SLC? and for how long? The Coyotes were howling this morning.

I think you left out moose.

I believe the Hansons are just in for the night of the 3rd, and that's if they make all those miles. They are very focussed on finding some time in the parks, you know, the ones you won't go to. :D

Jan

I think you left out moose.

I believe the Hansons are just in for the night of the 3rd, and that's if they make all those miles. They are very focussed on finding some time in the parks, you know, the ones you won't go to. :D

Jan

Yep, trying to make 1200-1300 miles in two days without qualifying for the ironbutt, then slow down to tourist speed for Jellystone. I have been, in the 70s but Jean has not.

Geeze, Elk and Moose, made my first elk hunt in CO 2001, messed up my whitetail hunting back home, I couldn't sit still in a treestand after walking/hiking all over the mountains chasing elk. Love the hunt, wonderful in the wilderness!

I thought I posted this before, but I must have forgotten to hit submit...

That's a tough ride even in a car. You are going to have to be really careful about fatigue and especially dehydration. Where you live the humidity will keep you going- we have about 15 percent here. By the time you get to Amarillo and beyond you are going to need a lot of water. I'm talking about a lot...

When you get to Twisties house and rest a bit you are welcome to come up here, but I'm guessing you will be ready for a sit by then.

Yall have a good ride and if I don't see you in SLC I'll catch up with you in JD. You can tell me all about the parks... Let me guess; July 4th weekend, you'll probably be in single file, 15 mph behind grandpa in his Winnebago... from Jackson, through the Tetons, Jellystone to West Jelly... enjoy.

If you have any questions about the route please ask. I've probably done it 20 times.

Archived