IGNORED

Bug Experts Unite.... What is this??

SC_SVRider

SC_SVRider

After getting home from school last night I happened to look at the window in the kitchen and noticed this not-so-little bugger (look at the camera in the window compared to the bug) peeking in the window at Shawn and myself. It seems to have some really distinct markings (almost butterfly-ish) on it, but we couldn't place it. Does anyone know what it is? A moth??

299007861_XiEVw-M.jpg

299007666_yKJxV-M.jpg

Joe Frickin' Friday

Mothra?

200px-MOSURA.jpg

Just kiddin.

Looks like a Luna moth. The forewings on yours look a little droopy, but there seems to be a little bit of variance, so I suppose that's not unreasonable:

770px-Actias_luna_male_sjh.JPG

676px-Female_Luna_moth.jpg

Those pics are shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia, but I did see one of these flittering around the light on my front porch a few years ago. The huge shadow caught my eye, and I thought maybe it was a bat or bird chasing bugs around the light, and then I saw Mothra out there.

SC_SVRider

As with all Saturniidae, the adults do not eat or have mouths. They emerge as adults solely to mate, and as such, only live approximately one week.

What a life! :clap:

Thanks for finding that for me Mitch... Very interesting.

SC_SVRider

Here's another picture it shows some color and a little closer, although it's pretty blurry.

299007118_Rsws5-M.jpg

It was probably calling out to us..."Feed me! I'm gonna die!" :cry: and we were taking pictures of it! :dopeslap:

Archived