IGNORED

TV question

Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka

As we seem to have experts on everything in this illustrious group:

We have a +/- 5 year old Sony Trinitron TV. The TV works perfectly using the controls on the panel of the TV itself. The reaction to the remote control was getting less and less reliable, until it stopped working completely. Changed the battery in the remote. The light in the remote lights up with the old battery and the new one.

Question: Should I expect a defect in the remote control, or a defect in the TV unit itself?

Yes, we are Luddites, or simply not watch a lot of TV. We still use rabbit ear, no cable or satellite. Yes, we'll have to do something anyways with the change to digital. We did not get the coupon assisted control box yet. Thanks for help... and I don't get mad if you tell me to just buy a new set... :)

Paul--

I can't tell you where the defect lies, but I'd guess it's more likely a problem with the remote control. You can buy inexpensive remote controls in hardware stores, drug stores, Radio Shack, etc. It just takes a couple minutes with the owner's manual to enter the correct code for your TV, then the remote will communicate with your TV. For $10 or so, this will perhaps fix your problem.

and I don't get mad if you tell me to just buy a new set ...

They come in one piece now. :eek:

Jus' kiddin'

Although I'm no expert, I went through the same thing a while back. What had happened to us was the little reciever window ( a little 3/16ths in. plastic thing-a ma -bob) on the tv had become filmed over, over the years, with cleaner residue and wasn't receiving the signal from the remote. A Q-tip moistened with alcohol cleaned it right up. Still working one year later. Worth a look-see maybe.

Sometimes the TV needs to be reset. If you unplug the TV for 30 minutes or so, then start over, sometimes the TV regains its memory. Worth a try.

motoguy128

Try a universal remote to rule out that it's the remote. Open the package carefully so you can return it if needed.

IF that doesn't fix it, time for a new TV. You don't need to get anyting Fancy. they still make Tube TV's but they all now have digital tuners. Althogh personally, I'd still drop $600 for at least a 32" HDTV with only 720p resolution.

You might be able to donate the old TV to a school or some place where it will work fine with a VCR/DVD player as a monitor only.

Otherwise... gasp, you could use the TV without a remote. It will throw you back to the stone ages of TV's from 20-25 years ago, but it's a alternative. I'm just barely old enough to remember TV's without a remote.

Although I'm no expert, I went through the same thing a while back. What had happened to us was the little reciever window ( a little 3/16ths in. plastic thing-a ma -bob) on the tv had become filmed over, over the years, with cleaner residue and wasn't receiving the signal from the remote. A Q-tip moistened with alcohol cleaned it right up. Still working one year later. Worth a look-see maybe.

+1

Paul Mihalka

Well, our TV helped to make up our mind. Yesterday evening it completely stopped working. So to the dump it goes. The tax rebate won't be nearly enough for everything I want to do with it. :grin:

Well, our TV helped to make up our mind. Yesterday evening it completely stopped working. So to the dump it goes. The tax rebate won't be nearly enough for everything I want to do with it. :grin:

FWIW, I've had success 3 times getting a CRT TV repaired for <$150 at local TV repair shops. In each case, there was a transistor or capacitor that was shot, and replaced rather easily by a geek with a soldering iron. Much less expensive than a new TV.

If you don't go that route, beware that it might be illegal to just put the TV in the trash or a landfill. There are probably recyclers in your area who will take it off your hands for free, or for a small fee.

Paul Mihalka

Joel, Thanks for the suggestion. I'm almost grateful that our TV packed up. It made the decision easier to get a new prepped for digital HDTV.

I checked with our county landfill and they do take TVs.

So make sure you get one with a tuner built in. I think almost all of them do now. You should be able to get HD off the air for free just as you get analog now. You'll probably find that you get extra channels. Each station can run more than one.

Enjoy the new set!

Go for as big as you can. LCD if there will be bright light in the room, plasma if you have a dark room. 720p is plenty.

Rear projection is cheaper to buy, but costs more in the long run.

Jan

Archived