IGNORED

Dates conflict trying to install WinXP Pro

Bill Dennes

Bill Dennes

I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro on a machine that came with Win XP Home. I've been keeping the XP Home system current with Windows Update. I bought a copy of Win XP Pro to install over XP Home in order to have all 3 PCs in my house running XP Pro.

When I try to run Setup from the XP Pro CD, I get this message right away: "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."

Apparently I have the option of booting from the XP Pro CD and installing the Pro version from scratch, BUT the rest of the error message says: "Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered." I'm not sure that I really understand this, but I'm pretty sure that I don't want to do it. (?)

Does anybody know a way around this with a Registry edit or ???

TIA

Nope. Back up all your data (using a profile backup tool of some sort--Migration Assistant or something like that?)

Then install from scratch. Doing MS OS upgrades always seems to leave a bunch of "stuff" around the machine. Much better/more stable to do a clean install.

Off-hand do you know what version of Service Pack you have currently under XP Home, and what Service Pack version the XP Pro CD is?

Aluminum_Butt

I don't think you're going to get around this one without a clean install. And, I agree with Woodie, you're better off doing one anyway. HOWEVER, that's not a process to be under taken lightly. You'll need to get drivers downloaded, backup your data, etc.

Can I ask why you want to standardize on XP Pro? I wouldn't think there would be differences between Pro and Home that would matter on a three-station home network...

Can I ask why you want to standardize on XP Pro?
Don't know about Bill but I'd like to run IIS/SQLServer
Jerry Johnston

This is maybe a dumb question but is your XP pro an upgrade version or stand alone version?

Francois_Dumas

I agree with Woody. And if you've been running Windows for mor than a year on that machine, then re-installing the lot will be better anyway.... you'll be amazed at how FAST the PC will be again ! :grin:

But yes, you'll need all programs and drivers to re-install again too, and make a backup of all your personal data and files first.

OverMyHead

It is the difference in Service Packs that is causing the issue. You can't upgrade if the cd you are using has an older service pack (or no service pack) than the version installed on your machine. I'm guessing you have SP3 or SP2 on your machine and the CD you are using is SP2 or SP1.

Depending on how much you want to dig into this, you can get around the problem by slipstreaming the current service pack into your existing XP Pro CD. This basically involves copying the XP Pro CD to your hard drive, downloading and integrating SP2 or SP3, burning a new CD and installing from it. My favorite tool for doing this is nLite.

However, I very much agree with the others that your best bet is not an upgrade, but a backup of all your files and re-install from scratch. It is more painful initially, but can avoid gremlins in the future.

David

I tried this a couple of years ago and found exactly the same thing. I called Microsoft support and they said "of course it won't..." I just decided to keep on with XP Home and not go through the hassle of reinstalling everything I have on this box. Good luck to you with the endeavor...

Archived