IGNORED

flying into San Fransisco Airport

randy

My family will be in California on July 2. I fly into the San Fransisco airport Friday morning July 4 around 11am. Is there an easy public transportation to get my out of the airport and to a more remote (i.e. less trafic) area. My wife really does not want to drive the care (with 12' trailer) thru downtown traffic. I know it will be a holiday morning, but still if there is an easy way for me to get on some public transportation and get out of the city and meet her at some remote location that would be better. she is coming up from Las Angeles, and Ryan is riding over from Fresno.

Once we meet I will unload my bike, join up with Ryan and then Cathy will take a route that covers some of the items being posted in the thread on geological sites, and Ryan and I will be heading up highway 1.

so any suggestions on the best logisitics for this, would be greatly appreciated.

Firefight911

I've got two options for ya -

1 - Change to Sacramento Int'l and we'll pick you up, etc.

2 - We'll pick you up at SFO and get you back here to the Sac area for staging, etc.

I'm sure we can logistically help out in any way. Just let us know.

www.bart.gov

It will take you N,S,E,W out of the city as far as you want to go. Where is she coming from

Cathy is coming in from LA, Ryan is riding over from Fresno

This is our logistic's

Cathy leaves Atlanta around June 26 and drives to 29 Palms, CA arriving on July 1. Ryan is honorably discharged on July 2, lets say by Noon he is ready to go.

Cathy heads over to LA to visit a friend

Ryan needs some good roads to ride up to Fresno. He needs to be in Fresno by 4pm July 3. So pretty easy to do in 1.5 days.

Chris Kinney and I fly into San Fran at 11:30am on July 4

Cathy meets us with the bikes, and Chris and I unload, suite up, and with Ryan in tow, riding basically the 1 all the way, we head up to Fortuna

We spend July 4th evening in Fortuna.

So the basic need is to have a common meeting point somewhere within easy riding for Ryan from Fresno, and for Cathy from LA, that does not put either of them into really bad traffic. Remember Cathy will be in her car towing our 12' trailer with my and Chris K bikes. And Ryan rides the Duc 996 so hot weather and stop and go traffic are a bad combination.

So here is my advice. You should catch BART in the Airport and go to the Pleasanton Station. It is in the East Bay and a very nice part of town. It will save them having to get anywhere near SFO and out of the heavy traffic. There is an Arlen Ness shop there that would be a nice place to meet, see some of his original work, plus new bikes, and then hop right on 680N directly towards Fortuna.

I just moved from SFO after living out there for the last 20 years. I went there for a 2 year work assignment and stayed a bit long.

If the Arlen Ness thing in Pleasanton doesn't work, let me know and I can give you other ideas. There are two big malls. One is called StoneRidge and the other slips my memory, but I can get it...that is in case the wife wins where you meet up....

Be aware however, your driver will start picking up traffic from San Jose some 60 miles south. It is not horrible, but it isn't country. There is just no way around traffic in the Bay Area.

Traffic Friday morning 101 north to 680 north not a problem. Lots of lanes now...

And the Pleasanton BART station is a good option. You'll hop on your bike and in just about an hour you will be into wine country and towards the coast.

Have fun.

MB>

thanks for the BART link, that was just what I needed.

My wife has decided she wants to cross the golden state bridge, and to maybe see alcratraz. Therefore the Embarcadero station looks good to us.

All this information has been great thanks

Have fun...nice area, but be aware there is virtually no parking in Downtown San Francisco, and parking is very expensive....$25-40 will buy you about 4 hours in a parking garage.

Do some research on-line and you should be able to find some place to drop your trailer and bikes. San Francisco and California in general is a very BMW motorcycle friendly place. Enjoy the lane-splitting. You will grow to like it real fast. Couple of notes. The helmet law is strictly enforced. The state laws says only one ear plug and no music, although most people including me always wear 2 plugs and mostly with music.

Marin BMW is not too far from your destinatation with nice people and a nice shop. San Francisco BMW was rumored to be getting out of the bike business and selling their inventory some time back. It was a combo car/bike BMW shop.

Jacqueline

Randy, if you, your family, and Chris need a place to stay while in the Bay area you are ALL welcome to stay with Richard and I. We are just North East of San Fran... Richard works nights at the airport (wrenching on the planes)... you're coming in a little late for Richard to meet you at the airport (he gets off work at 7:00am). Need someplace to put the trailer?

Jacqueline

ceo hank freid

Stay at the Best Western Carriage Inn San Francisco Hotel and experience the charm of breakfast in bed. Accommodation at the Best Western Carriage Inn San Francisco Hotel is a pleasure for guests. Two major transportation trends have emerged in San Francisco recently: the rise in low-fare airlines and cruises coming to town. Some of these airlines have been flying to the area for decades, but an increase in low-cost carriers in recent years means more competition and often better prices for flights. ATA, AirTran, Alaska, America West, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, and Ted are all low-fare airlines that fly into one or more of the major Bay Area airports. Additionally, newcomer Independence Air has started flying to both San Francisco and San Jose, and Virgin America, a low-cost airline that may or may not begin operating, plans to use San Francisco as a hub.

If you guys need a safe place to park your trailer, make a pit stop etc, let me know. I'm in Corte Madera just off the highway just north of the GG bridge.

I don't think you'll find much traffic in the Bay Area on a holiday. If it was me, I would have your wife leave the trailer here and then meet you at the airport. Drive into the city and tour around for a bit and then head north.

Tom

thanks to all the great offers, the members of this board are awesome.

after much review, we have decided, Cathy will meet us at the BART - Daly station.

From there we will cross the GG bridge.

After that we will head up to Willits, CA. Then Friday night we are driving over to Fort Bragg, Which we hear has great fireworks.

Then Sat we head up to McKinley, CA

Sun we visit the redwood forrest, and wonder up to crater lake.

Then on Monday we head into John Day, try to arrive by 4pm.

Now we are just trying to find the best roads for the Sun & Mon legs of the trip. Frid, & Sat are pretty much 1 & 101 all day.

Archived