IGNORED

Maine Scenic Road Suggestions?

TyTass

Terri and I are vacationing in Maine for a week in late August, not far from Portland. So, I'm looking for suggestions, anyone's favorite "must-see" places / "mide-ride" roads ... in that general area. That said, I'm thinking our emphasis will be on the "touring" more than "sport" aspects of sport-touring.

Definitely looking for single day trips (i.e., no overnighters as we're staying in a wonderful B&B and paying for the whole week). We're up for whole day rides - covering some miles and great sights - as well as shorter rides that involve getting off the bike and hiking/hill climbing (motor-hikeling).

Thanks ahead of time for all suggestions. You all are the best! :thumbsup:

Despite hugging the Atlantic coast, some of the best riding to be had in the Portland area is up and along the Saco River, to the northwest and the NH line at Fryeburg ME.

You've got 5, 113, 117, 107 and even 302. You can jump on 25 right out of town and head up that way. Once into NH the White Mountains beckon along with the Kancamagus, the Notches Franconia and Crawford, Bretton Woods and of course Mount Washington and the eponymous auto road. Day trips all, your roundtrip mileage for these excursions in the three- to four-hundred mile area.

If you have big ones you can go ride up MT Washington, 8 miles of 12% grade gravel road with many switchbacks. You can also take the cog railway up or they run shuttles. I suggest the cog railway. MT Washington is about 90 miles from Portland.

It is the highest place for many miles and as the movie said

"On a clear day you can see forever"

Someone once told me you you can see 5 states and Canada on a clear day.

http://www.mountwashington.com/

http://www.thecog.com/

You vertical rise from the base is about 5000 feet. Last time I was there it was July, the temp at the base was 78F and it was 42F at the top.

DavidEBSmith

# 1 suggestion is Acadia National Park. It's a long day trip - it's 175 miles from Portland via I-95 and US 1A - but it has scenery, hiking, a great view from the tallest mountain on the Atlantic coast, the Loop Road, shopping and eating in Bar Harbor.

Closer to Portland you can just head up the coast on US 1 and ride down to the coast to Boothbay Harbor, Chamberlain, Tenant's Harbor. Camden is probably as far as you'd want to go on a day trip up 1.

If you're looking for a shopping day, Freeport is just a few miles up the road from Portland and is chock-full of outlet store plus the flagship store for L.L. Bean, which has reserved motorcycle parking and no locks on the doors (because it's open 24 hours). You can't go to Maine and not go to Bean's (and note they have an outlet store just down the hill where you can find some wicked bargains).

I'll also second the recommendations for hearing up to New Hampshire. If you head up toward Norway and Bethel, ME, the Conway to Gorham to Lincoln triangle in New Hampshire - basically head for any road in New Hampshire numbered 11-something and you'll do well. Beware that Conway NH is a big outlet-store destination, really congested, and potentially hazardous to your wallet.

Thanks, All!

I'm definitely going to make some runs to NH & hit Mt Wash. I won't be riding up MT Wash. though as I'll be 2-up on an RT. I doubt either one of us would find that fun.

Yes, congestion is something I'd like to avoid. I know, I know ... then why go in peak season, right? Well, I'm hoping to reduce congestion by avoiding outlets altogether (incl LL Bean) and hit the beach roads during the week.

We really would love to hit Acadia but I fear it will be packed with tourists and the roads so slow that we wouldn't get to see much as the ride to and from would be approx 3 hrs. We'll see ... Like several of you suggested, I'm sure Rte 1 & 1A would be good.

I'll probably save the weekends for other events than riding - like kayaking. We're trailering the bike to have options and have room to pack some nice dinner wear, some of our own kayak equipment, etc. It's not a motorcycle-only vacation.

EB. I guess in your illustrious riding career in IBA you've been a bit everywhere ... or are you from the northeast as LtlJohn?

Mt Washington going up............

26621031_L5nPW-L.jpg

Coming down...............

26621958_UDYkz-L.jpg

The Cog............

26621954_H8dd2-L.jpg

The signs..........

26621025_52RZX-L.jpg

26621946_FvLSb-L.jpg

Nice road.....

26622163_ZmnXx-L.jpg

Bear notch Road

Kancamagus

Any 11x road in NH

Hurricane Mtn Road. Small and twisty.

Rt 17 up to Mooselukmeguntic.

Stay away from N Conway.

Try the Ogunquit Lobster Pound. Ogunquit, ME.

Art ... great Pics ... even better bike!

In your pics the road up Mt Wash looks in pretty good condition. I'm not too bothered about having no guardrails (as they can pretty much serve as a lauch depending on how you hit them anyway ... the key is not doing that in the first place). Seriously, how difficult is the ride up/down and about how long does it take?

Not bad if you don't look down....... :D

If you have basic dirt skills you'll be fine (light on the throttle, no death grip). It's paved halfway. There are two or three switchbacks that might give you pause, but other than that it's just the fear of heights. Just do it on a dry day. Like David said, it'll be 70-80 at the bottom and in the 40's at the top. The weather is the biggest factor. Don't bother unless it's clear and calm.

Maybe 20-30 minutes each way......

+1 on Acadia. I was there during peak season, albiet 15 or 20 years ago and in an Accord, or perhaps at the time a Pontiac... I don't recall. Beautiful, sceanic, and if you like fresh lobster, there's a bunch of places nearby to indulge. And for sure this thread has me wanting to plan a trip up. In due time, in due time...

Head up around Rangley Lakes area... Rte 4 & Rte 17 are pretty nice rides.

+1 on Acadia... if you get up early and head north you'll avoid much traffic at least on one leg!

DavidEBSmith

EB. I guess in your illustrious riding career in IBA you've been a bit everywhere ... or are you from the northeast as LtlJohn?

I married into a family that has a little summer house on the coast on the next peninsula northeast of Acadia, near the newly-opened Schoodic Education & Research Center, which is a little beyond your range for a day trip. This is the front yard of the house; Nova Scotia is somewhere over the horizon:

Hammock-sm.jpg

Oh ... what a postively revolting place! Visiting the in-laws there must be really hard to deal with. :D

Get up early? But my B&B serves a gourmet breakfast every morning at 8:00 am. What's a foodie with a borderline weight problem to do? :/

Actually, that exactly what we'll have to do - and on a weekday too - if we want to see Acadia. Thanks.

Archived