IGNORED

Need to findicool geological and historical sites

randy

Cath, myself and Ryan are coming up to the unrally. Cathy is an special ed, elementary 3rd - 5th grade teacher. She is looking for lots of cool (to that age group) places to visit. We are coming from San Francisco up thru North California then up to John Day Oregon.

We need all the idea's that you local's have. She is looking for fossils, geological unique events (like the metor crater in Arizona) etc. She needs hands on artifacts that can be used in classrooms.

In addition she will be taking lots of pictures, and buying CD's of each area

any help is appreciated

An often overlooked, and fascinating aspect of California is the information you can find regarding the Native American populations in the northern part of the state. Here's a site for the California Indian Museaum and Cultural Center that has a special section for educators. It's on the grounds of Sutter's Fort

The Gold Discovery site at Coloma (near Sacramento)

Lassen National Park

Lots of geological information here. Besides, almost nobody visits this park, so you should have it all to yourselves while you're here. Lots of steamin', stinkin' pools toward the South side of the Park. Very helpful Park Rangers.

All the earthquake data for the past week

I'll PM you with stuff as I think of it.

thanks, those will be a good start to her list/research

Thank you, and as you find additional information please post it. I will monitor this thread all the way up to the last minute.

thanks keep the idea's coming. Cathy finishes school this Friday. So starting next Monday she will be researching all of this.

If you're comming up from San Fran, be sure to stop in Muir Woods - gotta get some snaps of the incredible trees; the size just boggles the mind. In addition theres a little shop there where you can pick up stuff like 'redwood knurls' (sp???) that are still living to tend to.... Might be interesting as a class project to care for one of those...

Archived