IGNORED

Wood deck: oil vs stain etc

Geraldh

We just had a new white cedar deck built last year (Aug). After letting it dry out over the fall and winter it's starting to grey and I want to have it looking like it did when it was new or when it rains.

I've heard as lot of negative things about stain and Sikkens (peeling/washing/sanding/restaining etc).

I had WoodPro over last night for an estimate and their process uses an oil that brings out the original wood look. Has anyone had these guys work on their deck or fence etc and how good are they or is there some other process that people have used.

baggerchris

You might want to look into Pennefin (not sure of the spelling) We have used it for years on our Redwood Deck here in Ca.,; Tried Tompsons for a couple of years, and some others, but always came back to pennefin

Thanks Chris. I checked it out on Google and it's an oil base covering system similar to what WoodPro offers, so looks like I'll go with the oil base system instead of the staining route.

The guy from WoodPro told me that each spring I just wash off the deck, let it dry for 3 or 4 days and apply another coat of oil. Don't know if it'll be that simple or not but...

too old to care

The guy from WoodPro told me that each spring I just wash off the deck, let it dry for 3 or 4 days and apply another coat of oil. Don't know if it'll be that simple or not but...

It is, it is. I will never use a water base product again. The oil takes a few days to dry after you have a few coats on it, but it last much longer.

We use to use boiled linseed oil with a little mineral spirits to cut it with so it would not be so sticky of heavy. With a natural wood deck you will have to maintain it every spring. After being in the painting business for over 20 + years, that is what I recommend. There are a few new products out now though I have not used them, and they may be better. For a little color, I cut the oil with some semi transparant stain. That usually also has a waterproofer like thompsons in it also.

Check Consumer Reports at the library or on line. They have tested these products several times over the last few years.

twelve years ago I used Thompson (clear) on my redwood deck.

After a year, or so, the wood became grey and very unsightly. We scrubbed off the stain with some remover agent (PLR, or something) and then started on the road with Sikkens Wood base and followed it up with Sikkens Deck Finish. Looks like a million bucks and protects the wood.

However, now that it has been on for many years, the finish chips off during the harsh winter months and I have to repaint every spring. So, I don't recommend it and I definately advise against Thompson.

Jurgen

This is a common request we get from clients all the time: They want the wood with the "new" wood finish. The problem is that they usually don't want to deal with the maintenance required to keep this look. In any case, I've used & specified several products over the years. The ones to stay away from are the clear "waterproofing" types like "Thompsons", etc. The marketing / hype on these is just that. A bunch of hype. Most of these are just water with wax that soaks in somewhat, then dries mostly on the surface. Sun, rain, etc. just wear it away in 4-6 months on average. There are no UV protectants (such as pigments that you get in stains, etc.) so they break down fast. Any other type of clear finish (sikkens, spar varnish's, etc.) will require maintenance as well. Annual sanding and recoating would be the best course (similar to having a boat thumbsup.gif) Just going with the thinned Lindseed oil product sounds like a good approach for a penetrating product that wouild cure up and last a couple of years +. The pigemented transparent stains are the better longer term approach if you don't want to maintain them. Just my random thoughts....

hANNAbONE
I've heard as lot of negative things about stain.I had over last night for an estimate and their process uses an oil that brings out the original wood look.

?.....sTAIN oR oIL.....?

??... eek.gifeek.gif both eek.gifeek.gif ...??

Too bad it's new, otherwise I'd say tear up the decking and put down Trex. I did 2 years ago and never have to worry about refinishing, splinters, burning feet in summer, etc.

I agree. The man made products are better for a no maintence deck. But be aware, some of the products although thicker, are weaker. You may have to beef up your support framing. What I mean is, the joists will have to be closer.

I work for Akzo Noble and don't go with the Sikkens. It is great if put on properly. ut the key word is properly. I know people that have put this on by the company and it pels after afew years. Then you will be sorry.

Stay with the normal Home Depot crap. you have to redo after a few years no matter what you use.

Archived