IGNORED

Questings about riding a bicycle to work

bakerzdosen

bakerzdosen

I didn't want to interrupt the topic on gasoline prices, so I'll just start my own thread on the matter...

I know Sam rides to work (a bicycle), but anyone else who does or has, feel free to chime in.

I live 6-7 miles from work, so riding a bicycle is definitely do-able for me. However, there have always been 3 things that have stood in my way:

1) Lunch - the nearest "food" is a McD's/Chevron station about 1 mile away and a truck stop about 3/4 of a mile the other way. No on site cafeteria beside vending machines, and besides, I LIKE leaving for lunch, so I'm at the whim of co-workers for lunch or I gotta brown bag it.

2) Weather. Obviously in Utah, it's often too hot or too cold.

3) Transporting my laptop to/from work when I need to.

I can live with brown bagging it, so if that's the only thing left, I'll live.

I'll skip 2 for now.

I've never been very good at riding with a messenger bag (although I own two), so that's question number 1: How do you transport "stuff?"

OK, back to weather.

Bluntly, how do you handle sweating? I mean, yeah, there's a shower at work, but honestly, I've never seen it used. Yeah, there's that odd guy down the hall who's office smells like a locker room who I think uses it, but I just don't want to be "that guy."

So, do you shower at work? Do you just slap on the deodorant and hope no one notices? Do you not care?

And then, do you change clothes (meaning, you gotta bring them with you.) Or is all this a non-issue and I'm a wuss for not just getting out there and doing it?

russell_bynum
I didn't want to interrupt the topic on gasoline prices, so I'll just start my own thread on the matter...

I know Sam rides to work (a bicycle), but anyone else who does or has, feel free to chime in.

I live 6-7 miles from work, so riding a bicycle is definitely do-able for me. However, there have always been 3 things that have stood in my way:

1) Lunch - the nearest "food" is a McD's/Chevron station about 1 mile away and a truck stop about 3/4 of a mile the other way. No on site cafeteria beside vending machines, and besides, I LIKE leaving for lunch, so I'm at the whim of co-workers for lunch or I gotta brown bag it.

2) Weather. Obviously in Utah, it's often too hot or too cold.

3) Transporting my laptop to/from work when I need to.

I can live with brown bagging it, so if that's the only thing left, I'll live.

I'll skip 2 for now.

I've never been very good at riding with a messenger bag (although I own two), so that's question number 1: How do you transport "stuff?"

OK, back to weather.

Bluntly, how do you handle sweating? I mean, yeah, there's a shower at work, but honestly, I've never seen it used. Yeah, there's that odd guy down the hall who's office smells like a locker room who I think uses it, but I just don't want to be "that guy."

So, do you shower at work? Do you just slap on the deodorant and hope no one notices? Do you not care?

And then, do you change clothes (meaning, you gotta bring them with you.) Or is all this a non-issue and I'm a wuss for not just getting out there and doing it?

I don't ride to work (60 miles) but a few of my friends do, so I'll speak for them since they're not members here.

We have locker room/shower facilities onsite as well as a bike rack in the underground parking right in front of the security guard's booth. We do have food within walking distance as well as a cafeteria onsite, so that makes things a bit easier for lunch, and there's pleasant/interesting things a few miles away that you could easily ride to (slow, easy ride so you don't get sweaty) to get away at lunch.

Most people either use a messenger bag or a rear rack to transport their laptops, work clothes, etc.

I use a backpack for my laptop when I commute via motorcycle...that would probably work on a bike as well.

With a shower at work, too hot isn't an issue. Too cold can be solved with proper gear. Back when I used to ride road bikes, I would ride when it was in the low 40's

I believe there's one guy who drives on Monday and brings a weeks' worth of clothes. Then he takes those clothes home at the end of the week in his messenger bag. When I was moto-commuting, I would leave a pair of work shoes in my desk drawer and change out of my moto boots into my work shoes like Mr. Rogers.

Just a few ideas on commuting...

Hauling stuff there are three options:

a. Carry it in a bag messenger or backpack. I carry a change of clothes so I prefer a backpack.

b. Panniers and rack. Something like this: Jandd Panniers

c. Bob trailers are awesome for carrying LOTS of stuff: Bob Trailer

I prefer a backpack - just enought room for clothes and a small laptop (don't ask what brand/model I use 'cuz it's long since gone out of production). :cry:

I just got my wife a Bob 'cuz she wants to be able to shop and run errands by bike. These things will carry 100 lbs should one so desire. :dopeslap:

Panniers work great so long as one has a sturdy rack and doesn't overload the bike. Panniers WILL affect the handling of the bike. Bob trailers work best with touring or mountain bikes which have v-brakes or disk brakes, low gears, and a more sturdy frame with a longer wheelbase. I've used my road (race) bike and it does work, but it's just not as stable as with my other bikes.

As for dealing with heat/cold. I couldn't imagine NOT showing. But I like to ride fast and I've experienced the odor of bike commuters who don't shower. I shave at home and then bike to work where I shower.

Cycling in cold weather isn't as difficult as motorcycling as the exercise helps keep one warm. The difficult parts to keep warm are toes, fingers and face. I use neoprene booties, ski gloves and a balaclava to keep the respective parts warm. Cycling tights with windblock will keep your upper body warm.

From my experience, the two greatest causes of accidents are vehicles coming from behind and making a right turn and cutting off the bicyclist, or oncoming traffic making a left turn in front the cyclist. The basic rules of motorcycle safety apply to bicycling: stay alert, be visible, and don't assume.

Good luck with your food dilemma!

You transport "stuff" the same way as always: with the proper luggage: laptop pannier for bicycles.

A co-worker of mine at my last job commuted by bicycle. He showered when he got to work but I'm not sure how he brought work clothes to work. I do recall that he occasionally drove, but he also had his own office which made changing easy. There were also a lot of places to eat within walking distance.

6-7 miles sounds plenty doable without much sweat (literally).

What is the terrain like? (elevation gain)

How about prevailing head winds?

Elevation gain & or head winds will add substantially to the effort/energy needed.

I find 60º-80º comfortable, no additional gear needed.

Arm & knee shocks buys another 5º lower, thermals 20º more.

After you get in shape, 1 mile to/from lunch should be no big deal & a nice change from a brown bag.

Sounds like you should give it a try.

Careful tho....... you might like it :thumbsup:

Jerry Johnston

You'll be riding early morning so once you're in shape you won't even brake a sweat (as Eric said). At 70 I no longer work at an office but ride 15mi. every other day (unless it's raining). It's a chore when I first ride in the Spring until I've ridden 3 or so times. In the afternoon when you get off work it'll be the warmest part of the day but you can shower when you get home. I use a mountain bike but have a second set of wheels with street tires and have a rack that carries a case about the size of a shaving kit. In it I have spare tube, tools and a jacket (in case I get caught in the rain or it's a little too cool out.

I ride on a bike trail so can't give you much advice on the dangers of traffic but they do exist.

For a number of years (years ago), when the season / weather allowed I rode 2-3 days a week, for a 26 miles round trip.

I carried each day's clothes in panniers, and as there were no showers at work, I tried to ride at a "just breaking sweat" pace. If I over-did it on the way in, deoderant seemed to cover any issues. Fortunately the dresscode was casual and my job was not customer-facing. I rode with SPD shoes, and left regular shoes at work (one less thing to carry).

In our case there was a food stop within walking distance, and there was a refrig on site as well.

For the bike, I used both a moutain bike with road tires, and a purpose-buit commuter (7-speed, fenders, flat bars, lighting, relaxed frame geometry). I also carried spare tubes, folding tires, and some simple tools.

I commuted on rather busy roads, played by the traffic rules and for the most part had no problems. There were a number of intersections (two lanes each direction with a center turn lane) where I'd have to be "flexibly assertive", and would save energy for these events so I could somewhat keep pace with the traffic.

Mister Tee

I've done it before, when I lived within ten miles of where I worked. I just wore bike shorts and a top, and packed all my stuff in a backpack. Riding to work in the morning, you don't sweat too bad and you can just run a damp towel over your body and you're good to go. On the way back, it's not an issue anyway since you can shower when you get home.

The best backpack to use is a motorcycle backpack, which has a lot of carrying capacity and sits low on your back (I use it to carry gym clothes when I ride a sport bike to work as well.)

The roads I commuted on were busy, and sometimes I could beat traffic during rush hour. The biggest issue was road hazards - a mountain bike with Kevlar armored tires is the way to go.

Dave McReynolds

I live about 15 miles from work, but about 12 of them can be done on the beautiful bicycle trail we have along the American River.

I bicycle to work more as a matter of fitness than for commuting. A few years ago, a knee doctor told me I had better stop running, and recommended either swimming or cycling. So I try to bicycle to work at least three times a week, and it is generally pleasurable, although I admit I do still miss the running.

On days when the weather is good, I bicycle to work in the morning and bicycle home at night. It gets really hot in Sacramento in the summer, and it looks like it's going to be an early summer. It would definitely not be fun to bicycle home in 108 degree heat. So what I do on those days is to bicycle to work in the morning, and bicycle home for lunch, after which I either drive the car or ride the motorcycle to work. Don't save any gas on those days, but do get my exercise in.

I use pretty much every suggestion made here. I usually shower, but it isn't terribly convenient (the shower is in another building), so I sometimes skip it. I certainly change clothes. If I don't wear a backpack/courier bag, I really don't sweat enough to require a shower on cooler days. If I have something on my back, it generates a lot of moisture. The panniers are less convenient (have to pack two bags and they don't have good handles for carrying to the gym at work) but more comfortable on the days when I ride an extra 10-15 miles for workout purposes. If I'm just doing the commute, I usually use a courier bag.

A clean set of clothes, deodorant, and simply waiting 20 minutes before changing so that I've stopped sweating is enough that no one would know that I haven't showered, but it is a small office, so everyone knows if I skip it because they are used to seeing me head out and come back after my first arrival. Another alternative would be to simply ride slower and sweat less, but that's not fun. My commute is mostly uphill on the way to work, too.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I don't walk around smelling like a cyclist, and in the end, that's all that really matters.

Oh, I carry a laptop every day. You get used to the weight, but I do lust after a macbook air a bit I'll admit. And I always carry a book for reading, so my amazon kindle really cuts down on the weight. I keep shoes at the office, so I don't have to deal with the weight or bulk of those. I know people who drive one day a week and leave clothes in the office for the other days. I just bring mine every day. If you iron and then fold nicely, everything comes out of the bag looking just fine. I keep a stash of ties and jackets at work, too, since I never have occasion to need those outside of work (and rarely, even there)

My bike with a rack (its a surly cyclocross bike) has a (topeak) rack that has a quick release attachment mechanism that allows me to quickly swap the bag on top of the rack. I have a shopping basket that slides on there that I use sometimes, but I don't like having the weight of my stuff so high, so I usually go with panniers. But the basket is incredibly convenient and I use it for shopping.

rack

basket

tail bag with built in panniers

small bag for day rides

The bags all just clip onto the rack in 1 second or less.

Also, I have to admit to owning something like 9 bikes, which allows me to pick exactly the right bike for the task at hand

road bike

cross bike

fixed-gear

mountain bike

tandem

folding bike

girlfriend mountain bike

penny farthing

bbq bike (sidecar with bbq grill built in)

plus one trailer for the puppy. The vast majority were bought well used and then restored, so I don't feel bad about the waste of owning 9 bikes, really.

Something like this oughta hold the laptop:

pinkBikeWithBasket.gif

Sorry, Matt, but that's just too funny not to laugh at. :/

I concluded I just can't ride my bicycle to work, except on weekends when nobody else is around, because we have no shower and I just can't make myself ride slowly enough to minimize perspiration, which tends to be profuse for me once it starts. I've gotten in the habit of riding for a workout rather than recreation, and I can't seem to dial it back.

bakerzdosen

Well, I've been reading these responses intently. I even started a response once, but then got too lazy to post it after the initiator id bug hit me, and I just didn't feel like dealing with it...

Anyway, to answer Eric, I can't really say if there is a lot of altitude change. I'll ride it tomorrow to see. Honestly, other than one big hill (downhill on the way there) for a block, I don't know of a lot of altitude change. I should know about head winds after driving the route for the last nine years in a convertible or on a motorcycle, but alas, I don't. It's rarely THAT windy here - possibly affected by the huge mountain range 1/2 mile off to the side. :)

And no, I won't necessarily be riding in early mornings. I think if I showed up around 8 in my office, my co-workers would faint. I rolled in around 2pm today, so... (now in my defense, I was working on stuff until 4am.)

Now I just need to decide a route. I know I can take back roads for at least half of it, but taking back roads the rest of it would require a huge altitude change, and that just isn't gonna happen.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm impressed with how many people have actually done it.

And yes, I like the bike basket idea... Seriously, I once thought that I just have to meet seanc, but now I'm starting to think that it might be better if I don't because there's just no way he could live up to the high expectations I have of him and his personality. :)

I'm not sure I'm to the point where I'll invest in a new bike for riding to work. For 6 miles and change my mountain bike will do just fine. If I get to the point of actually doing this, I'll either spring for a decent entry road bike or just get road slicks for the MTB.

Thanks for the links Sam. I'm not ready for racks (or panniers) yet, but it's good to see the options. I'll start out with a backpack I suppose.

I sorta forgot to mention the awkwardness with showering at work is that the shower is in a mens room (no surprise there) that is right off the lunch/break room. So, I'd be showering not 20 feet from a vending machine and 30 feet from the microwaves and refrigerator. I dunno, it's just weird to me...

The idea of riding to lunch hadn't really dawned on me, and I'm still not sold on the idea. It just seems like riding even a mile in 90°+ heat wouldn't be too appealing to me. I guess right now wouldn't be too bad though. I'll ponder that I suppose.

I know I can take back roads for at least half of it, but taking back roads the rest of it would require a huge altitude change, and that just isn't gonna happen.

If/when you get in shape you might be looking for a bit more of a challenge & that "huge altitude change" may scratch the itch.

It takes a while to get comfortable being out in traffic.

ATGATT may include something like this as well as bright clothing & a review mirror clipped to your glasses or helmet.

Anyway, to answer Eric, I can't really say if there is a lot of altitude change. I'll ride it tomorrow to see. Honestly, other than one big hill (downhill on the way there) for a block, I don't know of a lot of altitude change. I should know about head winds after driving the route for the last nine years in a convertible or on a motorcycle, but alas, I don't. It's rarely THAT windy here - possibly affected by the huge mountain range 1/2 mile off to the side. :)
Once you start riding you'll probably find that it is more windy than expected. BTW - the wind ALWAYS seems to be a headwind. :grin:
Once you start riding you'll probably find that it is more windy than expected. BTW - the wind ALWAYS seems to be a headwind. :grin:

"For every up-hill, there is a down-hill.

For every head wind, there is a..... head wind" (ILGwTHOH)[insert little guy with tung hanging out here]

If you want to keep your pace down & thus limit perspiration, I would suggest not running a computer (speedo/odo) as you probably will try to best your best time if you do have one(DAMHIK)

bakerzdosen

Well, I rode it today. A couple of observations:

It was shorter than google maps said it was. According to my Forerunner, it was only about 9.2 miles (I was on my way before it fully acquired the satellites) round trip. It took me 17 or so minutes door to door and 38 round trip. The hill that I was worried about wasn't really a big deal, but the "hill" I live on was actually rather challenging for the end of the ride. I now see why we have so many long-boarders out riding that hill. However, the rest is really quite flat. I spent the majority of my time in high gear. It's been a LONG time since I've done that as my usual biking route (for exercise) takes me up a HUGE hill that I actually have had to walk when really out of shape. So this was actually refreshingly easy. And the "huge altitude change" is nothing compared to my normal riding, so I've definitely considered it. It's huge if I don't want to sweat...

I did it after noon so it was well into the 80's, but it still wasn't too bad - on the way there anyway.

As I sorta suspected, a road bike would REALLY be nice. A guy that just blew by me on a road bike pretty much confirmed that. Another problem with my mountain bike is that I kept wanting to change gears 200-300 feet from every turn. I didn't realize until today how accustomed I am to those stupid turn signals. And the rearview mirrors.

And I've spent enough time riding a bike around to know how hills and headwinds work. Two places in particular stand out: Folsom, CA and Cartago, CR. Everywhere I went was uphill and with a headwind.

As to ATGATT, I'm actually pretty set with lights. I have a fairly decent Light & Motion ARC HID Li-Ion headlight but just an LED taillight. I suppose I might upgrade the taillight and wardrobe a tad, but I figure I won't have to make too many changes. Already got the yellow helmet too. :)

I may give it a whirl this week. We'll see.

motoguy128

I have a 3 miles commute ot work. Down hill there, more uphill going home.

1) Pack your on lunch - you seem to be OK with that.

2) I check the forcast, if rain is not forcasted I'll ride if it's under 85F and over 45F.

3) I don't take my laptop home, but I have a backpack designed for carrying a laptop. You could also get paniers for you bicycle.

I compete in triathlons, so compared to my 20-23 mph ave. training ride, I simply ride at a liesurely 10-15mph and don't break much of a sweat. Even so, I work in a factory, where a little sweat now and then is common. No big deal. Get a bike with wide gearing so you can crusise at low speeds even up hills. Keep the power output low and you won't generate much heat. Coast on the downhills and allow those ot cool you off. If you can, use a rear rack or paniers for you lunch and laptop so you don''t have a backpack making your bakc sweaty.

At your distance, you could consider however, riding harder and changing and showering at work, if it's an option. My neighbor rides about 18 miles to work each way. 1 day a week he'll drive in and bring in a weeks of clean clothes and take home the dirty cycling clothes.

Jerry Johnston

17 min. for 9.2 mi. is 32mph average. That's pretty high for a mountain bike - you must be in pretty darn good shape or young.

The best I can do on my Daimond Back Axis XT is a high of approx. 22mph unless slightly down hill and I have street tires on the bike. I normally average between 13 to 17mph counting one hill that's not very long. Shifting is no big deal- just a flick og the thumb unless you have a really old bike that has the levers attached to the frame - if so you really need to look at a new bike. As far as being passed by a road bike I wouldn't worry about it. This is not about image - you'll be in much better health than you would be riding anything motorized to work.

17 min. for 9.2 mi. is 32mph average. That's pretty high for a mountain bike - you must be in pretty darn good shape or young.

I'm sure it's 9.2 round trip so that should be about 16 for an average.

Not bad Matt, all things concidered.

Sounds very do-able.

You just have to figure out the fine details.

My only question is how come it took you so long to decide to try this?

motoguy128

I wouldn't use a road bike for commuting. Couple reasons:

1) The components on a $800 mountian bike are the same quality and durability at a $1200 road bike. (economy of scale mostly I suspect)

2) You can add some slick tire to the moauntain biek and get soem good imrpovements in rolling resistance.

3) The riding postion and shock absorbtion of skinny tires on aroad bike isn't the best for commuting IMO.

4) You're doing this for exercise, who cares if you save 2 minutes to and from work.

5) The wheels on a road bike are more expensive, and much less durable if you hit pot holes.

6) Road bike tires are more suscetable to cuts form glass and road debris.

A better compromise is a cyclocross bike. It accepts wider tires than a mountian bike, they cost less and the frames are more durable. The tires are more puncture resistant, but you still get a more areodynamic riding position. They also have a fairly wide gear range.

That's what I use right now while I'm putting my permenant commuting mountain bike together. The mountian bike still has the advantage of front suspension, a rear rack (more luggag capacity) and more durable frame and wheels) I also mounted plastic fenders on it so riding on wet roads is possible.

Funny you mentioned the Rear view mirrors. I posted a comment abotu that last month. I find that my first ride on a bicycle after having been on my motorcycle recently, I'm often checking my mirrors and I feel exposed and underdressed.

bakerzdosen

I'm sure it's 9.2 round trip so that should be about 16 for an average.

Not bad Matt, all things concidered.

Sounds very do-able.

You just have to figure out the fine details.

My only question is how come it took you so long to decide to try this?

Yeah, I guess the parentheses kind of obscured the fact it was round trip.

And yes, it's very do-able. I think the main thing that has stood in my way is lunch. Well, that and showering. OK, actually, come to think of it, it's showering that's stood in my way.

I've just always separated exercise from travel for some reason. I'd get home from work, go for a ride, shower, and go on with my evening...

So, yeah, I dunno why I never tried it.

bakerzdosen

1) The components on a $800 mountian bike are the same quality and durability at a $1200 road bike. (economy of scale mostly I suspect)

2) You can add some slick tire to the moauntain biek and get soem good imrpovements in rolling resistance.

3) The riding postion and shock absorbtion of skinny tires on aroad bike isn't the best for commuting IMO.

4) You're doing this for exercise, who cares if you save 2 minutes to and from work.

5) The wheels on a road bike are more expensive, and much less durable if you hit pot holes.

A better compromise is a cyclocross bike. It accepts wider tires than a mountian bike, they cost less and the frames are more durable. The tires are more puncture resistant, but you still get a more areodynamic riding position. They also have a fairly wide gear range.

That's what I use right now while I'm putting my permenant commuting mountain bike together. The mountian bike still has the advantage of front suspension, a rear rack (more luggag capacity) and more durable frame and wheels) I also mounted plastic fenders on it so riding on wet roads is possible.

Funny you mentioned the Rear view mirrors. I posted a comment abotu that last month. I find that my first ride on a bicycle after having been on my motorcycle recently, I'm often checking my mirrors and I feel exposed and underdressed.

Thanks. Lots to think about there too. I'd forgotten about fenders...
Dave McReynolds

Without really being an avid biker, I seem to have stumbled on to what makes the most sense for me to commute on, through dumb luck, I guess. When I got back into biking, REI had a Cannondale touring bike on sale in my size, and I bought that. It has tires that are wider than a road bike's tires, but narrower than a mountain bike's tires. They may be the same size as cyclocross tires, but don't have the aggressive treads, which you don't need on pavement. One thing the road bike riders complain about is frequent punctures from thorns on the trail, but I have been riding my bike about 90 miles a week for more than two years (weather permitting) and have never had a puncture. The touring tires carry about 80 psi, as compared to 100 psi in road tires, plus the rubber and treads are thicker than on road tires. It works fine for the occasional dirt road, but is mainly made for taking trips on paved roads. And for commuting, apparently.

An added plus is that most touring bikes come equipped with sturdy racks on the back, which helps in hauling junk to and from work.

Jerry Johnston

ESokoloff is right, if your 9.2 mi is round trip you did very well. I congradulate you ! It should give you a good idea if it's what you want to do.

Jerry Johnston

I don't think it's true that a $800 mtn bike is about the same as the $1200. The frame may be about the same but the components are much better. I found I can shift the bike going up hill with my $1200 bike where as before when I had $750 the chain would often get out of wack. Many of the trail bikes aren't made to attach fenders as well as the road bike. I will agree with you on points 4 thru 6 though. :)

If they weren't so much $ I'd buy a quality bike of each style.

Get some 26"x1" tires and you'll eliminate the 'need' for a road bike. Your gearing may wind up being a little low when rolling downhill with the skinny tires, but the rolling resistance will feel a lot more comparable to a road bike. Don't forget to grab a couple of spare tubes for the narrower tires. It makes a really big difference and is a fairly cheap 'upgrade.' Most bike stores will have them. All of the mail order places will, for sure.

bogthebasher

I have ridden by bicycle to work for over 30 years (about 15-20 Km each way) in three different Canadian cities. I have ridden through winter but the salt and ice ends up being very hard on bicycles and you can trash a bike in a single season. WINTER: As for cold,definitely anything below -20C is only for those with a constitution of a polar bear. Goes something like this: Need a coat below +12C, at +10C Add long pants (lycra) as well, at +5C add gloves and ear protection, at -5C add covers for your shoes, at -10C add another layer under your jacket and add cold weather gloves, at -15C consider face protection, at -20C and below consider checking in to a mental asylum. SUMMER: From +20C to +35C lyra top and shorts and enjoy. Anything warmer that +40C carry water at all times. I have never ridden in warmer than +45C so can't comment but think it would be really hard to do.

Shower? Don't bother riding to work if you can't have one at each end.

Food? If you ride both ways each day your body will appreciate good food so by the sound of your situation packing your own would work best.

Carrying stuff? Specially made panniers on good racks work best. use internal back packs and if it is raining, put them inside small garbage backs - I have never had panniers that stayed dry for very long.

Clothes? I used to bring fresh clothes in every weekend in my cage and swap them out... but the last ten years I work downtown and need a suit and tie so keep an entire extra set of clothes (shoes, belts, everything) at work and use a downtown drycleaner. Some people carry clothes in every day - only works if you can wear jeans at work that don't show wrinkles.

Time of day: I end up riding at 5am and home at 5pm or later - both to stay away from congestion on the pathways I use to work. I would love to go in later in the morning because I end up riding in the dark a lot. Which leads to:

Lighting: If you are travelling well lit routes then front and rear LED flashers are all you will need (to be seen). If you go where no light exists then spend all you can afford to on halogen lights with charging kits. It's amazing what you can run into at night overriding your lights. I have hit porcupine, skunk, squirrels, deer, coyotes, dogs, trees, rocks, other cyclists, sleeping homeless people etc. so trust me, it is good to see where you are going on dark treeless laneways.

I use mostly mountain bikes because of the terrain and general repair of the paths these days with the added advantage of thicker tires with less flats.

Have fun...

Lighting: .......

If you go where no light exists then spend all you can afford to on halogen lights with charging kits.

If your able too, you may want to hold off on purchasing hi dollar lighting for now as exciting products are coming in a mater of months.

Archived