IGNORED

I have a need for a sprinter van

randy

I am looking at an older sprinter van. probably 2004 vintage, I am guessing a 2500 series.

I have done some research, and cannot determine what the major difference is between a 1500 and a 2500. The towing capactity, load capacity and wheel base seem similar.

Is there anyone on the board with real world experience driving/owning a 1500 and/or 2500 sprinter van.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

No experience with the sprinters.

In Dodge Truck world the 1500 is a 1/2 ton and the 2500 is a 3/4 ton. (the 3500 is a 1 ton) One could conceivable buy many different configurations of each.

Mister Tee

The Sprinters are a different animal. Standard Mercedes truck with a Dodge nameplate. They are roomy though - imagine one with some dark tint curtain windows, shaggy carpet and a double size mattress in the back.... Could turn any parking lot into a room at the Hilton, yeeeeea.

James Clark

Not sure about the Dodge/Freightliner/MBz vans.

On older vans,the only difference was the springs. Moving up to a 3500 got you stouter axles and wheels.

Paul_Burkett

On the brochure it says the GVW on the 2500 is 8,550 and the 3500 is 9,990 and payload is 3,560 vs 4,769 on 140" Wheel Base vans. Also, they come in 2500 and 3500, no 1500's in the lot. I have an '06 2500 and it is a great van. It is a working mans van, 4'56" between wheel wells and 10'5" from the bulk head to the back doors which happen to be double hinged and swing all the way around to the sides of the van. They have three lights in the back to see at night and 8 D-rings to tie things down and handles bythe back door to pull your tired butt up into the van. Two gallon washer reservoir and with synth oil you can go 20K on an oil change, and the filter is on top of the engine. 20MPG with a ladder rack and that means 535 miles to a tank of fuel.

Archived