IGNORED

How I spent last Friday Night

PRC

As some of you know, I'm kinda proud of my jobs. Out of of the several occupations that I have ever taken on, umpiring baseball is the one I use to balance out my stress filled life. Friday night (5/9) I was part of the 3 man crew that did the regional final (next stop is final four in Sarasota) for the 5A level in Niceville, Fl.

I'm on the far left, no shades

IMG_8542_edited_jpg.jpg

Making the call!!

IMG_8694_edited_jpg.jpg

Was a great time...it's really nice to see a crowd of 1000 people to cheer on their local HS. It was worth the 2.5 hr drive each way for this series. As a LEO, you wonder about the future of our kids, this makes me still believe in the future. I suggest everyone get out and support your local teams.

Oh, BTW, Niceville beat Gainesville both games!

More pics can be found Here

As some of you know, I'm kinda proud of my jobs. Out of of the several occupations that I have ever taken on, umpiring baseball is the one I use to balance out my stress filled life. Friday night (5/9) I was part of the 3 man crew that did the regional final (next stop is final four in Sarasota) for the 5A level in Niceville, Fl.

I'm on the far left, no shades

IMG_8542_edited_jpg.jpg

Making the call!!

IMG_8694_edited_jpg.jpg

Was a great time...it's really nice to see a crowd of 1000 people to cheer on their local HS. It was worth the 2.5 hr drive each way for this series. As a LEO, you wonder about the future of our kids, this makes me still believe in the future. I suggest everyone get out and support your local teams.

Oh, BTW, Niceville beat Gainesville both games!

More pics can be found Here

looked safe to me

looked safe to me

This pic was taken after the play! Notice my leg is going down. Runner is beginning to stand up.

Oh I get it, you're messin with me...be careful, I have friend in high places :grin:

Les is more

Nice!

How much schooling did this entail? Do you have any thoughts of going farther with it? It seems like a great way to spend your time!

I played coed softball for a while and our manager was the old American League Umpire Ed Runge. He had some great stories to tell! His son Paul became a NL Ump and his grandson Brian has worked both leagues.

Ed once said, ''Umpiring is the only occupation where a man has to be perfect his first day on the job and then improve over the years.''

Way to go!! Championship games are always fun.

I was the Chief Umpire in LL for a number of years, and did quite a few games as well. Plate Ump is the best seat in the house; I really enjoyed it.

Nice!

How much schooling did this entail? Do you have any thoughts of going farther with it? It seems like a great way to spend your time!

Les, all my schooling came from OJT! I have been mentored by the some of the best in college baseball. Over the past 6 years, I've managed to go from just starting out to Junior College and NAIA games. As Shaman stated, when I work the plate, it is the best seat in the house!

Here's the hokey part though.... I have gone far, but just like those kids, if I work hard, I hope to move up to D-1 (teams like FSU, ASU, Fullerton, Texas).

As for a great way to spend my time, you betcha! Before my early retirement, I'd go in and teach DUI prevention at the schools. It would dawn on some of the players that I called their game the previous night. One told me, "cool you're the blue that rang me up twice last night! I ain't gonna give you any grief that's for sure." It was a great trust builder with them and put LEO's in a different light for them.

Les is more

That's awesome! You have a great attitude. It's probably already done you a lot of good. I have a feeling there's more good to come.

Marty Hill

Now thats very cool! Surprising tho since John told me you had very bad eyesight. :grin:

Now thats very cool! Surprising tho since John told me you had very bad eyesight. :grin:

Poor eyesight is an asset in this occupation.

As is poor hearing.

Inability to tell when you're being insulted is considered a big plus, too.

The pay is low, you have to wear funny uniform, half the people think you're wrong all the time.

Sounds perfect. :/

Matts_12GS

Great stuff Pete! We wish you could have joined us, although your thick umpire skin may have directed more of the mosquitoes to the rest of us.... :dopeslap:

The pay is low, you have to wear funny uniform, half the people think you're wrong all the time.

Hmmm, kinda the same as it is here. :grin:

Yeah, he's right...I once told him he was the best motorman I had ever seen ride!

Great stuff Pete! We wish you could have joined us, although your thick umpire skin may have directed more of the mosquitoes to the rest of us.... :dopeslap:

Man, I could've used some of you famous "bug juice" after the games!!! Oh well, there's always next season.

:/

Yeah, that's why I was such a goood LEO!!!

Jerry Johnston

Looks like one of you have a bullet proof vest on.......good idea ! Those parents can get nasty. :grin:

Looks like one of you have a bullet proof vest on.......good idea ! Those parents can get nasty. :grin:

That's funny and true!!!!

What you're looking at is the chest protector. It replaced the big "balloon" you see in the commercials and from the beginning to the late 70's

Archived