IGNORED

A couple questions on my Torrey route

johnlt

I'd appreciate comments on Hwy 89 versus 89 Alt in northern AZ. Also, is the Zion Lodge worth staying in? I'll be leaving Wednesday and tour Zion and Brice staying nearby and should arrive Torrey Thursday after lunch.

I'd appreciate comments on Hwy 89 versus 89 Alt in northern AZ. Also, is the Zion Lodge worth staying in? I'll be leaving Wednesday and tour Zion and Brice staying nearby and should arrive Torrey Thursday after lunch.

89 is a short, relatively straight, flat ride along the scenic Vermillion cliffs. You may see a California Condor or two as they were reintroduced in that area about 10 years ago and are doing well.

89A is also scenic, and a much better ride but I would check the road conditions as it gets pretty high. I think the road should be fine, just not sure.

By Zion Lodge I think you are talking the lodge in the park along the Virgin River. I've never stayed there, but it is in a pretty spot. Anywhere in Springdale would be nice as well. Now that you can't drive up along the Virgin River any more, there may be more value to staying at the lodge in the park. There's some nice casual walking along the river there, and you can climb up easy trails to some good views. We saw kitty cat (you know, the big kind) tracks over there once, and some very nice cacti.

If they have availability, I think I would do that.

Jan

barryNmarin

I can't help you re Hwy 89 info, however, I'll be staying @ Zion Lodge Wednesday night enroute to Torrey Thursday. I'll arrive Zion around mid-day from Tonopah, Nv, and plan on doing some hikeing.

Maybe I'll see you there. Look for a silver 04 RT.

Archived