IGNORED

Haynes Manuals Translated

Boffin

OK as far as it goes; what about "kerbs" ? (I'm thinjking Maynard G Krebs with spelling problem) And what's with "Tyre" (a city in mesopotamia) ?

Was it Churchill who said America and England are divided by a common language ?

Wondering Wooster who doesn't know a pannier from a potato

OK as far as it goes; what about "kerbs" ? (I'm thinjking Maynard G Krebs with spelling problem) And what's with "Tyre" (a city in mesopotamia) ?

Was it Churchill who said America and England are divided by a common language ?

Wondering Wooster who doesn't know a pannier from a potato

I thought some folk might be caught out by "Mole Grips", which is the English word for "Vise Grips", not however from our need to use non-intuitive spelling for all sorts of words due to their derrivation from arcane ancient languages.

Over here, we need to curb our enthusiasm for riding up the kerb, else the subsequent need to change the tyre will tire us.

Add to that confusion the different names we use for all manner of objects, Gherkin = Pickle, Courgette = Zucchini and chaos is bound to ensue. Do not ask me about "Fanny".

Andy

Francois_Dumas

Much obliged.... this really helps poor firreners like myself get a grip on the language :grin:

Lone_RT_rider
I thought some folk might be caught out by "Mole Grips", which is the English word for "Vise Grips"......

Andy

Thanks Andy! I have to replace a sensor on Rainy's Focus this weekend and the instructions on a UK website kept talking about mole grips. I was wondering how I was going to keep the little critter from biting me long enough to get the retaining clip off of there. :grin:

Shawn

Matts_12GS
I'll never forger the first time someone asked me if I had a spare fag

I was about 15 seconds from a tussle with a couple blokes once who asked me if I wanted to blow a fag with them... Once it was explained, we went on about getting pissed!

I miss the Navy sometimes, rum, buggery, the lash and then there were the unpleasant parts of it. :grin:

Separated by a common language indeed. :D

Archived