IGNORED

Copy Protected Music?

Spyder

So, I purchased some music thinking I can use it on my Ipod. It seems that it is copy protected and Itunes will not load it nor will my CD burner make a copy. The tracks are in .wma format and play fine on my computer. Is there any way to strip the protection off of these tracks?

Yep, Apple doesn't support any non-Apple DRM-protected downloads and non-Apple products don't support iTunes purchases. Luckily consumer revolt against this kind of crap has resulted in the availability of DRM-free downloads from Amazon.com and a more limited DRM-free selection from iTunes. DRM-free is the only way to go, but you know that now... :Wink:

The easiest way to strip DRM restrictions is usually to burn the tracks to a CD and then re-rip them (are you sure that you cannot burn to a CD? Most licenses allow at least a limited ability to do this, although you may have to use a specific piece of software to do it such as Windows Media Player.) The newly ripped tracks will not have copy protection and will be able to play in any player. This method will entail some amount of audio quality loss because you will be encoding the tracks a second time, but you probably won't notice this unless you have a critical ear.

If you really can't write them to a CD there are some other options, such as software that will capture an audio stream playing on your computer and write it to an unprotected file (same audio quality hit as above though), or sometimes it is possible to strip the actual DRM itself but that process can be more complicated.

Thanks for the reply. I did try Media Player and got the same message that they were protected and it would not copy the tracks. I wish I had known about DRM but at this point I am trying to salvage my purchase. I will look into the recorder option. Thanks again.

I had good luck turning .wma files into usable mp3s with 'Switch.' YMMV, of course.

There are a zillion audio format conversion programs available for the PC but I haven't heard of any that will convert a DRM-encrypted file (nor will Switch, according to their website.) Such a capability would be illegal in the US.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Just FYI, Apple is removing some of their DRM restrictions and currently Amazon is selling higher quality MP3s that are compatbile with the iPod. Also, I had a Program, "Noteburner"that would convet legally purchased iTunes selections to play on any player, like the Zumo for example.

Amazon is selling higher quality MP3s that are compatbile with the iPod.

Yeah, the amazon files are nice. I still buy the discs for "important" stuff, but I've been buying more and more mp3s from Amazon and the quality is good, as is the price. Hooray for legit DRM-free high-bitrate music!

unfourtunatly, I don't have a clue about this mp3 stuff and getting it to work on a player. still old sckool w/ cd and radio.

Bob

... Hooray for legit DRM-free high-bitrate music!

You mean like that Russian MP3 site which sold music by the kilo??? :dopeslap:
unfourtunatly, I don't have a clue about this mp3 stuff and getting it to work on a player. still old sckool w/ cd and radio.

Bob

Bob - we need to get you a Mac AND an iPod! :grin:

Yeah.... Key word being legit :)

He was referring to Amazon.com, not the Russian sites.

Archived