IGNORED

Happy Cinco de Mayo

dewtwo

Just curious is anyone is going to do anything special for this day? I may just have to enjoy a margarita or a shot of tequila :sick:. Pete or Marty, want to join me?

Regardless, hope everyone has a safe Monday.

My office, a bunch of aircraft engineers that are full of themselves, are having a mexican luncheon today. If they follow form it will be a sleepy afternoon with associated fumes.

Mister Tee

I protest. I'll start celebrating Cinco de Mayo when they make Ugandan Independence Day a national holiday.

motorman587
Just curious is anyone is going to do anything special for this day? I may just have to enjoy a margarita or a shot of tequila :sick:. Pete or Marty, want to join me?

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd John :D

AdventurePoser
I protest. I'll start celebrating Cinco de Mayo when they make Ugandan Independence Day a national holiday.

Hey there, Mr. Tee,

Cinco De Mayo has nothing to do with Mexican Independence day, but rather the victory of a small Mexican force defeating the French Army in one battle in 1862...

Ultimately the Mexicans lost the war and a French dictator was imposed on Mexico. He, Maxmillian, lasted about 4 years before being deposed and executed.

Why celebrate? Well, you could just tip a glass to the underdogs and their victory, or you could think about this: Had the French won, there is a good possibility that France would have entered our civil war on the side of the South. Frances intervention could have been the tipping point that changed the outcome of the war!

Cordially,

Steve in So Cal

Well, I wish I'd have seen this earlier! I would've called ya from the cantina and hoisted one across the phone with ya! I'm gonna stop now before I get accused of PUI :grin:

Wooo hoo.....Feliz Cinco De Mayo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Conio! yo tomo mas margaritas!!!

.... that France would have entered our civil war on the side of the South.

Steve, Don't ya mean the "War of Northern Aggression?" That's how we proper Southern Gents refer to it! :grin:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd John :D

Well, my dear friend, you are much better behaved than the other 2, but if you would like to be included in that motley group, I will make it so! ;)

I do realize this is no more than a marketing ploy in the US, but it seemed a good reason to lift a glass.

Matts_12GS

.... that France would have entered our civil war on the side of the South.

Steve, Don't ya mean the "War of Northern Aggression?" That's how we proper Southern Gents refer to it! :grin:

There was nothing civil about that war!

10103795.jpg

Mister Tee

Hey there, Mr. Tee,

Cinco De Mayo has nothing to do with Mexican Independence day, but rather the victory of a small Mexican force defeating the French Army in one battle in 1862...

Ultimately the Mexicans lost the war and a French dictator was imposed on Mexico. He, Maxmillian, lasted about 4 years before being deposed and executed.

Why celebrate? Well, you could just tip a glass to the underdogs and their victory, or you could think about this: Had the French won, there is a good possibility that France would have entered our civil war on the side of the South. Frances intervention could have been the tipping point that changed the outcome of the war!

Cordially,

Steve in So Cal

Yes, yes, I understand that - I'm not equating the two, that wasn't exactly my point.

AdventurePoser

Hey there, Mr. Tee,

Cordially,

Steve in So Cal

Yes, yes, I understand that - I'm not equating the two, that wasn't exactly my point.

Sorry for the history lesson, but what was your point? That Cinco de Mayo joins the Pointless Holiday list? It's unfortunate that an event so culturally/historically important to such a large group of people is reduced to just another reason to drink... :grin: :grin:

Ride safe, and have fun!

Steve

Hey there, Mr. Tee,

Cordially,

Steve in So Cal

Sorry for the history lesson, but what was your point? That Cinco de Mayo joins the Pointless Holiday list? It's unfortunate that an event so culturally/historically important to such a large group of people is reduced to just another reason to drink... :grin: :grin:

Ride safe, and have fun!

Steve

Ahh, but it is only reduced to a drinking holiday in the US. Do you really think Mexicans are shoting fireworks for the 4th of July. I don't know if this is an important holiday to the Mexicans or not, but I do take a moment on May 5th to thank our friends to the south for their livations. Now get off the serious s**T! This was supposed to be about fun and picking on PRC! :/:grin::D :D :D

This was supposed to be about fun and picking on PRC!

Man, I feel like Charlie Brown.."why is everybody pickin' on me??"

And yes, I know, "he's a clown, that Charlie Brown."

Yep I got big feet! :blush: :D

Mister Tee

Yeah yeah, the Mexicans get all these cool drinking holidays, and the best they can give us is a single somber day to remember some studious looking black man.

AdventurePoser

Hey look, at least you know what they say about big feet....

Hope to see you all in Torrey, where we'll hoist a glass to all the holidays, real and imagined!

Steve in So Cal

In Torrey, just hoist a glass for the less fortunate out there. You know those of us that can't be there with you!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Hey look, at least you know what they say about big feet....

Yeah, I wear big shoes!!! :D

Hope to see you all in Torrey, where we'll hoist a glass to all the holidays, real and imagined!

I wish I could my friend, however that would require funds that are not available at this time (yeah, I still have checks in the check book so I can't be out of money)!

Archived