IGNORED

Dealer policy on mounting tires

Mike O

[rant mode on]

So I'm getting the bike ready for Torrey and need to get new tires mounted. A month or so ago, I go to my local dealer (Foothills BMW in Lakewood, Co) and inquire about a set of replacement Michelin Pilot Roads. I get the following from the parts guy: "Yea, those are in high demand. We don't have any in stock and we might get some in couple of weeks." I say: "OK...I'll continue to look for some. I can't take a chance you 'might' get some in time for my trip to Torrey". So, I find tires on SWMoto (very helpful) and voila...I order and they arrive. I'd love to mount these myself but don't have the proper tools so call the dealer back yesteday and ask what they charge to 'mount' tires and here's how the conversation goes:

Me: "Do I need to make an appointment to have tires changed or can I just bring the wheels and new tires down there?"

Him: "Did you buy the bike here?"

Me: "Yes I did." (strikes me as an odd question)

Him: "Did you get the tires from us?"

Me: "No I didn't. You folks didn't have them in stock".

Him: "Sorry, we only mount tires WE sell. I can't mount your tires for insurance reasons."

Me: "Insurance reasons? Do you need to take the wheels off the bike?"

Him: "No...for insurance reasons I can't mount tires you didn't buy here."

Me: "These tires are brand new and still have the Michelin labels glued on. I'm not asking to have them mounted for free."

Him: "If we don't sell 'em we can't mount 'em. I'd have to do a DOT check on those tires before I could mount them. Sorry, our policy."

I won't go into the rest of the conversation, (hey they could have made a few bucks for there service - that's fair) but proceeded to call another dealer here in town (BMW Denver) and no questions asked; I get an appointment for Tuesday morning. Far easier to deal with. Now I'm all for supporting the local dealers (within reason), but if local dealers want to keep my business, they'll have to do a little bit more than have me drive across town to another dealer simply because I didn't buy the parts from them (insurance reasons?---gimme a break; this wasn't a problem with the other dealer - they were looking to provide good service - now that's novel).

David posted a question a couple of days ago about what dealers were gonna be like in 10 years. Had it not been for the 'internet' I may not have found the Pilot Roads to begin with and would have HAD to wait for this local dealer to get the tires and wouldn't have been put into this predicament.

However, here we are in the 21st century and I have a local dealer with 19th century policies. A little more service like this and we'll be one less dealer in Denver.

[/rant mode off]

Regards,

Mike O

Seems to me that the dealer should have done a little research and sourced the tires from SW Moto just like you did. May have eaten into his profit a little, but would have kept a customer happy...

(BTW, I always use SW Moto for my tires).

if you don't mind...what's the diff between pilot power and pilot road. gonna need new tires shortly and was going to try the pilot roads. the "powers" look more sporty.

Andy Buersmeyer

Mike,

I just purchased Pilot Roads from SWMoto and had Northern Colorado BMW install them. They didn't have a problem installing tires that were not purchased from them, but they DID charge me extra for labor. I still saved money.

They seem to mark-up tires 50% or more. If dealers didn't have such huge mark-ups I'd be willing to purchase from them instead.

Is Denver BMW charging you their "normal" fee?

Mike,

I just purchased Pilot Roads from SWMoto and had Northern Colorado BMW install them. They didn't have a problem installing tires that were not purchased from them, but they DID charge me extra for labor. I still saved money.

They seem to mark-up tires 50% or more. If dealers didn't have such huge mark-ups I'd be willing to purchase from them instead.

Is Denver BMW charging you their "normal" fee?

Yup...(I called Northern Co. as well. They're quite a drive for me - albeit they were helpful as well)

Just to be clear, I would happily have paid for the tires to be mounted. I was NOT looking to get this done for free. And I likely would have bought the tires from them - that's actually where I shopped first (again, with a reasonable markup and difference in price from SWMoto, for example). I do like having multiple dealers to choose from (good ole Capitalism).

What irritates may is their arrogance in that they choose to pass on dealer service revenue (I keep hearing about how slim margins the dealers have that I find it ironic they turn away service business?) simply because they didn't also make revenue off my tire purchase. I don't buy that insurance crap of an explanation.

In the end, I will be voting with my wallet. Maybe a few policy changes in the future might cause me to explore doing business with them again. Kinda sad (for them), given the money I've spent there.

Regards,

Mike O

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Tires are an interesting animal IMO. I can pay a dealer 50% more than what I can get them for at the local tire shop, and then pay another 50% on the installation. I have been perplexed about this for quite some time, and it is pretty much the only thing I don't go to my dealer for, assuming they normally carry the item. Here's what I think:

A mechanic typically does mechanical type work, i.e. they fix engines, change parts, diagnose problems. They have a lot of overhead and charge a price per hour that typically reflects the cost of running a business. I don't know the volume of tire sales the local place does, but they would have to charge the BMW rate for a tire change, (how many hours does the book say it takes?) and must cover the costs of buying tires at a (most likely) higher cost. It costs more to keep their employees trained, and may cost more to keep them there, vs. going somewhere else.

The tire guys buy tires in bulk. The one I go to has lines of bikes out front and most of them are getting new tires. They charge a flat rate for on the bike/ and another for off the bike. It doesn't matter what you ride, they have the tires in stock (usually- sorry Benicia_RT) and can get it from the supplier if you give them a day or two "heads-up." Their service is tires. They are literally rolling out of the place all day. I dropped a pair of rims off the other morning to have new tires fitted and before I could get half way back to work, they called and told me they were done. Less than 20 minutes. Volume is the key here- and it's the edge they have over any BMW dealer when it comes to getting the tires changed.

Now, take your car to the mechanic and ask him to put tires on it. LOL. I think most of the dealer provide tire service more as a "service" or maybe even an "accessory" but they do have to cover their costs, and make a bit of money to stay in business.

As for the insurance- you never know. I worked for an ambulance service who's average entry level employee was 19 or 20. These people typically turned into a semi-long term employee, and didn't want any scars on their record since most were looking for fire service jobs. Without notice the insurace carrier decided that it wouldn't insure anyone under 21 years old. The insurance company had obviously not looked at the demographic of the ambulance company, nor the job, or given it much thought beyond the bottom line of your typical "teenager." Eventually the ambulance company dropped the insurance company because they couldn't work out a compromise. It was a HUGE account too. I guess what I'm trying to say (after making a short story long... sorry) is that the insurance companies know whats good for thier business, and make the rules accordingly. Businesses must either play along, or find someone else. Maybe the BMW dealer in question doesn't see that they're missing much business with this rule.

Check a local Honda dealer. They usually have the equipment to handle BMW wheels. I've taken in the wheels unmounted and they no problem replacing and balancing the tires.

Mike,

I ran into the same thing. Loveland BMW wanted twice the rate to put "my" tires on ($75 per wheel to install, instead of $37.50). I said no and went to the Honda dealer in Boulder and they removed the wheel ($5), mounted the tire and balanced it for $37 a wheel.

Shoot me an email if you want to ride sometime.

Thanks, Chris

I think this is fairly typical of BMW dealers - my dealer would not be quite as direct as yours, but it is clear that mounting tires purchased elsewhere is NOT business that they want, even though I bought my bike there. Since I run a track bike as well I have located a little shop near my house that deals in some off-brands and accessories. They get me any tires I want within a day or two (if not in stock they order them out of LA for me) and if I take the wheels off my bike myself, tire mounting costs are very nominal. I think paying a BMW Dealer 75 or 100 dollars to change a tire is just throwing your money away, so, as others have suggested here, find yourself a good shop that is used to catering to the squid crowd - lots of those kids don't have too much scratch in their pockets - and get them mounted up at a reasonable price.

Pilot Roads are nice tires - I run them on my Ducati when I take it on the road and if you want a nice, responsive, sport-touring tire they are a great choice and have great wet grip (although I run Metzeler Z-6's on my RT). Michelin has a number of other tire options which are progressively more sporty and softer - all the way down to the Pilot Race. On my track bike I run a Pilot Race front and Pilot Sport rear - incredible, soft grip but I swap them for the Pilot Roads after track day.

Best of luck.

Mike:

Have you tried Discount Motorcycle Tire ? I haven't, but heard their service was pretty decent and the price was good. My link didn't work, so I don't know if they're still around...

I'm fairly lucky...a guy in the PP Riders club has the gear at home and accepts drop-ships from SW Moto smile.gif

I'll see ya at Torrey!

jan

Mike:

Have you tried Discount Motorcycle Tire ? I haven't, but heard their service was pretty decent and the price was good. My link didn't work, so I don't know if they're still around...

I'm fairly lucky...a guy in the PP Riders club has the gear at home and accepts drop-ships from SW Moto smile.gif

I'll see ya at Torrey!

jan

Actually, thats where I had my last set done. And they are now in 'receivership' (ala out of business).

If all the BMW dealers had this policy, I could understand. But its this one that seems a bit to stern for my liking.

Regards,

Mike O

Mike,

There is a new service store open, a former master mechanic with one of the local dealers. His price $25 per wheel from on the bike and includes balancing.

Join us for breakfast and rides, Saturdays at Red Rocks Grill, west end of Morrison 8:00am.

I bought my last set of Pilot Roads from SWmoto, and had them mounted at Cycle Gear. I pulled the wheels in the parking lot and brought them in. I think it was like 15 bucks a wheel to mount and a 3 buck disposal fee for the old rubber. The guy that mounted them asked where I got them, so I told him. He didn't care either way, and the service was great. I will do buisness with them again thumbsup.gif

Last time I was in Cycle Gear ( http://www.cyclegear.com/ ) they mounted tires and mounted them for even less if you bought from them. As I recall, their prices looked good too, though I have nothing to compare too.

MICHELIN PILOT ROAD listed as $114.99 - $171.99. What size did you buy?

Ooops, but not in CO. Sorry... http://www.cyclegear.com/store.cfm

russell_bynum

what's the diff between pilot power and pilot road

The Power is a sportbike tire, the Road is Sport Touring. I run both and love 'em. I've got Pilot Roads on both BMW's and Pilot Power's on the CBR. Really, the only reason to go with the Power is better grip. But you're going to do that at the expense of longevity. BIG TIME. And...considering that you can put the valve cover on the ground with a Pilot Road, How much more grip do you need? smile.gif

Tires are such a racket.

I had a similar experience. I went into the LD and told them I wanted a pair of "X" tires. They didn't have them in stock and proceeded to tell me that the "Y" tire was just as good for less money, blah, blah, blah. When I asked them if they could order a pair, I got the same song and dance as MIke O, so I went home and with one click of the mouse, voila, the tires were here in two days. When I asked the LD if they would mount them, I was told that they charged $50 plus their regular fee ($25) for tires they didn't sell, so I went to the local Suzuki shop and they mounted and balanced my tires for $25 each.

You would think that BMW dealers would understand the market of tires for high mileage riders and figure out a pricing structure that would keep people coming back.

I approached my LD with such a plan, and he ran me out of his office. When I approached the Suzuki dealer with a "deal" where we paid a bit more than internet prices plus his standard mount and balance fee, he agreed.

And people wonder why BMW dealers are folding like Wal-Mart tents in a blizzard.

[HIJACK]

Is your avatar a Kaw Z1? Too small to really tell. My second bike was '76 900 LTD. At the time, one of the first 4banger rockets; and the LTD had lots of factory options on it. Kinda miss that bike (except the leaking alternator cover - ruined at least 2 boots!)

[/HIJACK]

Yep...1975 Z1...just like I had when I was 18, right down to the 4into1 exhaust. It's perfect other than the exhaust (which are hanging in the garage)...and tuned dead on.

There's nothing better than smoking some hotshot with a thirty year old motorcycle.

491231-DSCF0287.JPG.6940ab89a969ab045335865b90e46835.JPG

I found this Z1 in a chicken house in Kansas. It had 7K miles, a Windjammer fairing, a king/queen double bucket seat, a ten pound luggage rack, and a two foot sissy bar. The headlight and turn signals were missing to accomodate the fairing, the manifolds were cracked, the chain was rusty, and the carbs were plugged...but it did turn over. It was also covered in dust, rust, and chicken crap; other than that, it was cherry.

Ebay, Gunk, Scratch remover, NOS parts, and elbow grease brought her back to life.

I can't think of a better way to spend spare time...looking for the "right" parts almost became a disease. Come on up to one of our Devil's Tower Close Encounters, and I'll let you take her for a spin.

My dealer told me they would mount tires for $40/wheel if I brought in the wheels, then told me to ask in service because they didn't like to mount tires they didn't sell. The local Honda dealer is very happy to have that business for much less money and they do a great job.

Jim VonBaden

I paid $289 for a set of MEZ4's at my local dealer, and another$110 to have them installed. Needless to say I was appalled!

The next set, Pilot Roads, I ordered from SWMoto for $217 delivered, purchased a HF tire changer for $69, and changed my own. I saved over $100 on the first set, and will save even more as I change more tires.

I would patronize the dealer if they didn't patronize me!

Jim cool.gif

I would patronize the dealer if they didn't patronize me!

Jim cool.gif

Indeed...

I'd meet 'em half way, but I guess that's just not good enough.

Come on up to one of our Devil's Tower Close Encounters, and I'll let you take her for a spin.

Gawd, if I did that, I'd be spending the time I wasn't doodling on the RT working to find another Z900 LTD. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of my bike (that was pre-digital age !).

I keep looking for a reason to head that direction...hmmm.

Regards,

Mike O

Come on up; we're a bit uncivilized, but we have lots of fun.

No doubt...find the picture of the old KZ900 and scan it. Those were the golden times of motorcycling...my next project is a Yamaha RD350.

Back in the day, the RD350 was a money making machine at the Saturday night drags...and I had one in 1973 complete with expansion chambers and high comp pistons...I never lost a Saturday night drag with that bike.

There's just something about a giant killer...

russell_bynum

another$110 to have them installed.

JUMPIN' JELLYBEANS!!!!! You've got to be kidding me! eek.gif

Did they wear ski masks and yell "This is a stick-up" before they did the work?

I think they forgot to tell us these tires had gold threads in them. wink.gif

Jim VonBaden

Tell me about it! Twas sticker shock in the extreme. I guess I learned my lesson about not asking the price first. dopeslap.gif

Anyhow, the Harbor Freight unit works OK, and will be better when I get Mitch's magic bar! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

• 3 months later...

I looked into buying several BMW dealerships and talked to them about the insurance on the tire changing dialogue. Its all BS to try and force you to buy your tires from them by making it a hassle to get mail order tires mounted. Really dumb. Builds dealer loyalty, huh?

My BMW dealer said $40 apiece to mount and balance if I brought the wheels, and then told me I needed to talk to the service manager if I didn't buy my tires there, because he did not like to do them otherwise. Needless to say I found an alternate place for mounting. Seems like relly easy money at that rate, but apparently they don't need the business.

I paid about $90 at the 'local' BMW dealer to have my ME-880s mounted. (SWMoto tires purchase.)

It's a little more spendy for the labor than the local indy shop, but I don't mind throwing a few bones to the LD from time to time. I'd rather know he's there when I NEED him...

They didn't give me any headache at all about bringing in the tires to be mounted - though he DID warn me that if the tires had any kind of problem, they wouldn't be the intermediary or do any kind of warranty service on them.

I'll probably do it myself next time, but they were in dire need of replacement, and I didn't have the time/tools available just then.

Now I just need to go get some NON-communting miles on them, and erase those sorry chicken stripes...

G.

After the last hosing I recieved at the "dealer", I stopped by K.C Engineering in S.F. for tires. Front and Rear ME 880's mounted and balanced for $314, 30 min later I was back on the road. thumbsup.gif

Here's a squidsite link to changing your own tires.

Anyone have anything better?

Changing tires with Harbor Freight tire changer

This one's pretty good here.. Shows how to do it the blood/sweat/tears way with tire irons.

Mitch, are you able to balance the rear wheel/tire assembly using the jig shown in the link you provided above, or does the one-sided design of the wheel thwart that? If different from that shown, how do you balance the rear?

I bought my last set of Pilot Roads from SWmoto, and had them mounted at Cycle Gear. I pulled the wheels in the parking lot and brought them in. I think it was like 15 bucks a wheel to mount and a 3 buck disposal fee for the old rubber. The guy that mounted them asked where I got them, so I told him. He didn't care either way, and the service was great. I will do buisness with them again thumbsup.gif

Last time I was in Cycle Gear ( http://www.cyclegear.com/ ) they mounted tires and mounted them for even less if you bought from them. As I recall, their prices looked good too, though I have nothing to compare too.

MICHELIN PILOT ROAD listed as $114.99 - $171.99. What size did you buy?

Ooops, but not in CO. Sorry... http://www.cyclegear.com/store.cfm

+1 on Cycle Gear. They're open 7 days/week, their prices are about $5 more per tire than SWMoto and will mount balance for $11.95 (off bike) if you buy it from them. The day I dropped in they were selling all tires for 20% off. I got a BT020 with M&B for 1/2 the price the dealer wanted. The salesman said,"You've got a centerstand. Take your wheel off in the parking lot and we'll do it now."

+1 on Cycle Gear. They're open 7 days/week, their prices are about $5 more per tire than SWMoto and will mount balance for $11.95 (off bike) if you buy it from them. The day I dropped in they were selling all tires for 20% off. I got a BT020 with M&B for 1/2 the price the dealer wanted. The salesman said,"You've got a centerstand. Take your wheel off in the parking lot and we'll do it now."
+0.9 on Cycle Gear.

I paid about $40 more than it costs me from SW Moto and mounting it myself to have them put a rear ME880 on my RT. I don't give them a full +1 because when I called a few days before I was going to be in town they said they didn't have one in stock and I would have to come in and put a deposit down for them order one. I explained that I was on a trip and the guy went away for a couple of minutes then came back and said that was a tyre they do stock after all so they could order it without a deposit. They called me when the tyre came in, a day sooner than they predicted, and there were absolutely no problems turning up at the shop, taking my wheel off and having them mount it. (Tacoma WA store) I am actually very happy with their performance, the A/C in the shop was really nice too thumbsup.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch, are you able to balance the rear wheel/tire assembly using the jig shown in the link you provided above, or does the one-sided design of the wheel thwart that? If different from that shown, how do you balance the rear?

I machined an aluminum adapter that bolts to the rear wheel and holds a 1/2" diameter steel shaft; the shaft rests in bearing cradles for balancing.

Had I known about the existence of Marc Parnes' balancer at the time, I would have bought it instead. Much simpler/universal. See www.marcparnes.com.

I machined an aluminum adapter that bolts to the rear wheel and holds a 1/2" diameter steel shaft; the shaft rests in bearing cradles for balancing.

Had I known about the existence of Marc Parnes' balancer at the time, I would have bought it instead. Much simpler/universal. See www.marcparnes.com.

On its way! Thanks!

Mike,

Yeah, I started using my local BMW dealer to cultivate the beginning of a long relationship when I purchased my first BMW. I really liked the bike, I have 40+ years of riding ahead of me and touring bikes work for me.

But when the front tyre I bought from them went faulty they told me I'd have to wait 3 days for a replacement, and then possibly another 7 to fit it! I objected at this and was told to go to a local car tyre garage that supplied bike tyres. I did and got a next day service for 1/2 the price of BMW. Guess where I'll be going next time?!

Here's a squidsite link to changing your own tires.

Anyone have anything better?

Changing tires with Harbor Freight tire changer

This one's pretty good here.. Shows how to do it the blood/sweat/tears way with tire irons.

So, I changed my rear tire (off with Dunlop 220, on with the Pilot Road on R1200RT). I used the method described in the second link above (blood/sweat/tears.)

The verdict? Not too bad. A real learning experience even though I change bicycle tires weekly during riding season. The first time you do this be prepared to spend some time figuring it out.

It took me about three hours but that included building the wooden bead breaker.

Caveats: this method takes some muscle; bits of plastic milk jug are not thick enough to protect the rim, I would suggest commercially made rim protectors. Maybe someone else has good experience in this regard. I got some small nicks in the paint of the wheel prying the new tire onto the rim (the hardest part of the job)when the bar cut through the plastic rim protector described in the link above. dopeslap.gif

I think next time I should be able to get it done in an hour or so.

One odd thing: the new Michelins from SW Mototires did not have marks to denote the light spot on the tire. Anyone else notice this?

Archived