IGNORED

HVAC advise needed.

StuGotz

More specifically, looking for anyone here with residential heating ( forced air furnace) product experience.

Looking to replace a tired , old , inefficient unit.

Product searches result in mixed reviews. Looking for firsthand experience with product installation and reliability.

Responses much appreciated.

MB>

JerryMather

What are you looking for in a new unit and how much are you willing to spend upfront for it?

The more efficient the unit is, the more it'll cost ya. Are you using natural gas, propane, oil or a Heat Pump right now?

We need to know a little more to help ya.

Personally, I have always found Carrier products to be very good and recommend them if money's not an object and you're planning to use it personally for a very long time.

ESokoloff

Years ago when I was around residential units, Lennox units were a cut above the competition.

I do not know if that is true today.

Regardless of who you choose, look for the highest efficiencies you can afford/are willing to spend & go with R410A as the refrigerant. R22 is soon to be discontinued.

JerryMather
Years ago when I was around residential units, Lennox units were a cut above the competition.

and a pain in the .... to work on as a serviceman.

Thanks for your replies so far.

More details:

1100 sq ft cabin, minimal insulation.

Duct work existing, insulated .

Exhaust air pipe will need replacement. My calcs say to small, and I cannot vent to roof, this will have to vent out side of house. (* furnace located in basement)

Need approx size of new unit, cannot get info.

Will purchase high efficient unit, price no object.

Multi stage unit

NO AC

Propane

It appears most units now have diagnostic boards built in them, is this necessary?

Thanks again , this board rocks.

MB>

Anymore, aren't these units all manufactured by the same two or three outfits and simply rebranded? For example, Tempstar makes residential and commercial central air conditioners and furnaces. Tempstar is owned by International Comfort Products (ICP), which is owned by Carrier which in turn is owned by United Technologies Corporation. ICP markets furnaces under the brand names of Arcoaire, Clare, Comfortmaker, Dettson, Heil, KeepRite, Lincoln, and Tempstar.

Paul_Burkett

United Technologies Corporation owns ICP and BDP, another conglomerate buying companies in the same field. ICP and BDP are sharing technologies and parts, and although they may never become clones of each other, they each do the same job. The big difference is between builders grade furnaces and top of the line with all of the bell$ and whi$tle$, and that equates to mo money and ways that it can do the job of heating and cooling.

Good points. I guess the take-away is that all lines will be very similar and all lines will offer both low and high end models. Since the OP is looking at high-end models only, go with the installer who you believe will provide the best service.

Archived