IGNORED

A llittle math required here.....

USAF1

I called and ordered 12 cubic yards of 4-way topsoil to be delivered yesterday.....it was. but the size of the pile leaves me wondering if indeed, I did get all 12 yards. It measured 19 ft across and was 4' deep.....being as it's been a long, long time since I've had to use any of the math that was taught to me in figuring this out.....can anyone here tell me how many cubic feet/yards this pile would contain. TIA

Pat

Sorry guys.....I should have added that this was delivered by a dump truck.....so when it dumps it in your yard.....the center of the pile is 4' deep....and then tapers off to nothing at the 19' mark.......like a giant circular triangle.............. does this make a difference?

I really don't understand............as you you now know.

Pat

How wide is it?????

19 long

4 deep in the middle...say it averages out to 2 feet deep......

If it's averages 9 feet across....your good.

Whip

ShovelStrokeEd

Heron's formula will work here. s=(a+b+c)/2

a=width of pile.

b=base to apex length

c=bast to apex length (for the other side)

Now multiply by the length of the pile and divide by 27 to get cubic yards.

This won't be dead nuts cause the sides of a pile of loose stuff like that tend to form a curve but it will be close enough.

You could just weigh it and divide by the density. grin.gif

Never fails. Everytime I order gravel I fell I've been had. But it is decieving, wait 'til you wheelbarrel that stuff, it will feel endless and stretch further then you think by looking at it now.

I leave the math to the geniuses in the crowd but it sounds like they are on the right trail.

allikanbe
Sorry guys.....I should have added that this was delivered by a dump truck.....so when it dumps it in your yard.....the center of the pile is 4' deep....and then tapers off to nothing at the 19' mark.......like a giant circular triangle.............. does this make a difference?

I really don't understand............as you you now know.

Pat

Your giant circular triangle sounds like a cone. (volume of a cone = 1/3)pi(radius)squared(h)

so (1/3)(3.14)(9.5)(9.5)(4) = 377.8 it sounds like you did ok.

Never fails. Everytime I order gravel I fell I've been had. But it is decieving, wait 'til you wheelbarrel that stuff, it will feel endless and stretch further then you think by looking at it now.

I leave the math to the geniuses in the crowd but it sounds like they are on the right trail.

This is so true. "Deceiving when wheelbarrowing" is right! There is something magical about a pile of anything that you have to load and cart in a wheelbarrow (in my case it was stone). I, like most others on this thread, thought for sure I was short changed when the stone arrived, but half a days work and a zillion wheelbarrows later, there was still exactly the same amount of stone in my driveway.

ShovelStrokeEd

I remember going to the building supply company with my father when I was a kid. New 1/2 ton '51 Chevy pickup. Pop measured the bed of the truck, 3.5 x 7 x 2 and figured he could get 2 cubic yards of sand in there. He pays for it, pulls under the hopper and tells the yard guy to fill it up. Yard guy dumps about a 1 foot high pile in there and tells him to come back for the rest. Pop gets red in the face and says, expletives deleted, "I paid for 2 yards, put 2 yards in there." Yard guy, now pissed off, dumps 2 yards into the truck. Blew out both rear tires and left the truck sitting on the rear rims, bumper on the ground and both front wheels in the air. In his anger, Pop forgot that sand weighs about 2700 lbs/yard. A little much for those tube tires and a 1/2 ton chassis.

I did not laugh. eek.gif

Pilgrim............good answer.....will try to bring some for the next outdoor BBQ you may have... :D :D :grin:

Thanks you guys.....it sure didn't look what I'd figured 12 CY would look like that's for sure. So thanks for making me feel better and not having to call and having to tell some one that I was 6 yards short or something ya know? Yes, indeed, it did look somewhat like an inverted cone.

Marty

I had the front yard dug up 3 years back for a new drain field...and of course after it got filled back in....I had all this "Crap" (I don't know what else to call it....it sure wouldn't support life.....a LOT of rocks) left over. Anyway I had top soil brought in and then had it all Hydroseeded......and then had to have it hydroseeded again last year....real sparse growth.....well this year rolls around, and I'm still having the sparse grass growing in there.......so I figured I'd dump a 4-way mix on top of the golf Course Mix and I'd be good to go. Now If only I can get the Hydroseeder to show up for the 3rd time in as many years, I'll be happy. I want him to honor his guarantee..............

Pat

Archived