IGNORED

Store bought Salsa, Costco or Smart & Final ???

roydog007

roydog007

Throwin a party for my sons 15th birthday this Sat about 50 people, two bands & Tacos.

Need lots of Chips & Salsa trying to figure out what to get and how much, any ideas ?

bakerzdosen

Well, first things first:

Are all 50 people 15?

15 year olds have slightly more sensitive palettes and so hot salsa is less of an issue. Also, if they're 15 year old boys, they'll eat more. The following is based on mostly boys, but, say, 30% adults and 30% girls thrown in.

With that said, I REALLY like one of the fresh made salsa that Costco has (think refrigerated by produce). It's a medium salsa and is quite good for store bought. Lots of people like their Mango one as well (assuming your Costco has similar stock to here - which it very well may not). Personally, I don't like it, but apparently I'm in the minority.

Assuming that the chips and salsa are the only appetizers and pre-taco finger food and people are mingling, I'd say get two containers of one salsa, three of the other (you decide which) and 7 or 8 bags of the Mission brand (made by anyway) chips. I'd also grab some of their guac, but it's pricey... If you do, kill one of the salsas and get three or four packages (they're small in comparison) of guac. I think they have a bean dip there as well. Again, feel free to replace a salsa with one of those trays.

That's probably way too much, but IMHO it's better to overstock than to run out.

Remember, people will want a way to take them with them while mingling. Small plates work, but if you've got a variety of dips, a medium plate might be better.

(Also assuming the party will go for a while - if you've got two bands, that's probably a 5-6 hour party - right? If it's shorter, knock it down a bit too. I was thinking people would be there a while and want more "munchies")

Just my $.02

ghaverkamp
Just my $.02

Don't sell yourself short. That's gotta be about a buck-fitty!

That was a lot of information... A lot of information that evinced a lot of knowledge of how to party with 15 year-olds.

Since you are in SoCal, If you want good salsa find a El Tapitio, Superior, or Cardenas market. Real good salsa made fresh and very reasonable on the price.

Dave

roydog007

Thanks Matt thumbsup.gif

The party is going to be a mix of 15 year olds and their parents. And some extra musicians for good measure.

Costco sounds like the plan. I have to go there anyway for some other stuff.

I love it, you can find out anything on this board grin.gif

bakerzdosen
That was a lot of information... A lot of information that evinced a lot of knowledge of how to party with 15 year-olds.
You don't remember being 15? I still remember my locker combination from junior high... and the lockers to the sides of me. No idea why really...

Archived