IGNORED

It's been a heck of a year so far...

SageRider

After suffering from the symptoms of an enlarged prostate for a couple of years, I went in for corrective surgery (TURP) at the beginning of February. When the resultant pathology came back, it turns out my enlarged prostate was actually cancer. Preliminary staging of T1b and Gleason grade of 6 (3+3).

For those of you who have not had the joy of this sort of diagnosis, it really doesn't matter much how slow the progression of the cancer normally is or what the survival rate is. It's a really big mortality slap directly to the face. Treatment is a probability crapshoot with variables such as age, grading, staging, PSA number and more all effecting the odds. In my case, "radical prostatectomy" (prostate removal) surgery was determined to be the best treatment alternative for me.

I underwent the surgery last Monday and am now recovering. Resulting pathology has indicated that the tumor was actually a T2c. Great news and scary at the same time...

Scary because the tumor was the highest possible staging short of outside spread yet no symptoms were detectable by the usual tests ( DRE negative, PSA 1.8).

Great news because there was no spread outside of the prostate. This is a HUGE plus for survivability!

So I am now sitting on the couch turning handflips in my mind just waiting for the day I can climb on the RT and go riding again ((1.5-2 months)!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Wow!!!!!

Sorry to hear bout it....glad your on the mend....

Ouray III is just about the right time??????????

A little mountain air would be good for ya.

Keep it together my friend, you'll be at full strength in no time.

Whip

AdventurePoser

Wow, Michael, I was stunned to read this. Our best thoughts and prayers are being sent your way by Jennifer and me. Here's hoping for a very speedy recovery with no complications!

Steve in So Cal

Les is more

Having been with Jamie when he was on the receiving end of a cancer diagnosis, I know the shock. It does rock your world. I'm delighted that the post surgery news is good. Get about the business of getting well and know that all of your friends here are pulling for you!

Slyder_Steve

Dang Michael! Truley glad to hear they caught it when they did. Best wishes for a speedy recovery from Katy and I.

Slyder

Dave McReynolds

I went through the same thing a few years ago. I have had regular PSA tests about twice a year since, and they have all come back zero, or non-detectible. So they seem to have gotten all the cancer, which like yours, was contained within the prostate.

Mostly, my life has been better since the surgery. Urinary function is great, and I can do anything my 63 year-old bod is capable of.

They did nerve-sparing surgery, as I guess is common these days, so my sex life didn't come to an end. It is an adventure these days, but what is sex if not an adventure?

I guess the main thing I would have appreciated knowing is that it would take me a good year before I really felt near normal again, and things are still improving after two years. I think I expected too much too soon, and I was disappointed.

If there is anything you would like my take on, feel free to PM me.

Oh my goodness Michael! bncry.gif What a scare. What an ordeal.

I read as fast as I could because I knew you had these guys clap.gifclap.gif in the body of the post. What joy to get good news after all you have been through.

I'm praying that you heal well. Take your time. I'm sure you don't need to be told that....wow....all the best to you.

wave.gif PB

Paul_Burkett

Michael, WOW, this is big stuff and I am glad to hear that you got it caught in time. Heal well and come to the UN, one way or another.

Hey Mikey! So glad your on the road to recovery. This should be a wake up call for all men to get the yearly physical.

thumbsup.gif Thumbs up to you and we will be seeing you on the road again real soon!

Michael, I'm relieved to hear that the prognosis for your complete recovery is good. I see on the Torrey thread that you expect to be there, so I'll see you shortly. Until then, rest up and know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

BeniciaRT_GT

Sage my man,

Jacqueline told me about your upcoming event when she saw you at A&S for the first responder class.

I'm glad it was caught in time, and I hope to randomly run into you again out in Nev. or some other desolate place soon!

I hope your recovery is speedy and complete!

Let me know if there is anyting I can do for you from out this way!

bakerzdosen

Michael,

Although I'm sure you've gone through a lot to get here, I'm glad to hear that you've seemingly got a great outlook.

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Glad to know the surgery was successful.

Heal quickly my friend. You will be back on your wheels in no time at all.

1209560324.jpg1209560388.jpg

June 14th is a great day for a ride.

Hope you're up for one by then.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

From one who was treated for the "Big C", (just not in the same area), everyday gets easier. I rarely think about it anymore, and I never dwell on it.

Feel free to PM if you need some support or would just like to talk.

dAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG, mIKEY..!

crap son - this is bittersweet news.

I can only hope that the result will be a positive one as the days pass and that you heal quickly and get to throw a leg over soon.

You are on the prayer list, dewd-dah.~!

Michael, so glad to hear that you're up to surfing the web with us hoons. You've got quite a support group here. Don't hesitate to ask if you need anything.

Sebastian

Michael, I’m so glad to hear you are home and on the mend. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif You have been in my thoughts since we last saw each other at A&S. I have only had the pleasure of knowing you a short time but you strike me as a person who enjoys life to much to let this slow you down for to long thumbsup.gif.

The mind is a VERY powerful thing… be careful doing those handfilps, you’re suppose to be taking it easy.

Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

J-

Thanks every one for the well wishes and support offers! wave.gif

It is appreciated!!!

I am looking forward to seeing everyone at Torrey (I hope!) and the UN!

Michael:

Heal quickly, take care.

Do you want me to come down and run the bike through the gears next month just so the oil doesn't gel?

Mike Cassidy

Just wow. Good job looking at the glass half full. Hang in there buddy and we're here for ya. Hope to see you at Torrey or the Un.

Archived