IGNORED

Net slowdown or me?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

The last few days, there's a noticeable slowdown of downloads via comcast in the evenings. It's not due to my internal net, hardwired or wireless. It's very sporadic. Pages will fail to load one minute, then load normally a few minutes later. I don't have or know how to use diagnostic equipment analyze route tracings. Example: at 8:35pm tonight, bmwst.com loads amazing fast but attempts to use google fail completely as do advrider or quicken.

Why would some pages load very quickly all the time while a majority of others fail? Could it be bandwidth shortage when kids and adults jump on the net via a common comcast link? Have there been any national problems in the ip cloud?

Same here, and the same with two others who have called me to complain to me, since I was the one who "converted" them to Comcast digital.

Last night (Tuesday), I never was able to get on the internet. eek.gif

Yep, I was pissed! I never thought my 56K dial-up would look good!

I've been having problems with comcast's DNS servers being flakey. Rather than take the two comcast issues via DHCP, I've configured my router to use one of their servers, and another secondary server.

Things are much improved.

DNS - Domain name server. Every computer on the internet has a network address. Us engineering types like numbers, so it's something like 216.109.118.73

But you like www.yahoo.com.

The DNS server takes the name, and translates it into the number. Using the number you can connect to the other computer. It's like a phone book for the web.

I forget what router you've got Jake, but if you go into yoru windows PC (I know Tasker has no router)...Start->Settings->Network connections

Pick the active network connection, right click, pick properties. You'll get a window, look for TCP/IP in the list. Click properties.

You'll see a window that has the option to get a DNS automagically, or to specify two.

Pick that you'll specify two DNS servers.

Some googling turned these up. Pick the closest two.

199.166.28.10 (PS0.NS2.VRX.NET) - Atlanta, Ga

199.166.29.3 (nl.public.rootfix.net) - Nederlands

199.166.31.3 (NS1.QUASAR.NET) - Orlando, FL, USA

199.5.157.128 (ASLAN.OPEN-RSC.ORG) - Detroit, MI, USA

You could use my 'ol colleges too:

Name: ns-1.iastate.edu

Address: 129.186.1.200

Name: ns-2.iastate.edu

Address: 129.186.140.200

Name: ns-3.iastate.edu

Address: 129.186.142.200

I'm using one iastate, and the primary is still one comcast server:

DNS - 68.87.66.196 129.186.1.200

I set it up in my router, so I don't need to futz with each PC.

Enjoy!

John Ranalletta

Steve, thanks for the tip. I just changed the dns servers in the properties of my connection.

For anyone else on comcast with windoze try this.

Open your connections screen.

Right click and open properties.

Select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Click "Properties"

Select "Use the following DNS server addresses"

Enter "4.2.2.1"

Enter "4.2.2.2"

Click "OK"

These are Verizon DNS servers. Sure seems to have solved my problems (computer, that is).

Jerry Johnston

Not just you, I'm on Comcast and they've cut me off completely off & on for three nights now. I was wondering if they've been working on it? There very poor about giving any notice of when they're working on the net.

Your PC does a lot of DNS queries. It's best to have the servers as close to you as possible, best performance...

Having one close by, the primary, and one that's reliable, the secondary, is a good approach.

You should be able to set it up in the router, such that all your PC's reflect this automagically. But until then...go with this.

Oh and Jake, reading your new "name" I can only think of one thing...

"But Tonto he was smarter, one day he said kemosabe, kiss my ass, I bought a boat, I'm going out to sea"

steve.foote

One other thing to keep in mind about using DNS servers outside of your assigned ISP servers is that not every DNS server will allow "outsiders" access to them. Some are open and others are closed to all but a select set of IP addresses.

Oh and Jake, reading your new "name" I can only think of one thing...

"But Tonto he was smarter, one day he said kemosabe, kiss my ass, I bought a boat, I'm going out to sea"

All things come to those who wait. Kemosabe will be thy name...

19637381-M.jpg

Your PC does a lot of DNS queries. It's best to have the servers as close to you as possible, best performance...

Well, it's important that they be close from a network topology POV. Physically close may actually be quite far away in Internet terms. An easier way depending on your home network config is to set up your own caching resolver. I don't use my current one right now, because I haven't suffered from the Comcast DNS issues (which they've admitted to) but it's been helpful when I've needed it.

And to be pedantic about a previous post, DNS is Domain Name System, not Domain Name Server.

Greg

Jerry Johnston
Jerry, are you sure your link is down? Mine seemed that way, but it was the DNS servers.

I'm rather slow getting back to this site sometimes......I think you're right its probably the Domain Server that has been going down the last three days. The speed is great it was just that when I wanted to get on the internet in the evening it was down for 3 days in a row.

Asking some sys-admin friends, they suggested not having only one domain's DNS server if you can avoid it.

Having said that, making my primary a comcast, and the secondary another server seems like a fine idea.

I also asked them about the impact of using someone elses DNS server...they said it was quite minimal. So if the owner of the server allows it, don't feel too guilty about it.

It's not just Comcast, last month my provider South Central Internet came under attack with somebody poisoning their routers, it took them 6 weeks to figure it out. I talked to them on the phone several times but they never would give me any details saying it was complicated, I told them I had a degree in computer science but then they wanted my advice...

The bill came today and they have credited the full month of April, can't really ask more than that.

Glad to hear that it's not just me. I've been having problems in the evenings with my Comcast connection. I first noticed it the week of the 8th, but can't say for sure that that was the first day. I eliminated all the usual suspects on my end and it continud sporadically. From Thursday (4/14) through last night (Sunday, 4/17). When I talked to my friendly Comcast service representative about it, he told me that there were problems throug Saturday, but assured me that everything was working just fine by Friday grin.gif (must have been my imagination, right?).

Overall, I've had pretty good service from Comcast; hopefully this problem will be short-lived.

Mike, why bother? Put a secondary DNS server in your config either in the router or PC. When they die, you just skip to the next in the list.

Archived