IGNORED

When everything goes wrong......

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

..... what do you do!? Keep smiling, as hard that may be sometimes.

Since last Wednesday a few things turned significantly 'south'. The MAIN one being my mon's health. She's almost 89 now and had been in hospital for three days the week before, for intestinal tests. Until now she'd NEVER been ill... can you imagine?

Wednesday I took her and my father to hospital again to talk to the doc and hear the results.

They were not good.

95% certainty of malignant tissue, i.e. cancer.

I could only sit there with them and stare at mom. How would you feel if someone told YOU that you have cancer..... now how would you feel if a doc tells you one of your loved ones has it!!?? What does one do at such a time? We all stayed upright, swallowed, asked 'sensible' questions, and then went home and had some apple pie.

Mom says she's not going away anytime soon and will continue to pester us a few more years.

I'll have to call them today.... she's been in for a scan, and another one tomorrow.

I hope SHE is right..... we've gone through all of this 4 years ago with Nina's mother, who did not survive. And Nina's father, who is still hanging in.....

Next I drove up to fill up the tank of the Jeep, which I planned to 'load up' for our 'voyage' to Romania the next day. The Jeep had just been serviced 2 weeks ago, and gotten new brake pads and discs!

During the 20 mile drive it started making noises somewhere at the rear wheels. Sure sounded like one of the brakes were 'stuck'.

And sure enough, after the tank stop it would hardly move anymore !! Called the garage and the rest of the day was spent waiting for a tow truck, a trip on board for me and the Jeep to the garage, where it got fixed just before 5 p.m.

Did I mention that of all the 24-something cars I've had the Jeep is the one with the most problems EVER!? And this was the one I wanted most, for decades !! (I still want a Willys one day....).

The entire day was shot to pieces!

We still managed to load it, get up at 3:30 the next morning and be on our way to Vienna at 5.

The next day took us through Hungary and into Romania, both now part of the European Union and for the first time in our 36 years of travel east we had a civilized border crossing.... just like the 'real thing'.

The next thing that went wrong was my planned Internet access. I had investigated a solution, and planned a short term subscription to a wireless connection with help of our niece Camy.

But - not really surprising in hindsight - the girl at the local ISP's sales office had no idea what I was talking about, the second shop was already closed when we got there, and my connectivity a non-fact!

I am typing this on a connection from another relative, after 5 days without Internet... an absolute record for me... and a major PITA!

Now I have to call my parents to see how Mom fared today..... counting the days till we leave for 'the West' again !

Please help me crossing fingers for Mom...... and Dad.

Love from Romania,

Nina and Francois

MrHondamatic

Sorry to hear of your mother's troubles. My wife had a brush with breast cancer a few years ago and all is well now, but I know that is not always the case. A positive attitude goes a long way with this stuff. Keep your chins up and give mom all the support you can.

Francois_Dumas

Update:

just called 'home'. Her first MRI scan ever wasn't too bad and she has another photo session tomorrow. Our daughter Vivian came to town to help them and Mom was cheerful just now.

May 19th is the next session to decide what possible options there are.

She says she'll have a drink every evening now...... thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Les is more

Fingers and toes and eyes and anything else I can think of are crossed, Francois. I hope that your Mother has the best possible outcome.

Sorry to hear about your Mom's problem, Francois. Let's hope the issues are minor and can get treated to have her enjoy many more years.

All the Best!

Jurgen

Francois,

Prayers for your mom.

No matter how old they get, they are still our mothers - and all that that entails.

Best wishes,

Brad

Paul_Burkett

Francois, this is very heart wrenching news, but I am confident that you will weather this storm. Today our prayers are for you and your family.

bakerzdosen

Prayers and best wishes to all of you Francois.

Oh, and although I've teased you about the Jeep before, I'll refrain here. Many of us have been there with you... I feel the same way about my old 635csi. Wanted it badly, and oh how I've paid.

Francois....wishing you and your mom all the best...Mrs. Knifemaker and I know how it is when it comes to bad news about parents we both lost both parents within the last 4 years.

Chin UP.....and become her and your fathers strongest pillar of support....They BOTH need you now....

Hey Francois,

Be super good to your mom,

Kick the jeep in the trunk,

then replace your internet provider, but most of all...

as you say yourself,

Hang in there and keep smiling wink.gif

Sterkte,

Ken

Francois--

I hope things turn out well for your mom. It's terribly difficult to see your mother or father struggle with serious illness. Been there. Not recommended.

I can identify with your feelings of "everything going wrong." I have never been able to put my finger on why it is, but I've had that experience several times . . . about the time that you're feeling good about life, a series of setbacks often seem to hit, one after the other. I'm sure it's more a matter of statistical randomness than anything, but sometimes it sure can feel like the whole Universe is against you.

Hoping that everything goes well for your mom . . .

Archived