IGNORED

What have been your lessons learned

Helga

Each trip that involves at a minimum one overnight seems to ALWAYS involve a lesson learned for the following trip. What have been some important lessons learned from your trips?

lurker.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

The lesson many of us never learn....SLOW DOWN...Not necessarily highway speed but the tempo of the trip....Miss many important opportunities, not just for pictures, but interesting sites and events by looking too far ahead........As an example,wish we would have taken more time in Banff, gone to Jasper, etc. last summer....

The goal IS the ride not the destination...

(Wonder if I really listened to myself?)

Phil.........Redbrick

After every tour I find stuff to leave home on the next tour.

I seem to always overpack........ example, came home from Torrey and found a 1/2 inch drive rathet . way worthless added oz.s as all my travel sockets are 3/8th drive

After every tour I find stuff to leave home on the next tour.

I seem to always overpack........ example, came home from Torrey and found a 1/2 inch drive rathet . way worthless added oz.s as all my travel sockets are 3/8th drive

I learn to pack lighter......example, came home from Torrey and found a 1/2"-to-3/8" socket drive adapter. Couldn't understand why anyone would need that. tongue.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif Hiya, Tank.

Seriously, I've learned to slow down, as described above, and smooth out. Whatever the road, by now in my life I've encountered similar corners and I've taken them at my maximum comfortable speed. Doing so again provides as much trepidation adrenalin on approach, but never the same satisfaction on exit, since I've BTDT. And since my reflexes are slowing as I age, my maximum comfortable speed has come down.

Instead, I challenge myself to ride for as long as I can without using the rear brake, yet with enough speed to have to shift body weight to the interior in order to avoid scraping. Unless, of course, NoraH is in front of me, because you don't want to lose sight of that. thumbsup.gif But otherwise I'm finding a great deal more satisfaction in the smoothest possible, full-width use of the road, in late-apexing those corners I don't know/trust and sport-apexing those I do. And in keeping my straightaway speeds under greater scrutiny and finding greater enjoyment in such things as the road's rhythms (usually defined by the topography, and definitely noticeable when man-made sections are used as connectors).

I wrote once (about 8 years ago), in describing CA-58 that the road snakes between the overlaps of opposing hills and rises and falls with their breathing. That perception, back then, was way ahead of its time (for me) and helps explain my passion for that road. But today, I notice these things about most of the twisties I ride. And it provides a different type of pleasure and satisfaction.

Always puke on the lee side of the boat... eek.gif

Relax, a little levity never hurt anyone... at least not that much. smirk.gif

AdventurePoser
The lesson many of us never learn....SLOW DOWN...Not necessarily highway speed but the tempo of the trip....Miss many important opportunities, not just for pictures, but interesting sites and events by looking too far ahead........As an example,wish we would have taken more time in Banff, gone to Jasper, etc. last summer....

The goal IS the ride not the destination...

(Wonder if I really listened to myself?)

Phil.........Redbrick

I agree completely, Phil! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Steve in So Cal

When sleeping in that sleezy Motel you found way too late the previous night, never sleep between the sheets. Lay on top of them with your sleeping bag spread out underneath you. Yikes!

Archived