IGNORED

Ryan wants to buy a Honda S2000

randy

Looks like Ryan is going to college for at least the next 2 years. As of now, he feels he cannot afford the Duc and a car. He feels he needs the car for books, tools (he is going to diesel mechanic school). He stills wants something sporty.

so he is thinking about a 2003 or 2004 Honda S2000

All information you can provide so we can know what to look for, would be appreciated.

yea I read that thread, it is 90% about the miata. I recommended the miata to Ryan, but he wants the s2000. hence this thread, thanks

I was a Porsche club driving instructor for a number of years and have instructed with a other clubs as well. I've driven a student's S2000 at Pocono, and as nice as the "numbers" are on the S2000, I think it may prove to be tedious as a street car over time. The car has almost no torque at low revs and little even at mid-revs. The relatively high HP numbers of the 2000 are what "sells" the car, but they only appear way up on the rev range.

The car handles well, and is no doubt a fun drive. IMO it looks nice, but he may find better choices. It's a blast to redline the car around, but it gets tiring really quick. If he intends to track the car I'd give it a few bonus points, because that's where you can appreciate the high strung nature of it, and probably the only place where you can really see what the car can do safely.

There are few more subjective areas than buying a car, so your son has to get what he likes. If he loves it, terrific. He'll be happy. Just be certain that he drives it for a decent amount of time in real world conditions before buying one. The specs don't transfer to real world driving on this one in my opinion.

Archived