IGNORED

Earthquake

Bud

Joe Frickin' Friday

Here in AA we're about 350 miles from the epicenter. Early this morning I was half-awake and thought I felt the bed wiggling back and forth, but I wasn't quite sure. I don't remember what time it was (quake was at 5:36 Eastern time), but at this point I'm fairly certain that what I was feeling was in fact real.

If a truly large quake hits around there in the future, it's gonna be ugly, since nothing in this region is constructed to any kind of earthquake standards... ooo.gif

MrHondamatic

I was in the shower and heard the bathroom door rattling, but never felt anything. Good thind too, or I would have probably busted my @ss. Later I spoke with someone who lives in a mobil home nearby, he thought it was being hauled off. lmao.gif

It looks like it was the Wabash Seismic Zone since the epicenter was near Olney, Illinois. (Magnitude 5.2) You are close enough to both that one and the New Madrid Zone to get zapped by either. The New Madrid Earthquake of 1812 was "one of the largest earthquakes ever recorded in the contiguous United States." Saint Louis was just a small rural village at the time. A really big one today, like the aformentioned, could be bad for Saint Louis. "New forecasts estimate a 7 to 10 percent chance, in the next 50 years, of a repeat of a major earthquake like those that occurred in 1811-1812, which likely had magnitudes of between 7.5 and 8.0. There is a 25 to 40 percent chance, in a 50-year time span, of a magnitude 6.0 or greater earthquake."

Whew.

There was one from New Madrid around 1990 (?) that was felt as far away as Detroit. I felt it in Evanston Illinois. The one in 1812 was felt as far away as Boston.

Jerry_75_Guy

It woke my wife and I up; shook the house pretty good !

We were in a higher (~15 floors, and we were about half way up, so we felt the 'wiggle' a bit more) hotel in Tacoma several years ago and a 6.0 woke us up, and from that I was assuming this one was a bit over 5.0

too old to care

I was awake when it hit. Thought a bad storm had blown in. About 45 minutes ago (10 AM or so) we had a small aftershock.

I was just going to say they can all move out West now; no reason to put up with cold weather AND earthquakes! Here, we just have the quakes! grin.gif

Les is more

Nah! Those of us living around the San Andreas Fault have it easy. Besides we acknowledge that earthquakes are part of our reality. The New Madrid is something else. You folks out there might be getting your feet wet long before we fall off into the Pacific.

Time for some retrofits?

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Yeah, what a bunch of rookie amateurs grin.gif

Heck, our earthquakes hardly get a mention in the evening news until they get to 6.5!

ShovelStrokeEd

There was a novel a couple of years ago about the effects of a major quake at what I think was the New Madrid fault.

Trust me, it would make Katrina look like a tea party. Depending on what happens to the Mississippi, the country could literally be cut in half. There are a whole bunch of other major rivers in and around the area as well. Ohio, Tennessee, Missouri, Clinch, all part of the feeder system for the mighty Mississippi. Many large population centers with zero earthquake proof construction.

My apologies to folks who have suffered in the rumbles of a quake.

I was laying in bed on the 17th floor loving every amazing moment of the subtle knowledge that "This IS coming from the earth" It was gratifying when the news came out and confirmed my beliefs. I liked being involved with the planet and feeling nature in a way I never had before.

At my age you just never know for sure. There is always that inner voice saying "It's just menopause Woman!"

My apologies to folks who have suffered in the rumbles of a quake.

I was laying in bed on the 17th floor loving every amazing moment of the subtle knowledge that "This IS coming from the earth" It was gratifying when the news came out and confirmed my beliefs. I liked being involved with the planet and feeling nature in a way I never had before.

At my age you just never know for sure. There is always that inner voice saying "It's just menopause Woman!"

lmao.gif

That gave me a good laugh.

Unfortunately for me, Nurse Nancy was in Denver so my bed shaking gave me no pleasure. wave.gif

Archived