IGNORED

Anyone own a C5?

AdventurePoser

Dennis Andress

I worked on the A model many years ago.

c5a-2.jpg

We called them FRED for Frickn' Ridiculous Economic Disaster.

Maybe that fits.....

AdventurePoser
I worked on the A model many years ago.

c5a-2.jpg

We called them FRED for Frickn' Ridiculous Economic Disaster.

I was thinking more along these lines... grin.gif

Chevrolet-Corvette-62103.jpg

Steve

Thinking about buying a late model Vette. Anyone own one and want to share opinions?

Steve in So Cal

Sure... What do you want to know?

240294029_9jmyy-M.jpg

- HUD Awesome!

- More comfortable and practical than the Viper

- Less power/thrust than Viper

- Forget trunk on the convertible

- Always fun to have someone find the convertible tonneau button

- A/C was weak

- Typical GM build (plastic...plastic...plastic)

What else?

Mike O

I have a friend with one - an 04 I think. He is very happy overall with his.

The good -

great bang for the buck.

great looking.

very fast and great handling beyond anything remotely close to legal.

reliable and pretty well built.

very comfortable, good ergos

The bad -

lots of plastic.

cheap looking interior.

Service requires dealing with Chevrolet service.

Power headlight mechanism prone to failure (replaced under warranty twice in 2 years).

Even though much better than earlier Corvettes, still get a lot of heat at the console.

Gas guzzler.

Overall a really nice car - go for it!!

I thought Corvettes were cars for guys who ... um ... are compensating for something....
And I thought that was the R1200GS. No?

Mike O

Hey Steve,

I raced the '94 and '95 for 2 years. Very familiar with the hardtop/know nothing about the converts. Shoot me a pm with ?'s. wave.gif

I thought Corvettes were cars for guys who ... um ... are compensating for something....
And I thought that was the R1200GS. No?

No. That would be the GSA. grin.gif

Paul_Burkett

Actually I think is for the person who is done raising the family, done paying for for schooling and done paying the mortgage and now there is MONEY FOR TOYS. All of the money that went into taking care of every one else is now there for fun stuff. Now when mama says, Steven, go out side and play, but be home before supper, Steven can play...big time.

There is a time for driving the "practical family car" and buying the less expensive fancy shoes, because the kids need stuff first, and the kids need a car and prom dresses and this and that and it never seems to end....and then it does, and then it's time to play....again.

AdventurePoser
I thought Corvettes were cars for guys who ... um ... are compensating for something. smirk.gif Doesn't seem to be your style.

I often thought that myself...still, J and I have owned a couple of Mustang Cobras and we really like sports cars. The Corvette offers a lot of bang for the sports car buck.

Yeah, wildly implausible, but just once, maybe??

Steve

ps-the bucket seats fit Willy quite nicely. thumbsup.gif

I had two C5s

1997 Red

1998 Indy Pace car.

98-vette.jpg

What ya wanna know????

25 mpg on the highway and the most amazing vehicle in the world.

Handles like it was on rails and never had a problem with either one.

Whip

I sat in one after taking the factory tour in Bowling Green. even my fat ass was comfortable sitting in it.

Getting in and out was a chore, I would have to forgo the kilt. Or start excercising.

easier to not buy the kilt.

If you ever take the tour of the factory, they pick a member of each tour group to start a vette while still on the assembly line. Very cool.

I wasnt it that time. frown.gif

I bought my '00 last fall, and I'm loving it.

Torch Red, tan interior, A4, HUD, sports seats, dual climate. Upgraded wheels, some chrome bits. Low mileage.

It's a hoot to drive, I drove it home from LA and got better than 28 MPG, and I was playing with it every chance. 100 MPH comes up very fast. Like in the time it takes to pass a semi. Yeeha!

Corvette forum is a great site, very big and overflowing with info. I spend a lot of time there.

It's an interesting mix of performance and value. Great bang for the buck.

Did I say I'm loving mine? Entered an auto-cross on the weekend and had a ball.

This is going to interfere with RT riding. frown.gif

Firefight911

Had a C-4. Triple black convertible 6-speed. Most fun car I ever hated.

Cowl shake was horrid. Power was intoxicating. Handling was great until pressed in rough corners where she would skip a bit from the added flex from being a convertible.

Loved it!!!! Had several issues with the convertible top but had an extended warranty that took care of it no problem. They replaced the whole assembly twice.

I don't think you can go wrong. I have a very good friend up here who lives, eats, and breathes C-5 corvettes. He's a Corvette, Memebrs Only jacket wearing, died in the wool, club member, Chevy fan. If you like, I can put you in touch with him. Great guy!

He's a Corvette, Memebrs Only jacket wearing, died in the wool, club member, Chevy fan. If you like, I can put you in touch with him. Great guy!

Good God!!! You mean there's more like you out there? eek.giftongue.gifdopeslap.gif

Firefight911
Good God!!! You mean there's more like you out there? eek.giftongue.gifdopeslap.gif

I'm more of a FORD guy thank you very much!!

However, I DO own a Member's Only jacket, compliments of another buffoon on this site. I won't mention your name though, OK! Matt, Bakerzdosen, are you out there? See I told you I wouldn't tell anyone that you shop for Member's Only gear and just had to share!! lmao.giftongue.giflmao.gif

Danny, go back to work!!! You can't afford to lose your day job! cool.gifcool.gif

AdventurePoser

I'm more of a FORD guy thank you very much!!

I'm trying to demonstrate equality here...this was my last muscle car, only in black:

31872r.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

Firefight911
If the shoe fits...

philmo.jpg

How could I not bust that out?

Ahhh, the Member's Only afficionado/supplier has finally chimed in!!

I keep hearing our friend from Star Trek, The Movie, you know the one, Ricardo Montabaln (sp) (our favorite cordoba leather, Fantasy Island, guy) - "Revenge is a dish best served cold."

You just wait!!!!! smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

I had a 99 coupe, and an 01 convertible. Both 6-speeds, both pretty well loaded, HUD, mag wheels, etc.

The 99 was a fantastic car. Never a problem with it until I hit a dog. That car was never the same after that.

I went through various other cars before I bought the 01 convertibile. Me and a friend both bought 01 vette's at the same time. Both cars had tranny problems and both cars were sold within 2 months of ownership. Fit and finish on the 01 was no where near the quality of my 99.

The only difference ... I special ordered my 99 coupe to my specs. The 01 I bought off a showroom floor.

And unlike Whip's lead foot, I routinely got +31mph on the interstate running form Dallas to San Antonio in the 99, cruise set on 85. smile.gif

AdventurePoser

Many thanks for all the replies...I am toying with buying an '04, which I believe was the last C5 model. I've heard good reports, and the car is within my budget.

So, we'll see!

Thanks again!

Steve

Lone_RT_rider

You know, I love Mustangs and used to have this Gem....

48638582_TupPy-L.jpg

But, that being said... When I used to run around in that thing I also had two friends that had C4's. And, every weekend they used to completely leave me standing. I always wanted one of those back then and didn't have the means. I say go for it, the Vette is a great car. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Shawn

Archived