IGNORED

do I need head gaskets?

Uncle Beemer

Uncle Beemer

This may sound like a dumb question for you guys who are mechanically savvy about BMW bikes,so please bear with me. I'm in the process of getting my parts together for a 24 k service on my 1150 RT, I'm looking at Beeberboneyard for the parts, they list a complete 2 spark oilhead maintenance kit with 3 filters, 4 plugs, crush washers and 3 rubber seals. But, no head gaskets. I am assuming that the head gaskets do not need to be replaced. Right or wrong?

Joe Frickin' Friday

For a standard 6K/12K service (even for your 24K service, which includes a few extra items), you do not need to remove the heads or replace the head gaskets. You will have to remove the valve covers to inspect/adjust the valve clearances, but you should not need to replace the valve cover gaskets unless you damage them somehow.

By head gasket I assume you mean valve cover gasket. These last a long time and do not need to be replaced at every service interval, maybe even not at all. If they're not leaking, they're good.

ArthurKnowles

I didn't need to replace mine on my RT, but since I did not know the current state of the gaskets I bought a set anyway and replaced them during my valve adjust. Seems like if you buy them you will not need them, but if you don't then you will. smile.gif

Do keep in mind two things...

1) Clean the gaskets and metal surfaces completely of all oil residue before you reinstall the gaskets. That's to assure a good seal and no leaks.

2) Rotate the spark plug gasket and install it on the valve cover. Then put the valve cover on. That's to prevent pinching the gasket and starting another leak.

Good luck with your valve adjustment. I found mine to be quite easy and it made a big difference in the performance/smoothness of the motorcycle.

Archived