IGNORED

Best Buy Credit for HD DVD

motoguy128

So I'm one of the idiots that didn't want ot pay an extra $100 for Blue Ray and got a Toshiba HD DVD player 6 months ago. I thought, well, this won't be decided for a few years anyway, but then I'll be ready for a new model. WRONG. HD format is basically going obsolete fast. Toshiba backed out of it, and all the major studios have well.

Best Buy send me a $50 gift card and tells ot that I can trade-in my HD DVD player and DVD's on their trad-in webiste.

So I check it out. I have 1 6 month old excellent condition HD DVD player (paid $300 for it)... and 9 HD DVD's ($150) worth. They offered my $41.30 on trade. WTF!!! eek.gif Basically they are offering 10 cents on the dollar for it. Total BS. I fatally listened to their sales person at the time and helped convince myself HD format would be around for a while. To make matters worse, I'm still waiting for the 5 free DVD's Toshiba was supposed to give us. We mailed than in almost 4 months ago.

So now I have an overpriced upconvert DVD player than can play a few HD DVD's. I guess I can stock-up on HD formats now that they'll be on sale.

Needless to say, Best Buy is on my S*** List. The first LCD I brought home had several burnt out LED's leaving black lines across the screen. I had to take that back. Then they sold me a wall mount that won't fit my TV. I had to take that back. and schedule a 2nd installation attempt. Then one of the HDMI cables was bad... that their installer bent too tightly during install. Finally we were buying a $500 digital camera around christmas time and the CC company had turned off our card due to suspiscious activity (too many purchases in a short time frame). They made us feel like dead beats that were out of money.

Recently they had a fire at our local store and were closed for 3 months. Probably a bone headed employee plugging too many things together.

Which is why you should never be an early adopter of an unestablished format. All you can do at this point is chalk it up to one of life's lessons.

Lets_Play_Two

"So I'm one of the idiots that didn't want ot pay an extra $100 for Blue Ray"

So now you are mad at Best Buy because they won't bail you out? grin.gif

I'm not a big fan of Best Buy, but it seems like a pretty reasonable offer to me. Any time you roll the dice on a new format, you're . . . well . . . rolling the dice.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I bought a Play Station 3 (built in BluRay Palyer) so that if the format lost, the kids would atleast be able to play games when they came over. Well, I got lucky with the format, but it does not help the fact that I will soon have, "Star Trek-The Movie" in three formats, VHS, DVD, and BluRay. smile.gif

Well, I got lucky with the format, but it does not help the fact that I will soon have, "Star Trek-The Movie" in three formats, VHS, DVD, and BluRay.

That's definitely more for your therapist, for sure.

HairyCannonball
So I'm one of the idiots that didn't want ot pay an extra $100 for Blue Ray and got a Toshiba HD DVD player 6 months ago. I thought, well, this won't be decided for a few years anyway, but then I'll be ready for a new model. WRONG. HD format is basically going obsolete fast. Toshiba backed out of it, and all the major studios have well.

Best Buy send me a $50 gift card and tells ot that I can trade-in my HD DVD player and DVD's on their trad-in webiste.

So I check it out. I have 1 6 month old excellent condition HD DVD player (paid $300 for it)... and 9 HD DVD's ($150) worth. They offered my $41.30 on trade. WTF!!! eek.gif Basically they are offering 10 cents on the dollar for it. Total BS. I fatally listened to their sales person at the time and helped convince myself HD format would be around for a while. To make matters worse, I'm still waiting for the 5 free DVD's Toshiba was supposed to give us. We mailed than in almost 4 months ago.

So now I have an overpriced upconvert DVD player than can play a few HD DVD's. I guess I can stock-up on HD formats now that they'll be on sale.

Needless to say, Best Buy is on my S*** List. The first LCD I brought home had several burnt out LED's leaving black lines across the screen. I had to take that back. Then they sold me a wall mount that won't fit my TV. I had to take that back. and schedule a 2nd installation attempt. Then one of the HDMI cables was bad... that their installer bent too tightly during install. Finally we were buying a $500 digital camera around christmas time and the CC company had turned off our card due to suspiscious activity (too many purchases in a short time frame). They made us feel like dead beats that were out of money.

Recently they had a fire at our local store and were closed for 3 months. Probably a bone headed employee plugging too many things together.

Best Buy is on your sh!t list because you made the wrong decision? Wow. And they are even offering to pay for part of your mistake? Double Wow. Or is that Wowwow. wink.gif

Sorry Bro, suck it up and go buy a Blu-ray player. It's not like it is a life changing amount of money anyway.

As far as Best Buy goes, it is a discount store staffed with a bunch of hourly help with no interest in the product they are selling. If you want good service and knowledgeable sales help go to your local high end AV store, buy good equipment not the bargain basement crap BB sells, pay a little more up front but get better value in the long run.

JMHO.

I bought a Play Station 3 (built in BluRay Palyer) so that if the format lost, the kids would atleast be able to play games when they came over. Well, I got lucky with the format, but it does not help the fact that I will soon have, "Star Trek-The Movie" in three formats, VHS, DVD, and BluRay. smile.gif

Never bought Star Trek, but I have 2 copies of the special combo pk in VHS formats [one of the tapes broke inside my Dad's VCR] and another special set in the DVD format of the first three Star Wars movies dopeslap.gif

Can't remember the last time I watched them tongue.gif

Best Buy is on your sh!t list because you made the wrong decision? Wow. And they are even offering to pay for part of your mistake? Double Wow. Or is that Wowwow.
+1

After all, they didn't have to do [/i]anything.[/i] It's a free market after all.

"So I'm one of the idiots that didn't want ot pay an extra $100 for Blue Ray"

So now you are mad at Best Buy because they won't bail you out? grin.gif

I'm a little annoyed because at the time they pushed the HD format because they had a pallet load of new Toshiba A3's to sell and would say anything to move them. I specifically asked if the HD format would be out for a while and they said yes, it could still go either way. Basically their lips were moving, so lie ka used car salesmen, they were full of sh** and it's my fault for listening to them.

I guess the only point I have is that the 10% trade-in value is worthless... why even offer it. If anything, that's what they should give me on top of the $50 gift card without trading it in. If the gift card was $100 (the cost difference of HD to Blue Ray at the time) now we're talking a fair trade.

Ultimately, I know I'm SOL. The HDTV experience has been a hassle for us from the start to be honest. We waited 3 months on the cable compacy to get us a HD tuner before giving up and switching to satellite. Got a HDDVR installed 2 days later. I'd still be on that waiting list now if I hadn't switched.

If you want good service and knowledgeable sales help go to your local high end AV store, buy good equipment not the bargain basement crap BB sells, pay a little more up front but get better value in the long run.

JMHO.

We don't have any that I know if. We're too far away from civilization in Kee'Kuck I'wah. It's the price we pay for having no traffic, short commutes, and a low cost of living.

I'll just wait and buy at $300 on a 1080p blue ray player. The HD palyer I have is only 1080i, so there's at least a positive... can upgrade too.

Joe Frickin' Friday

So I check it out. I have 1 6 month old excellent condition HD DVD player (paid $300 for it)... and 9 HD DVD's ($150) worth. They offered my $41.30 on trade. WTF!!! eek.gif Basically they are offering 10 cents on the dollar for it.

Was this in conjunction with the $50 gift card? Check my math, but that adds up to about $91, closer to 20 cents on the dollar.

Which to me, sounds like a good deal. You may have paid $300 for your player, but although it's still in mint condition, it definitely is not worth anywhere near $300 anymore. if it was, you woulda sold it on Craigslist.

And even if it was worth more, why do you feel Best Buy is obligated to give you anything? The player is worth nothing to them, and they're not the ones who screwed you over; if anyone can be held responsible at all, it would be Toshiba.

To make matters worse, I'm still waiting for the 5 free DVD's Toshiba was supposed to give us. We mailed than in almost 4 months ago.

confused.gif This is somehow Best Buy's fault?

Needless to say, Best Buy is on my S*** List. The first LCD I brought home had several burnt out LED's leaving black lines across the screen. I had to take that back.

confused.gif How is that Best Buy's fault?

Then they sold me a wall mount that won't fit my TV. I had to take that back. and schedule a 2nd installation attempt. Then one of the HDMI cables was bad... that their installer bent too tightly during install.

OK, one doofus installer and one ill-informed sales clerk. I'd be curious to hear a wider survey of Best Buy customer experiences, and see how they stack up against other big box stores.

Finally we were buying a $500 digital camera around christmas time and the CC company had turned off our card due to suspiscious activity (too many purchases in a short time frame). They made us feel like dead beats that were out of money.

Was this a Best Buy credit card?

So I check it out. I have 1 6 month old excellent condition HD DVD player (paid $300 for it)... and 9 HD DVD's ($150) worth. They offered my $41.30 on trade. WTF!!! eek.gif Basically they are offering 10 cents on the dollar for it.

Was this in conjunction with the $50 gift card? Check my math, but that adds up to about $91, closer to 20 cents on the dollar.

Which to me, sounds like a good deal. You may have paid $300 for your player, but although it's still in mint condition, it definitely is not worth anywhere near $300 anymore. if it was, you woulda sold it on Craigslist.

And even if it was worth more, why do you feel Best Buy is obligated to give you anything? The player is worth nothing to them, and they're not the ones who screwed you over; if anyone can be held responsible at all, it would be Toshiba.

To make matters worse, I'm still waiting for the 5 free DVD's Toshiba was supposed to give us. We mailed than in almost 4 months ago.

confused.gif This is somehow Best Buy's fault?

Needless to say, Best Buy is on my S*** List. The first LCD I brought home had several burnt out LED's leaving black lines across the screen. I had to take that back.

confused.gif How is that Best Buy's fault?

Then they sold me a wall mount that won't fit my TV. I had to take that back. and schedule a 2nd installation attempt. Then one of the HDMI cables was bad... that their installer bent too tightly during install.

OK, one doofus installer and one ill-informed sales clerk. I'd be curious to hear a wider survey of Best Buy customer experiences, and see how they stack up against other big box stores.

Finally we were buying a $500 digital camera around christmas time and the CC company had turned off our card due to suspiscious activity (too many purchases in a short time frame). They made us feel like dead beats that were out of money.

Was this a Best Buy credit card?

No it was our own credit card. We've never had a problem with that card before or since.. heck we racked up 3 times as many purchases on a week long vacation in Hawaii and it wasn't shut off. It it wasn't a big deal, except the way we were treated.

I'm pretty confident that Toshiba is kicking in most if not all of the cost of that $50 gift card. 20% would be fine If I got to keep the palyer and movies. Otherwise unless we're talking closer to "cost" (about 50% off) I don't think it's a very good deal.

I think the $50 gift card is their attempt to avoid a class action lawsuit.

Joe Frickin' Friday
No it was our own credit card. We've never had a problem with that card before or since.. heck we racked up 3 times as many purchases on a week long vacation in Hawaii and it wasn't shut off. It it wasn't a big deal, except the way we were treated.

Maybe it was the nature of the purchases (i.e. a lot of electronics purchases) that triggered the CC company's suspicion?

In any event, I gather your grip was about the way Best Buy's staff treated you after finding that your CC had been deactivated?

I'm pretty confident that Toshiba is kicking in most if not all of the cost of that $50 gift card. 20% would be fine If I got to keep the palyer and movies. Otherwise unless we're talking closer to "cost" (about 50% off) I don't think it's a very good deal.

I think the $50 gift card is their attempt to avoid a class action lawsuit.

confused.gif Over what? Giving up too soon in the HDDVD/Blue-Ray format war?

Apart from honoring any expressed warranty, what is it you feel you are owed by Toshiba and/or Best Buy?

confused.gif Over what? Giving up too soon in the HDDVD/Blue-Ray format war?
I think that ending the format war was in the best interest of consumers, retailers and Toshiba. I am sure that the vast majority of consumers were awaiting resolution of the "war" before buying, and Toshiba's sales were poor. They must have decided that they could make more money sooner by paying license fees to produce Blu-Ray machines. Blu-Ray player prices are going to drop a long way by Christmas as production increases to meet consumer demand.

Unless downloaded high-def tv does to the Blu-Ray medium what Napster, i-Tunes and i-Pods did to the audio CD.

I am still holding out.

Sorry for joining the "Let's kick Mike" bandwagon. I don't understand why he would have jumped one way or the other when $30 DVD players were available and they provide an acceptable image on an HD TV.

HairyCannonball

We don't have any that I know if. We're too far away from civilization in Kee'Kuck I'wah. It's the price we pay for having no traffic, short commutes, and a low cost of living.

I'll just wait and buy at $300 on a 1080p blue ray player. The HD palyer I have is only 1080i, so there's at least a positive... can upgrade too.

The famous Arkansas club had the Sony BDPS301 for $288 shortly after xmas. I am unaware of the current price, perhaps even lower. Do be aware that several of the stand alone BR players have been having problems with very slow load and menu access times, the BDPS300/301 included. That said I bought one, and for the price I am satisfied. I know this goes against my rec to go to a high end A/V store, but for this I wasn't looking for any knowledge or service. I knew what I wanted, I knew the BDPS300/301 had menu and loading time issues but at that price it didn't require a lot of thought.

I am not a huge fan of Best Buy either and I can relate to your frustration. IMO the prices are high and the sales staff have little real knowledge of the product they are selling. I can deal with the warehouse clubs, they don't pretend to know anything about the product and offer a price and return policy commensurate with this. I can deal with high end electronics stores because the sales staff generally have a pretty good idea about and interest in the product they are selling. Ultimately though, I don't think Best Buy is responsible for bailing out those that chose HD DVD, and any offer they make to minimize your cost I think is welcome. It was anyone’s guess at the time which way this format war would turn out and folks on each side had valid arguments as to why their format would win.

This whole Hi Def adoption has been frustrating for the consumer and is, I think, an example of how not to introduce new technology. Multiple formats, multiple standards, multiple interfaces, the movie industry crying Chicken Little just like they did when VCR's were introduced only even louder this time. It is a wonder we have hi def now at all let alone years ago when it was technically possible.

HairyCannonball

Sorry for joining the "Let's kick Mike" bandwagon. I don't understand why he would have jumped one way or the other when $30 DVD players were available and they provide an acceptable image on an HD TV.

Because a $30 DVD player provides anything but acceptable image or audio quality after you have experienced better, especially on a large display. What you say is kind of like saying why spend 17 or 18 large on a R12GS when a KLR provides acceptable ride quality. Kudos to Mike for seeing the difference in quality and being an early adopter. thumbsup.gif

Like most people, I'm just venting my frustration and trying to blame someone other than myself. As usual, those around me a happily able to point this fact out.

I also am a little slow to accept the reality of most people that own DVD's... I don't frequently watch movies I've seen before unless they are "classics".

I did buy the remastered HD version of "Top Gun". That was probably worth it. I had to rewind good old Tom on his Ninja revving the throttle... riding on a trailer along the airstrip.

I guess I'll just wait a month or so for all the HD formats ot go on sale and take my $50 to buy what I can before they're gone.

Because a $30 DVD player provides anything but acceptable image or audio quality after you have experienced better, especially on a large display. What you say is kind of like saying why spend 17 or 18 large on a R12GS when a KLR provides acceptable ride quality. Kudos to Mike for seeing the difference in quality and being an early adopter. thumbsup.gif
The comparison of a $30 DVD player and a multi-thousand-dollar KLR does not hold for a bunch of reasons. Anyway, people as price-sensitive as Mike seems to be are ill-suited to be early adopters. On the other hand, Mike, you are plainly learning some lessons.

You trusted best buy for advice. They failed you.

I agree, they suck, but I knew that already. smile.gif

If I went to a high end shop and trusted their opinion, and their opinion didn't pan out, I doubt I'd be happy with them either.

Archived