IGNORED

Air Monopoly (We Loose)

Rob_Mayes

What does everyone think about several airlines merging? I think this is going the way of the oil companies. First they all merge, then the prices go up, and we get screwed, while the industry executes get millions each year. In addition the goverment will come up with something to protect them and keep competion limited.

AirMonopoly.jpg

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Go the way of Ed or Marty, where they ride everywhere they want to go. I think there will always be the Southwest, Alaska or Virgin airlines, etc, etc. If a few biggies merge or go under completely, no big deal to me.

I guess your position depends on if you use air travel for business or pleasure. If it's for business, who is picking up the tab?

If it's for business, who is picking up the tab?
The customers of the companies who are buying the tickets, just like rising gas prices rising ticket prices will feed back to all of us directly and indirectly.
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
If it's for business, who is picking up the tab?
The customers of the companies who are buying the tickets, just like rising gas prices rising ticket prices will feed back to all of us directly and indirectly.
Agreed, but if it's directly coming out of your pocket and you can't expense it, it makes it harder to take those flights.

I saw the two executive of the mentioned airlines this morning on CNN the told us the consumer would benefit form the merger. CNN did not ask would the booking prices go up since the market place would have one less large carrier competing. CNN also mentioned that United and Continental are considering a like merger. I wonder who else will jump on the bandwagon (I you can't compete-merge with your competition).

AirlineMiles.jpg

This chart will be changing soon, I guess about 3 or 4 less lines (companies).

"CNN did not ask would the booking prices go up since the market place would have one less large carrier competing"

Yeah, as if the answer would be anything other than 'no, we will keep the fares low, and service high, and all the fllight attendants will be friendly and attractive'. Sort of like "Eli, how good does it feel to win the Super Bowl?"

Lets_Play_Two
What does everyone think about several airlines merging? I think this is going the way of the oil companies. First they all merge, then the prices go up, and we get screwed, while the industry executes get millions each year. In addition the goverment will come up with something to protect them and keep competion limited.

AirMonopoly.jpg

We have had low air fares because of a lot of competition. The combination of low fares and competition has caused fall out and we will probably end up with fewer airlines...just like the rest of the world...and we will pay the price the market sets...yes they will probably be higher. The tiresome argument about salaries of execs. will have nothing to do with survival of any given airline. Of course if you want low (subsidized) air fares then you can't complain when it comes time to pay the subsidy (ie. bailing out a failed airline so we can continue to have "fake" competition.) grin.gif

Yeah, and if there's so much profit in running an airline, maybe someone ought to tell that to all the startups that have failed. grin.gif

The price of air travel is the same today as when I was a little kid, 40 years ago. The airlines have done a great job of improving efficiency, keeping flying safe, and affordable (often at employee's expense). But airline's costs are rising, and particularly fuel costs are rising. We have not been paying the full cost of flying for the last ten years, and carriers are going belly-up. If the vendor can not recoup his costs due to price competition, I would argue, therefore, that there is too much competition. Maybe it's time for us to start paying more. Really, it's getting to be ridiculously cheap. So perhaps this market will sort itself out by consolidation. Some might be good. Too much, and I agree that's a problem.

I would like to see healthy airlines that can provide stable services, and a degree of comfort for flights of over two hours.

Jan

Really, it's getting to be ridiculously cheap.

I have to travel from Leicester to Edinburgh for work a couple of times a year. I have the choice of driving, taking the train or flying.

Driving would cost about £100 total and take a day in each direction. The train is between £90 and £150, depending on when booked and take a half-day in each direction. Last trip, the flight cost £40 return, half of which was tax and took 3 hours each way, including check-in time.

Andy

and a degree of comfort for flights of over two hours.

Don't they do that? It just costs more. United even has that "economy plus" setup with more legroom. AA had more space all over the plane, but had to drop that.

Archived