IGNORED

Stripped screw..???

Fightingpiper

Fightingpiper

I was putting the right side tupperware back on my 1200rt and relized I didn't put the glove box cover on but put the screws in. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif I tried to remove the lid screws and one of them is stripped and I can't get it out. Am I going to have to drill it out? If I have to drill it out what am I going to have to do fix it?

Thanks a buch...

Fightingpiper

I'm gonna have to drill it out because the threads are stripped and not the head so I can't back it out.

ArthurKnowles
I'm gonna have to drill it out because the threads are stripped and not the head so I can't back it out.

If the threads are stripped, you can try this trick to see if it works ...

Take a power screwdriver with a 3mm hex head (or phillips if needed) and set it to reverse to pull the screw out. While it is turning and going nowhere provide a bit of upward force with a small flattip screw driver or just a bit of side to side leverage to get it to start to back out. I've removed many stripped screws this way (so long as it is the screw and not the mounting hole).

An extractor can also work as it can provide upward force while it is reversing the screw.

Fightingpiper

If the threads are stripped, you can try this trick to see if it works ...

Take a power screwdriver with a 3mm hex head (or phillips if needed) and set it to reverse to pull the screw out. While it is turning and going nowhere provide a bit of upward force with a small flattip screw driver or just a bit of side to side leverage to get it to start to back out. I've removed many stripped screws this way (so long as it is the screw and not the mounting hole).

An extractor can also work as it can provide upward force while it is reversing the screw.

I tried that also last night to no avail....... Even tried to get a vise grips on it to be able to pull on it as I tried to back it out but that didn't work either.

This sometimes works for me: Take a #T20 Torx socket, which is slightly larger than a 3m. Try to line up the points of the star with the points/intersections of the flats on the hex. Take something like a soft mallet and lightly tap the socket so it broaches it's way into the screw head. (the Torx bit is hardened and the screw head is soft) If it does, you can attach your choice of driver and remove. If it doesn't go in, try drilling the hole slightly larger, but still smaller that the Torx bit.

I think his issue is the threads on the speed nut, or maybe the tupperware is stripped, not the screw...nor the head of the screw.

Apparently, if I understand his post, he can turn the screw but it does not back out....

Fightingpiper
I think his issue is the threads on the speed nut, or maybe the tupperware is stripped, not the screw...nor the head of the screw.

Apparently, if I understand his post, he can turn the screw but it does not back out....

Thats exactly what happened. I got it drilled out Tapped new threads and got it all put back together this morning. Had to miss all you can eat pancakes at a coffee shop in Minneapolis. I got here a few minutes too late.... bncry.gif

Now I'm gonna have to go somewhere else for brunch.....

Thanks everyone.

Archived