IGNORED

need telescope for my wife

randy

yes we did this about 6 months ago, but I can not find the thread.

She wants to view the sky's. She is not afraid to take the gear out to country to get away from the lights.

we are thinking max 1,000.00. Once we decide I will buy used. computer control is necessary. camera hook up is desired, but not required.

quality of lens, and being able to enjoy star/planet watching is the main use for this item.

She just completed 2 years of intense study to get her Masters in special education. This is her desired graduation gift.

I bought one of the Parks models 18 years ago when they were still hovering around $2000. Gifted it to the ex hubby. Moon lit your face up so bright you could use sunglasses at night.

some Parks models

If that dang link doesn't work please just google Parks Telescopes.

dopeslap.gif some things never change and I haven't

Jerry_75_Guy

I'd think about an Orion Dobsonian 8" or 10" with computerized "push to" option; best bang for your buck . Whatever you buy, though, just remember that aperture is king: get the biggest you can afford. Zhumell has some decent scopes for reasonable prices, but I can't remember if any have "go to" or "push to" options.

For shopping purposes www.telescopes.com is a good place to start, but they are new, obviously.

Someone here turned me on to this site:

www.cloudynights.com

It's a great amateur site with lots of very knowledgeable folks willing to help, very much like this site thumbsup.gif and they do have a "classifieds" section with used equipment.

I'd go there and explore a bit first. Theres a ton of useful info there to be mined.

Check out Astronomics they have good prices and have been helpful to me in the past. For 1K I would look at the Nextstar 6. It would do most of the things you are talking about. You would probably want some additional eyepieces, but you can buy them later. I bought a Nexstar 5 from them several years ago, and have been VERY happy with it. Be aware that telescopes are kinda like motorcycles in that the cost of the accessories can add up to as much as the original purchase. She/you will need red lights, star charts, barlow lenses, multiple eyepieces, solar filters, carrying cases. I suspect my eyepiece case is worth almost as much as my telescope. Sky and Telescope magazine can be a great help also. It gives you a good idea what is up there to look at each month.

Clear Sky's

I'm sorry I can't help much; but I just wanted to add that I'm amazed at the depth and scope of knowledge and experience at this site. clap.gif

TELESCOPE Celestron C8-NGT and accessories

Telescope is slightly over a year old, like new.

GPS tracking

OPTICAL DESIGN Reflector

APERTURE 203.2 mm (8 in)

FOCAL LENGTH 1000 mm (39.37 in)

FOCAL RATIO 4.92

FINDERSCOPE 9x50

MOUNT CG-5 Equatorial

Also will include Eyepiece Accessory Kit along with GPS Accessory Kit Shown (shown).

They are asking 700.00 pickup only. I like this unit, does anyone here have any experience/feedback they can give me.

Jerry_75_Guy
TELESCOPE Celestron C8-NGT and accessories

Telescope is slightly over a year old, like new.

GPS tracking

OPTICAL DESIGN Reflector

APERTURE 203.2 mm (8 in)

FOCAL LENGTH 1000 mm (39.37 in)

FOCAL RATIO 4.92

FINDERSCOPE 9x50

MOUNT CG-5 Equatorial

Also will include Eyepiece Accessory Kit along with GPS Accessory Kit Shown (shown).

They are asking 700.00 pickup only. I like this unit, does anyone here have any experience/feedback they can give me.

Once again, I can't provide any advice based upon first hand experience with that particular scope, but, since I do own the the 'little brother' to that scope (a Celectron AstroMaster 130 EQ), I think you'll be satisfied with this choice.

The CG-5 is a good, respectable mount, and a Newtonian with a 8" aperture is better than average, so that is certainly in your favor.

The price ($700), assuming it is, as you say, 'like new', is a very good price; ~$300 savings off of a new unit (but I'm sure you've already seen that for yourself).

I'm still a big fan of the large aperture ( 8" or more ) Dobsonians with "push to" computer guidance, but once you've got this set up, it will be really nice to just let the motors do the tracking, instead of constantly nudging the scope to keep the target centered.

I don't know what eyepieces will come with the scope, but a 4mm, ~7mm, ~20mm, and a 32mm set should keep your SO very busy. I'd also recommend a 'moon filter' (very useful), a sunfilter (less often used, but still very fun: we're currently just past 'solar minimum', so not too many sun spots, but that activity will begin increasing over the next few years), and a "Telrad".

The Telrad is a 1X mag. sighting device with concentric rings to help better align the scope with 'naked eye' visiable objects. It's not as useful in light polluted suburbs, and the computerized "go to" feature of your scope probably obviates it's utility, but it can still be very handy.

If you don't already have one, get a good planisphere, and a good field chart; I like Sky & Telescope's "Pocket Sky Atlas": it's is very user friendly and portable. Beyond that, there are Many farkles to be had, so 'shop' at your own risk thumbsup.gif

Oh!, and don't forget the binoculars; having a good set (HUGE Zhumells [20x80] can be had new for cheap, and perform very well) can really help, and work well when used in tandum with a good scope. And an observing chair/stool; this is worth it's weight in gold as leaning awkwardly over the eyepiece for 45min to multiple hrs per veiwing session can be very painful tongue.gif.

thanks Jerry, after some research, and realizing my wife will be the scope around, home, school, to a friends farm way out in the country, I think we need to look at the sealed and simpler units. I am going to be focusing on a Mead or Nextstar 6" or 8" unit. I think those will work better for the wife's anticipated usage.

Jerry_75_Guy

Yes, the Schmidt-Cassegrain scopes with Nexstar are more portable and easier to use than a regular old Newtonian with a motorized GEM.

If $$ wasn't so much an issue for me, it's likely that I'd have one also, but then you will pay a premium for the advantage of the shorter optical tube assy. of the SC scope (which, of course, is what gives it the edge portability wise) as opposed to a regular Newtonian of the same aperture and focal length

exactly, I now realize I will probably get a slight smaller size, in exchange for the convenience. I think for this purchase that is the correct decision. If she uses this and decides to invest more time and energy we can upgrade in a year or two.

Archived