IGNORED

Bottled water

Bud

Speaking of beer, I've grown to love Blue Moon on my bike travels in the U.S. I had only ever had it on tap until last summer. I had been told it was from Colorado. So when I had the bottle in hand, sure enough I see it's from Colorado -- until I turn the bottle around and discover this "Colorado" beer is actually brewed in (wait for it) Toronto.

Alas, not available in Canada.

It has always seemed absurd to me to import water from Europe. Especially bottled for individual consumption.

Even MORE absurd to buy the big name north american stuff, that is just filtered city water.

It has always seemed absurd to me to import water from Europe. Especially bottled for individual consumption.

Even MORE absurd to buy the big name north american stuff, that is just filtered city water.

Umm... Why is it more absurd to buy a locally produced absurd product vs. importing the absurd product. Especially since in most cases the imported absurd product is being shipped across the very same product...

Speaking of beer, I've grown to love Blue Moon on my bike travels in the U.S. I had only ever had it on tap until last summer. I had been told it was from Colorado. So when I had the bottle in hand, sure enough I see it's from Colorado -- until I turn the bottle around and discover this "Colorado" beer is actually brewed in (wait for it) Toronto.

Alas, not available in Canada.

During Lent, the local KC hall served all you can eat catfish, hush puppies, slaw and baked potato for $7. Then you could walk into the attached bar and buy a 16 oz draft Blue Moon for $1.25 American!

Won't tell you how many whole catfish fillets I had, but there was enough Blue Moon to wash all of them down. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Yes, imported by Coor's. I grew up in Arvada, Colorado. The train tracks from Coor's was one block from our house. Saw a lot of train cars full of beer go by.

I hadn't watched the Penn and Teller skit .

It needs subtitles as I could hardly understand what the taller of the two men was saying!

What gives with the little person giving himself some thrills on the floor with the paint???

Do you want to become the US agent for Karma Koala the breath of the gods ?

Teller, the little guy, hardly every talks. The two do a magic/comedy skit where usually Teller does something self destructive or gross...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_and_Teller

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshit!

Get past that and watch the bottled water stuff in the restaurant...

During Lent, the local KC hall served all you can eat catfish, hush puppies, slaw and baked potato for $7. Then you could walk into the attached bar and buy a 16 oz draft Blue Moon for $1.25 American!

Now I could go for that. I'll have some Blue Moon on my ride to Torrey in May. BTW, what are hush puppies (I assume they're not the shoes grin.gif)

DavidEBSmith

Teller, the little guy, hardly every talks

Actually, he never talks on stage in character so that it's audible to the audience. He stays in character so well that, when P&T show up outside the theater after the show to schmooze with the audience, as they like to do, people are often shocked when Teller talks to them.

DavidEBSmith

Even worse - the Guinness Stout that we get here in the US - the Extra Stout in the smaller bottles, not the draft in the cans or big bottles - says "Imported", but when you read the label, it turns out it's made in New Brunswick.

Not that I have anything against New Brunswick - in fact, I liked it a lot last time I was there - but it isn't Ireland. (The draft-in-cans and -in-bottles Guinness is still from Dublin).

I remember living in Memphis when Coors was finally legal east of the Mississippi River. There was a parade as the trucks came in from Arkansas.

We were all pretty excited until we realized that Coors products are like sex in a canoe... lmao.gif

Ed, you're a frustrated monarch living in a rider's body. tongue.gif

King of all I survey, at least in my own mind. grin.gif

Happens to a lot us first born. Worse, I was also the first grandchild so I got spoiled from all directions for a couple of years.

+1 Too funny lmao.gif.......it really is something you don't quite get over isn't it?

finallyabeemer

While it is fun to ridicule bottled water, it is a fact that many communities (like mine where the chlorine smell is WAY pungent) have water that smells and tastes so bad it is very difficult to drink - regardless of how safe it may be. I also found the water in my hotel rooms in Las Vegas and Pahrump to be, umm, flavorful enough that while I could swallow it straight, it was noticeably altering (and not favorably!) the flavor of my Makers Mark so I bought a bottle of cheap drinking water out of respect to the distillers!

I don't disagree. I notice the chlorine in my water and coffee. But a filter on the fridge's supply (~$40 a year) takes care of that.

What I've seen, that strikes me as quite odd, is to go to someones home and when asked "something to drink?" answering "just a glass of tap water would be great" seems to provoke a reaction that almost seems like I insulted the host. While at the same time asking for a mixed drink also seems like taboo. Beer, wine, and soda are A-OK. Strange stuff.

I am told that if you place a pitcher of tap water in a refrigerator overnight, enough of the chlorine will evaporate that you won't notice the flavour or odour. The water here is fine, so I have never tried the procedure.

I've done that for fish tank water. It's supposed to work. I'd be curious if the water picks up any funky flavors from other stuff in the fridge? For me the space in the fridge would be the other issue.

The filter I have costs ~$15/6mo. It's easy to change, more so since I added a T and valve to allow me to flush the carbon dust out without it getting up into the fridge itself. smile.gif

The filter:

http://www.geappliances.com/smartwater/dw_single.htm

We have imported Evian water in our (UK) supermarkets, bottled in France. Used to buy it occasionally, too, but then somebody pointed out that Evian is naive spelt backwards. blush.gif

Archived