IGNORED

Good hikes outside of Las Vegas?

Art..

I want to take a hike tomorrow afternoon, to escape the convention floor in Las Vegas.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 2 hours hike would be nice.

Thanks.

You could try Redrock Canyon State Park. From the strip, you can take Summerlin Parkway or just take W Charleston Blvd out to the State Park. It costs a few bucks to get in with your car--after that there is a nice information building with some bathrooms and a gift shop---and then drive around the loop and you will find several places to stop and hike all over the place.

Take some water. On the main road going in there you will find some new houses going up and a new strip mall around there with an Albertons or some such market....last place to buy water and hiking treats.

You could try Redrock Canyon State Park. From the strip, you can take Summerlin Parkway or just take W Charleston Blvd out to the State Park. It costs a few bucks to get in with your car--after that there is a nice information building with some bathrooms and a gift shop---and then drive around the loop and you will find several places to stop and hike all over the place.

Take some water. On the main road going in there you will find some new houses going up and a new strip mall around there with an Albertons or some such market....last place to buy water and hiking treats.

+1 on Red Rock. This place is amazing...doubly so, because of its proximity to The Strip. The entire area is open to hiking. You can go anywhere you like.

The circular road is a one way road and IMO, the better hikes were either right at the beginning off to the right as soon as you see the large Red Rock formation on the right. You can noodle around climbing all over the formations for hours. Or, you can head in about 1/2 - 3/4 of the way to get some nice wooded hikes along a stream and rock formations. Ditto on bringing plenty of water. Links below.

RED ROCK LINK

Red Rock Hiking link. This one is a better link. From link, scroll down to see available map.

Highly recommend Red Rock thumbsup.gif

It's a breath of fresh air from all the hustle & bustle.

I rode a bicycle to & thru it last year (in the middle of July eek.gif)

I did not stray off the road but if I had, I would have checked out the green spring fed area.

Hiked it today. We had an awesome time.

Did Calico II and Calico Tanks. All told about 4.5 miles.

Thanks a million.

Archived