IGNORED

Absolut Mexico

Rob_Mayes

I mean no disrespect to the Mexican people, but Absolut Vodka sure was stupid. This add was run in Mexico and not meant to be viewed by the USA.

AbsolutMexico.jpg[/img]

You should buy this ad poster if you get a chance. It must be a couple hundred years old looking at the boundaries. A vertual bit of history. E-bay $200.00 lmao.gif

finallyabeemer

I was thinking the same - it was just a reproduction of an old map. Before the US stole it fair and er, square.

"Vodka-Maker Absolut Apologizes for Ads

By MARK STEVENSON – 9 hours ago

MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Absolut vodka company apologized Saturday for an ad campaign depicting the southwestern U.S. as part of Mexico amid angry calls for a boycott by U.S. consumers."

That's an excerpt. The rest of the story can be found on googlenews and elsewhere.

Great Marketing.....if ya ask me.
Overall, I think I'm inclined to agree. Maybe a bit in poor taste to some, but after all it's just a Vodka ad. I'd bet it wasn't even intended to send any sort of a 'message; at all. Some poor graphics designer just thought it was a cleaver idea, and now (s)he is undoubtedly unemployed.

Seems like in the grand scheme of things the world's got bigger things to worry about being P.C. about.

Seems like in the grand scheme of things the world's got bigger things to worry about being P.C. about.

If we could just eliminate the need to be PC at all, now that would be progress!

If we could just eliminate the need to be PC at all, now that would be progress!
Hummm, have to 'digest' that for a minute...

If you mean in the sense of everyone should be able to say whatever they want without concern that they offend others, I'd have to disagree.

OTOH, if you mean in the sense of - Wouldn't it be wonderful of eliminated having to be politically correct, as in - Wouldn't it be wonderful if we eliminated racism; then I agree.

Hummm, have to 'digest' that for a minute...

If you mean in the sense of everyone should be able to say whatever they want without concern that they offend others, I'd have to disagree.

OTOH, if you mean in the sense of - Wouldn't it be wonderful of eliminated having to be politically correct, as in - Wouldn't it be wonderful if we eliminated racism; then I agree.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines that if you choose to be offended by everything anyone says then you have greater issues. And Ken, I'm not speaking of you personally as that "you," but whatever picture you choose to see behind those rosey lenses I suppose. grin.gif

How about if we were simply able to be honest with each other in conversation? Perhaps realize that having a different opinion doesn't make you better or worse of a person. It just means that you've found a different thought; there are many paths on the mountain.

As long as we respect each other's decisions whether we agree with them or not, much more can be resolved because there will be much less need for dogmatic thinking on all sides of the issue.

Or, we can stick to the multicultural/P.C. world of the last 20 years or so where everyone has to be a "winner" so their feelings and their "self esteem" aren't damaged. Where we have to hyphenate our heritage because accepting ourselves as part of a greater "thing" doesn't make us feel "special" enough...

Oh well, back to decaf for me... feel free to resume complaining about whatever evils the politician of your choice has foisted upon the world. smirk.gif

Ramen...

MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Absolut vodka company apologized Saturday for an ad campaign depicting the southwestern U.S. as part of Mexico amid angry calls for a boycott by U.S. consumers."

Angry calls for a what?

You gotta be kidding. When did the country become full of dipsh!ts who get angry over things like this?

Oh, nevermind.

Angry calls for a what?

You gotta be kidding. When did the country become full of dipsh!ts who get angry over things like this?

Oh, nevermind.

As the left coast goes, the right coast follows.... lmao.gif

As the left coast goes, the right coast follows.... lmao.gif

Which way is up?

I think tomorrow, just to send the spineless into spasms of outrage, I'm going to walk the streets of Manhattan ... wearing a Klansman's outfit with the white sheet and hood; but with an "Obama for President" sign; except wearing a Nazi armband; only with a wig that makes me appear to be an Orthodox Jew.

That should be enough to offend everyone dontcha think?

How about if we were simply able to be honest with each other in conversation? Perhaps realize that having a different opinion doesn't make you better or worse of a person. It just means that you've found a different thought; there are many paths on the mountain.

As long as we respect each other's decisions whether we agree with them or not, much more can be resolved because there will be much less need for dogmatic thinking on all sides of the issue.

Can't argue with any of that. That would indeed be ideal.

I do think we each have a certain 'duty' to 'make our case' for what we believe, in an intelligent, well thought out, decisive even, manner. But in an ideal world it could/should be able to be done without all the overtones of attacks (personal and collective) that goes on now.

But alas, that's an utopia we seem to be moving away from, not more toward.

So, what exactly is offensive about this ad? Is the U.S. not supposed to know about this plot? Shouldn't we already know that there is a movement in Mexico to reclaim this land and that it is used as an excuse to cross over the border for jobs? Or is it just rubbing the collective Mexican nose in the fact that they are less than they were because we cheated them out of so much territory? Maybe I should be offended if I think of it as their way of saying that, because of illegal immigration, they'll be able to take back the territory one day as more and more people come across and gain citizen/voter status.

Sorry, I found it funny---admittedly at my expense--but funny nevertheless.

I do think we each have a certain 'duty' to 'make our case' for what we believe, in an intelligent, well thought out, decisive even, manner. But in an ideal world it could/should be able to be done without all the overtones of attacks (personal and collective) that goes on now.

I agree Ken.

ShovelStrokeEd

Cheated??

No, we didn't cheat them. The territory was ceded to us by Mexico after we won the Mexican American war which was started when Texas, then a Mexican state, declared its independence. See Mexican cessation and the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidaljo.

Seems to me that a lot of issues could be resolved if the USA annexed the "remainder" of Mexico! (only partially tongue.gif !)

Seems to me that a lot of issues could be resolved if the USA annexed the "remainder" of Mexico! (only partially tongue.gif !)

I agree with this. They have great vacation land, oil, and a work force. We have welfare benefits, jobs, and markets. The mexicans would see a rise in their standard of living and we could cut the drugs off at the small border south of Mexico. The issue is that the really wealthy class in Mexico would not allow their corrupt system to be fixed. thumbsup.gif

That should be enough to offend everyone dontcha think?
Not quite... you'll also need to carry a placard extolling the virtues of banning guns, promoting abortion, mandatory prayer in school, regular hunting season for whales and spotted owl, and promote a new elementary school lunch program based on genetically engineered products. thumbsup.gif
The issue is that the really wealthy class in Mexico would not allow their corrupt system to be fixed.

I agree, but that hasn't stopped us elsewhere......

Archived